Personal View site logo
Is there an alternative to Vimeo
  • 51 Replies sorted by
  • @triskel Your line of thinking is extremely flawed for someone pursuing work in any creative profession. You're basically saying that you should be able to dictate what's in the best interest of the artist without having to consult them or pay royalties.

Think about it this way:

What if someone were to steal footage from one of your projects and use it in their own? Setting credit and compensation aside, you might not want to support the entity that stole your footage for any number of reasons.

While you might not be turning a profit directly from the videos you wish to upload, you ARE using your videos to market your capabilities. Future paid work might be acquired in part by having shown someone the videos where you are using these audio tracks.

Edit: I've recently run into a series of false copyright claims on Youtube. Some of my "competition" have been trying to push me out by filing these claims in the hopes to have my videos completely removed. In this instance I've got a series of tutorial videos uploaded that contain nothing but footage shot by myself and the sound of my voice. The claim is that I'm using a music track that has a copyright. This isn't the case at all as I never use music in these videos.

Unfortunately, the copyright claim platform is all too automated and has virtually ZERO human input. I'm going to have to get an attorney involved in order to sort through all of it if I want to keep that steady stream of revenue. Youtube, Vimeo, insert other forum here are all stuck in this gray area while the new era of copyright sorts itself out.