Personal View site logo
Green means cold
  • 70 Replies sorted by
  • Thorium is abundant in Norway and in surface mountain, so easily harvested. In fact the main obstacle has ironically been the in-bred nuclear scepticism in the norwegian green (red) movement. Technology has been deployable for a long time from what I understand.

• @eyenorth

From what Australia's Doctor Karl said recently in response to a question about lack of research into thorium reactor technology, it simply comes down to a lack of investment. Money is conservative and quite often risk-averse. The reason why we're stuck with uranium & fission is the same reason we seem not to have looked hard enough beyond combustion engines. As a race, we tend to stick with what works.

• In the increasingly lucrative solar photo-voltaic panel industry, the EU's threatened tax on Chinese, sold-below-cost solar panels, has already led to a jostling for sales by Chinese retailers. Several now via Alibaba are suddenly advertising their panels as "Manufactured in Malaysia" so non-taxable in Europe . http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/100578117/Solar_Panel.html

• One country to put on the energy watch-list may well be France.

On yesterday's news they covered the issue of rising electricity prices: in part due to the need for France to replace its now-aging nuclear reactors. Having benefited from high-wattage assets (like, for example, all those years of fast electric trains and over-production of electricity leading to the exporting of some of the excess), France's reactors are getting old just as the country itself is facing competition in each of its sectors.

Meanwhile, people are demonstrating against any more wind-farming. The Chinese are dumping solar panels into Europe.

Will the need for economic survival be enough for France to innovate in nuclear power research? Watch this space.

• Solar power off-grid storage at last - the Tesla Home Battery

The Tesla battery will be initially available in 10 and 15 kWh configurations.

http://www.energymatters.com.au/renewable-news/tesla-home-battery-em4790/

• @goanna

Well, it is mostly PR thing. As they have no idea if they could actually make it and sell at any good quantities.

• @goanna

Well, this thing is costly. Is dangerous (for home use). Recharge cycles is same as in any other Li-Ion battery. Real capacity will drop quite fast, and also drops rapidly in low temperature.

• Maybe it's because I'm really under the influence of my country (France) and despite the fact I hope for clean energy, I'm still believing a lot into Nuclear power plant IF all precautions have been taken to ensure it's safe. I landed on an article recently:

http://nextbigfuture.com/2009/08/how-much-uranium-is-in-solar-system.html

Do you think it would be interesting to harvest Asteroids' minerals in the belt. I'm not suggesting right now but maybe in a long shot in about a century or two in the future? I kinda smiled at the estimation saying there's about 100 billion $ for each people on earth, I wonder what future corporations wealth will be like if space conquest happen.

• @GeoffreyKenner

Do you think it would be interesting to harvest Asteroids' minerals in the belt. I'm not suggesting right now but maybe in a long shot in about a century or two in the future?

Most probably - never.

Most of this writings are estimation and fantasies.

Reality is bleak and gloom. Problem with Uranium supplies are serious and current (primary cause of Germany and Japan nuclear plants reductions were direct US orders).

• From "Death spiral begins for Australian electricity companies" -ABC Australia

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/scienceshow/death-spiral-begins-for-australian-electricity-companies/5443136

Australian electricity prices have doubled over recent years leaving consumers paying some of the highest prices in the developed world...

This makes alternatives such as solar power increasingly attractive, leaving fewer consumers of grid electricity paying the price for a policy built on false projections.

What happens next in the death spiral is this: The power companies only get revenue by selling kilowatt-hours. With each consumer who converts to solar, the only way the company can react and continue to repay their infrastructure debt is to increase the price of each kilowatt-hour to be paid by the remaining consumers, meaning each remaining consumer receives a bigger electricity bill and so so even more make the move to solar. And the so the power company's death-spiral continues.

Until now, consumers have stayed on-grid for their overnight power - until this happened:

The power companies, in attempt to stop the death-spiral, threaten to stop raising the KWh price- and instead impose a Daily rate just for people to be connected to the grid at all.

People like me, in country areas, have been preparing to go off-grid for some time, in order to kiss goodbye to the inevitable daily charge. In the last month I've retired my small fridge and got a digital inverter one (draws less current at startup, runs slow instead of continually turning off-on); I've also retired my gorgeous but inefficient Viera TV in favour of a six-energy-star model. My evaporative air-conditioner, however, poses a problem: it runs at a constant 80-watt but draws more VA at start-up than the current deep-cycle batteries can provide. But Li-ion batteries will throw all the power at my air con it wants for those 5 seconds at start-up.

Around me, at the bush cattle stations, there's a similar problem: starting a 2 horsepower electric pump water at 60 meters underground needs a system of capacitors to provide temporary power - and they fail too often, requiring an expensive visit from a technician up to 600 km away. Cattle station managers are lining up for Li-ion batteries.

I read in my TV and fridge manuals that these appliances are being sold in places like Africa and India where grids are non-existent or unreliable.

This is a long-awaited innovation. It won't be driven at first by city-dwellers, but by those of us for whom it's either cheaper or else the only choice.

Whether it's Tesla or one of the hundred other companies, it's an idea whose time has come. For power companies who stay coal-power-only, there'll be no getting the toothpaste back into the tube.

Tesla’s New Battery Will Make Lithium Ion the Next AA Meanwhile, companies like Fuji Pigment are working on aluminium-air batteries, for example, that could be cheaper and far more efficient than lithium-ion batteries.

http://www.wired.com/2015/05/tesla-powerwall-will-make-batteries-commodities/

Rivals abound but key challenge will be driving down price of home battery packs So far the market for electricity storage remains small, though growing quickly; last year about $128 million worth of such batteries were installed around the country, mostly at utilities..

http://www.wsj.com/articles/will-teslas-newest-battery-pan-out-1430522030

• @goanna

I remember you to be proponent of solar and such energy. And in isolated places and specific climate it is sustainable and works quite good.

Unfortunately any attempt to make it mass, sustainable technology, suitable for everyday and comparable to grid solutions will fail in long term.

• developed countries are going to have to lower their standards of living. Only logical choice.

• developed countries are going to have to lower their standards of living. Only logical choice.

You have quite ill logic.

As if developing countries (aka colonies) will be forced to lower their standards it could keep or even rise standards in ruling countries.

• That's why I said "Developed" countries. Developed industrialized countries are the big polluters. A dirt farmer in Sudan isn't contributing much to climate change.

• Tesla Powerwall storage battery books $800m in first week orders

Financial Review May 10 2015

Tesla is already building a 5- million-square-foot battery factory. It's not big enough.

SOLD OUT UNTIL MID-2016

There's also no way for Tesla to keep up with the level of demand reflected by the early reservations. The company is sold out of storage batteries until mid-2016. Musk claimed the production of storage batteries alone could "easily" take up the entire capacity of Tesla's $US5 billion factory in Nevada, which is scheduled to open next year.

• I can't believe we aren't building Nuclear Power plants as fast as we possibility can.