Personal View site logo
Samsung NX1, $1300 4K flagman
  • 1157 Replies sorted by
  • There's a post on EOSHD comments section near the bottom of the 3rd regarding the 1.2 firmware blog post with footage from CES with the 1.2 beta firmware showing the different Gamma types: Normal, Gamma-C and Gamma-DR. The poster made the h.265 footage available for download as well as posted a screen shot of each Gamma type.

Gamma-DR looks to retain more dynamic range as expected and does not seems not to require major color correction in post to make the colors look right.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/63s4q7yuwp7nk/CES2015_NX1

• Another recent (1/8/2015) NX1 review - geared rather toward stills shooters:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/132172-samsung-nx1-review-the-new-age-dslr-successor

It has a unique perspective on few points. Keep in mind that some of the negative points are based on standard settings and can be easily remedied with a set up that meets your needs. Nevertheless, I enjoyed reading it.

sales13.jpg
    724 x 483 - 57K
  • A simple explanation of the NX1 BSI sensor design and manufacturing process. A good way to explain it to your friends :).

http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/buying-advice/technology_guides/bsi-sensor-backside-illumination-advanced-technology-guide-60726

• I'm sure if the cameras gain more popularity we'll see some thrid party glass. The sigma art/sports lenses would really fill the gaps in the current line up

Full Samyang line is available in NX mount.

Samsung NX line is also most affordable quality lenses line on the market.

May be some top Sigma lenses will be good, yep. But I hope Samsung will make more of their own F1.4 line.

A nikon-NX speedbooster would be amazing. I would think it would be possible. Anyone know for sure?

Speed boosters will require protruding rear element for NX.

• I'm sure if the cameras gain more popularity we'll see some thrid party glass. The sigma art/sports lenses would really fill the gaps in the current line up. A nikon-NX speedbooster would be amazing. I would think it would be possible. Anyone know for sure?

• The flange distance is really big for a mirrorless (some technical advantage, or maybe thinking about going FF in the future?), but in practice the only pratical mount that you can adapt in a m4/3 and not in NX is the C-mount, and the C-mount lens could not cover an APS-C sensor.

If the NX mount becames popular, maybe more adapters and Speedboosters could be available to it.

• H.265 is no problem. I remember when GH1 hit the market and the hack was developed. Most people bitched and cry about AVCHD with its strange file system. now is normal.

Transcoding is a thing of transition or just taste.

This camera if hacked or exploited to its maximum limit could be a REAL game changer. Not only it has the capabilities to overcome competition by far but....I mean, fuck it's their first pro camera model. Samsung is learning fast and it seems to me they like this fast pace good results engineering model. Seems to be good communication between departments and likes.

Personally I don't like the mount of this camera. It's strange distance between sensor and mount. But the rest is getting really interesting. Even the lenses are quiet impressive.

Time will tell. I dont see this guy exiting the market as one hit star. Expect NX1MKII with all the sauces you like.

I was considering the gh4 now this motherfucker make my choice harder.

Damm firmware update. You shure ?

• Well if they have H.264 it surely will be even more popular, currently H.265 is too ahead of time.

• The encoders in most cameras are purely hardware-based, right? They're built to do just one thing, in one format, extremely quickly and reliably. So they wouldn't be able to "just add h264", it would be a hardware upgrade or change.

• I've been so tempted by this camera. I just told myself "Chill out, you don't need this plus its missing a lot of things." Then they added a lot of those things. Now I'm tempted again LOL.

I would like to know what "Pro Quality" means for 1080p footage.

I need to see someone shoot in this D Gamma profile. The dynamic range of the footage was a big concern for me.

• Would it be possible for the NX1 to get a firmaware upgrade for ProRes and CinemaDNG Raw like the BM Pockect Camera did!

• Serious update. No H.264 serious bummer. Still.....

• Samsung is NOT PLAYING AROUND! Man have they taken a huge swing for the fences on this camera. BRAVO!

• One surprise that's not in that firmware list is an option to record in H264 as the current H265 is a little ahead of its time, as far as requiring additional post production.

• The (supposed) use of Tizen in this camera could ease this kind of development pace?

We do not know. May be help comes from TV department that have huge resources devoted to OS now.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev and probably stopped the engineers dance between products (at least some) :)

The (supposed) use of Tizen in this camera could ease this kind of development pace?

• Holy crap.. Samsung's in the game, for sure.

• @MarcioK

This means that they have some smart and sane guy heading project.

I have big hopes for NX500.

• Holy mother...this is how you do a proper firmware upgrade.

(if all this will work, is another story)

• New firmware coming

Movie Mode Refinements

• Users can now adjust audio levels while recording video.
    • Users can now control ISO while recording video.
    • 23.98 and 24 frame per second rates now available for UHD & FHD.
    • Pro Quality mode added to Full HD. Previously only HQ and Normal were provided for FHD.
    • ​Display marker enhancements:
      • ​Gridlines and center marker overlays in movie mode are now visible.
      • Added 4:3 and 2.35:1 aspect ratio markers.
    • Added Action-safe area marker option.
    • ​The Samsung NX1 now supports Time Code through HDMI for use when using an external recorder such as the ATOMOS Shogun.
    • ​‘Free Run’ time code supported.
    • Time Code not supported for internal recording.
    • Two Gamma modes now provided for more control of aesthetic look of footage. Both gamma modes are designed for a more cinematic look.
      • ​C Gamma mode is a preset logarithmic color setting designed to deliver higher overall contrast.
      • D Gamma is a preset logarithmic color setting designed to capture a wider tonal range for increased dynamic range.
    • Master Black Level Control:
      • ​Users can now control dark level gamma.
      • 31 levels: -15 ― +15.
    • Three luminance level options are now provided:
      • [0-255], [16-235], [16-255].
    • AF speed control implemented for more cinematic autofocus control:
      • User can now select one of three AF speeds.
    • Added AF responsiveness control:
      • This is a new AF feature for controlling continuous AF behavior when tracking focus on a moving subject.
      • User can select from five different speeds to control how quick the camera will refocus and begin tracking a new subject if something comes in-between the camera and the original subject being tracked.
    • Added control for seeking specific frame to grab from video.
      • Users can select by individual frame in the forward direction.
      • If seeking in the backward direction frames within a half-second are selectable.

Physical User Interface

• Added Autofocus Lock (AFL) to movie mode. Users can now set the AEL button to lock focus in Movie mode.
    • ​Auto Focus/ Manual Focus Toggling to movie mode. ​Users can now set the AF ON button to toggle between auto focus and manual focus during recording.
    • ​Customizable physical user interface refinements:
      • ​Reverse the functions of the Mobile Button and the Record button.
      • Reverse the functions of the AF On button and the AEL button.
      • Reverse the direction of the Command dials based on preference.
      • Additional customization options to the functions of the command dials when in P/A/S/M.
      • Customize the Optical Preview and Delete buttons with a different function.

Wireless

• Bluetooth Remote – Can now use Bluetooth as simple remote trigger. Speeds up and simplifies using a smart device as remote control.
    • ​The Samsung Camera Manager App now provides the ability to trigger the shutter release / video start/stop from a smart device using Bluetooth as opposed to Wi-Fi
    • User can choose 'Quick transfer' which will send a QVGA still to the smartphone after it’s taken
    • ​The Samsung NX1 can now store multiple paired Smart devices. If a user has multiple smart devices, they only need to register them with the camera once to store them. For example, users do not have to re-register devices when shifting from a phone to a tablet.
    • ​Added wireless firmware updating:
      • ​When connected to a Wi-Fi network, the camera will notify users if a new firmware version is available, and will allow them to download and install the update wirelessly.

Other

• “Trap Shot” feature added to Samsung Auto Shot mode. Allows users to adjust the guide line so that when a moving object hits it, the camera will automatically take a picture.
    • ​PC tethering implemented:
      • ​Using Samsung Remote Studio software, the Samsung NX1 now supports tethered shooting via USB Windows PC only.
    • Samsung Remote Studio Software will be available via Samsung iLauncher.
    • ​Software Development Kit (SDK) for Windows PC:
      • ​Samsung will provide an SDK for Windows allowing developers to make remote access and control software for the Samsung NX1.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2015/01/07/samsung-answers-photographers-requests-preps-major-firmware-update-for-sams

• OK - whatever camera settings and h.265 conversion program and settings, as well as the NX1 firmware version has the right amount of detail in the shadows IMHO. I wonder if the new firmware has anything to do with it?