Personal View site logo
Overqualified and Unemployable
  • Sally had applied for a job at a college teaching the computer language she’d been writing about for years. In fact, the college was using her book as the textbook for the course. But they wouldn’t hire her. Why? She didn’t have a Master’s degree.

Now those folks who are working to get a Masters or already have one probably think that’s a good thing. Makes that extra two years in college really worthwhile, huh? Gives you job security, right?

But does anyone honestly think they can teach the course better than the person who wrote the textbook?

Sally wanted to work for a local organization that has a tendency to hire young people at low starting salaries. When she applied, she even offered to work at that low salary. And she was turned down.

I know why. Young people are inexperienced and far more likely to do what they’re told instead of tapping into experience to suggest improvements as they work. Employers don’t want smart, helpful people. They want drones — bodies to fill seats, push pencils, and get a job done without questioning what they’re told to do.

http://www.aneclecticmind.com/2015/01/23/overqualified-and-unemployable/

• 16 Replies sorted by
  • Since Sally worked as a freelancer before, she might consider using her knowledge on whatever computer language she wrote about to enter the profession of programming software as a freelancer. At least where I live, that is a common thing experienced IT people do (often after they they did the same as a full time employee for some years).

• Since Sally worked as a freelancer before, she might consider using her knowledge on whatever computer language she wrote about to enter the profession of programming software as a freelancer.

IF you look at the link it is that she did. And wanted full time job instead. State of freelance market is horrible mostly now, btw.

• I did read the article - and read there she wanted to leave the field of writing text books (as a freelancer) because text books are not asked for that much any longer. I did not see mentioned her trying to work as a freelancer in software development.

Whether the market for freelancers in software development is good at the moment where she lives I cannot tell, but unlike text book writing, software development in general is still asked for a lot these days.

• Whether the market for freelancers in software development is good at the moment where she lives I cannot tell, but unlike text book writing, software development in general is still asked for a lot these days.

Freelance software development is in horrible state, as I told. Competition is fierce and prices are super low. Except only some very specific niches.

• This is why you make sure to network with the right people. I'm fairly average skills wise, but have always gotten great jobs. Of course attitude, communication, thoroughness helps compensate as well for my less than stellar programming skills.

• I'm fairly average skills wise, but have always gotten great jobs. Of course attitude, communication, thoroughness helps compensate as well for my less than stellar programming skills.

We are not talking about your skills here. As people constantly mix their own experience with overall situation and statistics. Yes, some people can live quite good, but in mass - it is not possible.

• My point is that most anyone can avoid this situation. It is not hard to float to the top.

• My point is that most anyone can avoid this situation. It is not hard to float to the top.

Well, it is not so (and I base it on quite good statistics I know). And worse thing in it - some inexperience guy could read this and start to think so.

• I think there is some truth to tosvus point. Political skill is the best skill.

• I think there is some truth to tosvus point.

Yep, I'll call it marketing and communication. But if everyone starts doing it it'll be all the same :-) In such areas tech give advantage only until it is minority that use it properly.

• I'd be curious to know what statistics you have that take into account being just a bit smarter than average and do certain things right.. In my experience, and I know many people in the software industry, it is not that hard. It is hardest right out of college, but after a few years you should be fine. #1 is to make sure you network, and I'm not talking just LinkedIn. Build relationships and you should have options and places to go.

• Vitaliy, I agree with your point if everyone does it, it will be the sane issues over again, but that is how it is everywhere. My response was about the now, not the future. :)

• 1 is to make sure you network, and I'm not talking just LinkedIn. Build relationships and you should have options and places to go.

Well, you can open any cheap book on how to reach success and it certainly has this advice :-) Yet it is right advice.

My point was just freelance software field is not good place for most participants and become worse every year. For some working using their connections and in the right specialization it can be good, but it could also happen that one day you'll be forced to learn from the start as water will vanish despite all the connections.

• Vitally's point is valid. Those with good people and networking skills will do OK. That is not "most anyone". Freelancers at anything seldom do as well as those working for someone else. He is also right that most companies that hire people to perform task want drones. They endeavor to categorize and classify even those jobs that require experience and intuition, much to their own harm, and to those higher-grade workers with those precious qualities.

• As a freelancer for 20 years & on two different continents I agree with VK & 4CardsMan.

I have never seen it as bad as I have now, having moved to a smaller market (for better quality of life), in media work.

• This is why you make sure to network with the right people. I'm fairly average skills wise, but have always gotten great jobs. Of course attitude, communication, thoroughness helps compensate as well for my less than stellar programming skills.

And this is why the world is falling apart...