Personal View site logo
GH4 Firmware News
  • Post any news about upcomimg rumors or releases of gh4 firmware. Im personally really excited about the V-Log color profile that may come soon or the confirmed 4k hdmi output that's confirmed.

• 69 Replies sorted by
  • Probably this V-Log can be used on GH2 in a new patch somehow... or just partially.

• I was excited about v-log too but I think I saw on a Panasonic interview somewhere that it wasn't coming to the GH4 for whatever reason and would most likely be delayed until a future model. I hope I'm wrong though.

• I don't keep my hopes too high. In my opinion (based on past Panasonic behaviour), they want to keep the cycle of a new product announcement at the 14-18 months cycle, and they want to have enough "woo factor" for the new model to entice the buyers by the way of the a feature list. Consequently, a new firmware in the second half of the produc's life is rare (except for fixing glaring bugs and major complaints).

For example, I had high hopes to have a focus peaking for my GH3 later on via FW update, and I doubt that hardware limitation was a factor in not providing it. Also, I speculate that they have locked down the FW so the tinkerers would not introduce new features to extend the life of an "old" product.

The negative of that approach is that one doesn't buy a camera for the long term anymore, hoping for some improvements and fixes as time goes by. You buy it only when you actually need it, knowing that in a few years it will be obsolete - or wait for the next intro cycle.

• If they don't come up with a good firmware, i think Samsung may cause serious issues to Panasonic. A lot of people bought the Gh4 for 4k Video, not so many for it's crop factor or for M43 format so i think they must be afraid of the NX1 who perform better in many aspects (the new firmware is awesome). Not to mention the shallow depth of field and photography quality.

Anyway, I would like to see VLOG and some improvements, but nevertheless, i think a bit like you and I don't expect much. But if this update is only about DMW-YAGH, i will sell my GH4, lens and all the stuff for the NX1 with no regrets.

• Samsung NX1 has some nice features but they are not well know camera manufacturers. I don't think Panasonic has much to be worried about from a market share perspective.

• Samsung NX1 has some nice features but they are not well know camera manufacturers.

Samsung make cameras for long long time :-)

I don't think Panasonic has much to be worried about from a market share perspective.

Panasonic managers think otherwise, and something tells me that they know better.

• Release notes for v2.1

AG-GH4 Ver 2.1

1. Timecode can be embedded to the HDMI output signal.
      • Selectable in Motion Picture menu:[Time Code]>[HDMI Time Code Output]
      • Available when AG-GH4 or AG-YAGH are connected with the products of ATOMOS Global Pty. Ltd. or the products complying with the extended specifications of ATOMOS Global Pty. Ltd..
    2. RSS (Recording Start/Stop) signal can be embedded to the HDMI output signal.
      • Selectable in Motion Picture menu:[HDMI Rec Output]>[HDMI Recording Control]
      • Available when AG-GH4 or AG-YAGH are connected with the products of ATOMOS Global Pty. Ltd. or the products complying with the extended specifications of ATOMOS Global Pty. Ltd..
    3. FHD at 30p/25p native output via HDMI is available while recording video in FHD at 30p/25p.  * Selectable in Motion Picture menu:[HDMI Rec Output]→[1080/30p Set.] or [1080/25p Set.]
    4. Playback performance of recorded 4K video is improved.
    5. [Time Lapse Shot] Program is fixed to start recording at the designated time even when [summer time] is set.
  • They change the name from DMC to AG for the GH4?

• No news about V-log?

• Wow, great update ........

• No V-log…. dammmm

• We will have to wait for the GH5 for V-log I'm sure...

• This update is lame. It has being shown that there's no improvement of the 10bit 4.2.2 external image over the internal 8bit 4.2.0 so the atomos and external recording update is useless. Well there's not much that the GH4 will offer.

I was hoping for V-log and some kind of a 4k anamorphic like the photo mode in 24p. But looking at Panasonic's patterns, you're gonna have to buy a new camera for that ie GHxx

• It has being shown that there's no improvement of the 10bit 4.2.2 external image over the internal 8bit 4.2.0 so the atomos and external recording update is useless. Well there's not much that the GH4 will offer.

I'll tell you horrible truth - very few cameras have any meaningful information in low 2 bits in 10bit data.

Just due to their SNR.

• Then why will they include it if they knew it wasn't very meaning full with high SNR? I will call out Panasonic for false advertisement then lol. Wait, other manufacturers do it too.

• Then why will they include it if they knew it wasn't very meaning full with high SNR? I will call out Panasonic for false advertisement then lol.

People are moaning for this. They react.

• 10 bit RAW photos are much better than 8 bit JPGs so the sensor is quite good anyway.

• 10 bit RAW photos are much better than 8 bit JPGs so the sensor is quite good anyway.

This statement make no sense. As 10bit raw photos are impossible to compare to JPEG ones, as it is not images at all. Or want to say that raw converter with some of your interference can make better looking images than you get via JPEG (with what setting exactly as it is plenty of them in any modern camera?).

• @HillTop1 - you'll see better chromakeying originating in 10bit

• Well, I guess the good thing is it will push me to consider the NX1 more or take it up a notch to a7S.

you'll see better chromakeying originating in 10bit

Yah, but people that have used the 10bit from the GH4 say it's not much different that the internal 8bit 4.2.0. In other words, that 10bit 4.2.2 could have a very high SNR as Vitaliy have suggested making it not very different from it's internal 8bit 4.2.0.

• Feels like Deja Vu all over again, considering folks looked forward to something that was never promised when the last V1.2 firmware was released.

• People want to see diferences working in 10bit files like they where working on 8bit files, applying the same settings from a 8bit grading in a 10bit file... and they expect to see diferences...

Everyone wants Flat profiles in 8bit... for what? You're limiting the color range in a limited color space resulting in more color tones being flatten in only one.

Yes, the V-Log makes sense in a future upgrade but only anyone that will use the hdmi output file will be able to take real advantage of that, everyone else will be only happy for a flat look (the "sepia" / "solarize" filter of our time).

I've worked with and with footage from a A7S and would't exchange my GH4 with one, i think that the GH4 well used and well configured is a much more capable camera than the A7S, but that's my opinion. People just love to buy gadgets and rarely want to take time to learn how to use them.

• Many want 10 bit on the GH4, but unless you have the latest NLE software most of us are probably using 8-bit capable software.