Personal View site logo
OLED TV prices are falling
  • 53 Replies sorted by
  • Vitaliy, did you say you own an OLED? I almost got one as my hero monitor for my grading studio, but than I heard people where having issues calibrating them... is yours calibrated? If so what did you use to calibrate and how accurate did you get it?

• Per pixel, the new 4k OLEG displays are even cheaper

LOL

1080p OLED also has good advantages due to much bigger size of each pixel (hence much more stable color and much less issues with lifetime and other issues).

Plus 4K content still has huge issues (as it is absent) :-).

The only thing I dislike about them is this idiotic "curved" design, which is not really for the benefit of the viewers, but done to achieve the necessary mechanical stability with less material / cheaper.

Constant mentioning of it also is quite pointless. I see nothing wrong with it (as owner of such set also).

Also annoying is that even in 2015's youngest models, you cannot rely on the TV itself to display videos at decent bitrates, there's plenty of restrictions to deal with, basically forcing you to use external hardware for replay. Citation from the handbook of the LG 55EG9600:

Better use

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/11867/4k-internal-tv-players/p1

Most of the time actual restrictions are higher, as ones mentioned comes from the profiles specifications.

• Per pixel, the new 4k OLEG displays are even cheaper -

The only thing I dislike about them is this idiotic "curved" design, which is not really for the benefit of the viewers, but done to achieve the necessary mechanical stability with less material / cheaper.

Also annoying is that even in 2015's youngest models, you cannot rely on the TV itself to display videos at decent bitrates, there's plenty of restrictions to deal with, basically forcing you to use external hardware for replay. Citation from the handbook of the LG 55EG9600:

Maximum data transmission rate:
      Full HD
       H.264 1920x1080@60P BP/MP/HP@L4.2 20Mbps
       HEVC 1920x1080@60P MP@L4.1, Main10 Profile@L4.1 20Mbps
      ULTRA HD Video [For ULTRA HD model only]
        H.264 1920x1080@60P 4096x2160@30P BP/MP/HP@L5.1 50Mbps
        HEVC 4096x2160@60P MP@L5.1, Main10 Profile@L5.1 50Mbps
     We do not support any stream that contains GMC (Global Motion Compensation)
     or Qpel (Quarterpel Motion Estimation).
    ATTENTION: Your ULTRA HD TV may not support HEVC encoded contents that are
    not officially supplied by LG. 

So don't think you could ask the TV to replay your just recorded raw GH4 .mp4 files... better keep your "HDMI-2-with-yuv4:4:4-support"-connected PC around...