Personal View site logo
NAB 2015
  • 125 Replies sorted by
  • There was a device I didn't get to track down, a handle that had a cradle for a horizontal mounted smartphone above it ... that it kept perfectly horizontal no matter what you did with the handle. I saw a few people with them but never caught one to see what it was or who made it. Was a fascinating device!

• No ... it was even smaller than that, a handle with a couple arms that came up to cradle the phone. Even the handle was smaller. And I looked through the Lanparte booth in case it was theirs. Fwiw, the handle had a gold or brass colored ring near the top ...

Neil

• @rNeil

I did not mean this exact gimbal. Of course another manufacturers also make such.

• Understood. The other one I saw was cooler though ... which is why I was so bummed I never tracked it down! I'd see someone using it while I was in conversation, then race all over to catch them ... and missed every time. Thought it would be a great thing to post here. Ha.

Neil

• Don't shoot, but,.... I kinda enjoyed watching all the videos from NAB without seeing PB in every other shot. I think I had PB fatigue.

• Actually ran into Dave Dugdale on the floor ... I'm 6'1'' (186cm) and he's probably 6'4" or even 6'5" (195cm) ... so it's very easy for me to look over enough heads to see his towering over every one a ways off. Still, amazing to run into anyone you know in those huge spaces ... really four large tradeshow areas with thousands & thousands of people.

Introduced myself, and also mentioned I'd be noting some things back here which he found interesting ... and all in all, he seems just as affable and gentle a soul to talk with in person as he does in his vids. We shared notes about interesting booths to each of us and naturally the fatigue and mind-freeze that sets in during that show. And interesting as of course, I recognized a lot of the people including the models in the Panny booth.

The problem of the Canon small-form models (including DSLR's in that) getting peaking/false-color/scopes is the same as with the Panny GH4 log firmware, I think. The "pro" section of the company, that makes the AJ and Varicam cameras for Panny or for Canon the C300 and up, think that releasing "pro" features that they've always specialized in to the mass-market division dilutes their "brand" and special-ness. To them, this devalues the sales potential of THEIR camera line. So though we the users that won't probably ever buy a C300 or Sony F5 or Panny Varicam want such things, there's a big section of the company that sees this as internal competition.

Neil

• Thanks Neil for sharing with us, I hope you could enjoy it.

• @rNeil thanks for the great coverage of NAB much appreciated :)

• Thanks ... just wish I could have done more, but some of the personal things I was down there for ended up taking larger blocks of time than expected ... happily so, but still ... there's SO much it would have been fun to share more.

Neil

• @MikeLinn Got a great showing of that new Aputure light by their US Sales Manager, the guy in this vid. He was rather excited but had reason to be. I looked at all the lower-cost LED bricks I could get to in the time I had, and no one had a rig that put out as much light and as CLEAN a light for the buck as this one. A most impressive unit. And yes, that bit about putting the controls on a cord where you could adjust without either using a ladder or bringing the light down looks dang practical.

Neil