Personal View site logo
Samsung NX1, $1300 4K flagman
  • 1157 Replies sorted by
  • @majoraxis @brianl

Check my post above! As you seem to ignore request.

I'll clear this topic soon.

• Considering NX1 vs BMPCC it is best to make separate slightly flamy topic. :-)

It's actually a bad comparison. They are night and day. Best to think of NX1 as techy geek machine with bells and whistles and bmpcc as a 16mm film cam. bmpcc is crude, I had to use stand alone light meter with mine, but has good DR and of course RAW that demands serious effort to grade. It's hard to imagine two cameras with less in common. I could see someone, on the other hand, go around in circles with GH4 and NX1 -- they have more in common.

• @ cantsin: What I was trying to communicate is if you don't have enough light with the BMPCC, which has been an issue for me shooting indoors, the BMPCC is not at its best...

When shooting outdoors, the less contrasty image and high dynamic range would be a benefit of the BMPCC.

Take it with a grain of salt that it I am preferring the NX1, I would prefer the GH4 or the A7S over the BMPCC as well. I acknowledge that others may feel completely the other way...

• NX1 has more dynamic range than the BMPCC? Has this been proven?

• Considering NX1 vs BMPCC it is best to make separate slightly flamy topic. :-)

• @majoraxis: You got it exactly wrong when you write "Are you shooting in a controlled studio environment and looking for absolute dynamic range and color space? Once you leave the studio - it's the NX1 all the way."

In a controlled studio environment, less dynamic range is not a problem because you can light for the camera's limited dynamic range - just by making sure that nothing is so bright that it clips and nothing is so dark that shadows get crushed. (This is why the GH2 fared so well against expensive cinema cameras in the Zacuto studio shootout, and this is why Hollywood could shoot cinematic films in times when film stocks had much less dynamic range than any consumer camera today.) But once you leave the studio and shoot in environments where you can' t control the light, you will be grateful for any extra stop of dynamic range that the camera will give you, in order to avoid clipped or underexposed, video-looking images.

• I am planning on picking up an NX1 as well, but I will sell my BMPCC.

The BMPCC is not the right camera for me and I have tired to make it work a number of times - even the LX100 worked better for the way I want to shoot - pan, zoom and stabilize in post. In the right hands and under the right conditions the BMPCC looks fantastic, no doubt about it.

I think it comes down to, if you want the flexibility to compose your shot after you shoot you need higher resolution to begin with - the NX1 deliver lots for resolution on top of everything else.

• @chopnshoot I plan on picking up a NX1, but I also plan on keeping my bmpcc for a while.

• @brianl You could also say one, the bmpcc, is for the professional user, and the other, the NX1 is for the common enthusiast user. Or you could say different tools for different jobs.

In the end, my point is both cameras could be used perfectly, for the right situation.

• Yep, two completely different cams. One is advanced and one isn't.

• The flat ProRes image you get out of the BMPCC is very appeal I not something you can get from most cameras. After having a chance to look at the sample image, the Samsung can give you a very nice flat image too. Not BMPCC flat but something that can take a simple grade and produce good colors.

• "Its more advanced in every way"

@brianl With the Bmpcc vs NX1 questions, we are talking about two completely different cameras. The reasons one would have to own either seems somewhat subjective I'd think, so "advanced" in terms of use would depend on the user, and his projects.

• I had the bmpcc. I think you'll appreciate the NX1 after using the bmpcc. It's more advanced in every way.

• @ chopnshoot ... then get the NX1 after the firmware 1.20 is released and test it on one of your projects against the BMPCC. Then keep the one you like the best. And let us know why :).

• my main focus is low budget music videos right now. I work in semi-controlled environments or a mixture of controlled and uncontrolled. I never shoot raw and I'm missing not having high frame rates. The idea of shooting 120p is very super attractive for my work.

• "Would I be a fool to give up my BMPCC for this camera?"

No - if great color out of the box, lower noise, better low light, better AF focus, higher resolution, better screen, has EVF, has touch screen, takes photos are your priorities.

Yes - if higher dynamic range and color space RAW recording, editable codec, use of c-mount lens and speed booster are your priorities.

I think the question is: Are you shooting in a controlled studio environment and looking for absolute dynamic range and color space?

Once you leave the studio - it's the NX1 all the way. Firmware 1.2 will bring a bit more dynamic range so it seems the dynamic range advantage may be less of a deciding factor.

Here's a screen grab from the Gamma-DR CES video where I turned up the contrast slightly, brightness and saturation a bit more in VLC media player. She moving in the frame, so she's a bit blurry, but the point of sharing this is that there is no (major) CC required - this is a total time saver. The DR is looking much better than with the normal Gamma.

GammaDR Vidlan CC sat.jpg
    1436 x 878 - 582K
  • Would I be a fool to give up my BMPCC for this camera?

• Watch with the sound off.

• Thanks, Vitaliy

• Anyone know about online store in Europe for this camera?

• Here is a quick UHD comparison between NX1 and GH4, recorded with flat profiles - before and after color grading (cc). The NX1 has obviously the firmware version 1.10. The new Gamma-DR profile in v. 1.20 should bring further improvement.