Personal View site logo
Samsung NX1, $1300 4K flagman
  • 1157 Replies sorted by
  • Could someone be polite and describe exactly what the audio problem is?

Thanks.

• Did you download my file? It says everything... The main problem is this filter:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise_gate

Maybe my NX1 has an hardware issue? can someone else put a short clip with audio online?

edit:

@markr041: I hear this issue in your museum video, too, but it´s not so easy to catch in this case, because the audio level in the museum is very high. You wrote "manual audio mode at setting 7". Has the NX1 a switch between manual and automatic audio mode? If so, I can´t find him.

• Yes, I posted just before yours. Thanks.

• Samsung did not say that they fixed any sound/noise issues with the 1.22 update.

See http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/EV-NX1ZZZBQBUS (hover the mouse over the blue "?" just above the download button to read the release notes).

I do not see any change in the hissing noise presence from previous firmware version. Samsung, please fix it!

• Sorry for jumping the gun on the noise issue guys, thought it was fixed from a quick and dirty test but that appears to not be the case.

• The thought occurred to me, that if only Samsung added a second card slot to the NX1 it would be much better suited for semi pros as an alternative to cameras such as a D7100. As having a back up card, even if it is just JPEG or 720p is very very handy in a worst case disaster scenario. It doesn't even have to be SD, could just be micro SD. As micro SD wouldn't take up much extra space in the small body (and they've already used micro SD beforehand for their NX300M).

• @geoffcbassett Thanks for you calification over my interest in the sharpness factor, but, there is something to fix. There is no reason why one mode is sharp than another, but more: its something like a mini blur or bilinear scale. Considering the incredible job in the downsampling from the entire sensor to 4K, with serious algorithm that demostrates the limits of detail, something is wrong in the 4K DCI mode.

• In terms of why DCI mode would be less sharp, it's down scaling less than the UHD mode. Both modes come from the same sensor width, so the more downscaled UHD will most likely be sharper because of that fact.

The reason I take issue with things like this is because the camera needs to be improved in other more important areas before concentrating on the DCI mode being slightly softer. Namely rolling shutter, higher bitrates, 1080p HDMI out, 10-Bit, and other things that will help improve the cameras film-making ability that are more important than an issue that may or may not be able to be fixed.

• In terms of why DCI mode would be less sharp, it's down scaling less than the UHD mode. Both modes come from the same sensor width, so the more downscaled UHD will most likely be sharper because of that fact.

Due to math downscaling is not very simple thing. Certain size that is very close to others can be more fuzzy. You can try to make downscale by 50% and after it by 49%, for example.

• Can anyone with an NX1 please share their experience using it with Lightroom in a tethering scenario (even if it's just Watch Folders mode) how well does it work if for instance I'm trying to shoot and print to a printer about 60 pictures per hour? Will the "tethering" be a bottleneck in any way?

• Thanks for the card comparison Vitaliy, will probably pick up a few of those Transcend Cards.

• It's weatherproof, so:

• It looks that 1:1 cropped 4K mode from NX500 will come to NX1 soon.

• One thing I want to remind Samsung firmware writers about - you have USB 3.0.

As your firmware is based on quite complete OS it is not so hard to add support for external HDD/SSD and make it work at fastest speed possible, even if it will require external power.

Ohhh... that would be attractive! USB 3.0 could handle raw? Could the NX1 processing power keep up to output it?

• Could the NX1 processing power keep up to output it?

You do not need power for raw. Quite in reverse. All you need is interface speed.

• NX1 1080P 240fps

Is that for real?!

• In the you tube comments section it said by After Effects... hopefully someday the NX1 will be able to do this natively.

• shootout with blackmagic Prod cam and Panny

• EVF problems in videorecording (firmware v1.22):

i can't switch display/EVF
    i don't see AF area indicator in EVF
    i can't use SAF in EVF

Please help, are there some settings for it? Thank you.