Personal View site logo
Same lens wider on gh2 than gh4 ??
  • I have a GH2 and a GH4.... When both are on AVCHD 1080 the 14 - 140 kit lens is wider on the GH2 than the GH4 ... Why? I'd hoped I'd be able to have the lens as wide as poss when shooting 4k (3840) but it's even tighter .... What recording format would allow the lens to record it's widest image ?? Thanks in advance...

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • GH2 has sensor that is bigger than m43, so in 16:9 image will be wider.
    Panasonic later dropped multi aspect sensor, now they just crop image from same m43 sensor.

• Damn! Wide lenses seem to be the achilles heel of these cameras and Panasonic go and increase the crop factor! ... Also struggling to match colours of GH2 & 4 but that's a different forum I guess .... Thanks for uber quick reply ... !

• i believe 1080p on the gh4 crops similar to the gh2 and it is only 4k which center crops from the sensor.

• GH2 has a 1.8? crop factor compared to the GH4 2.0 crop factor in 1080P. I really liked the GH2 crop factor. People were hoping they would have done a similar thing with the GH4, but it didn't happen.

• GH2 16:9-mode sensor diagonal is 21.41 mm.

GH3 & GH4 1080p sensor diagonal is 19.83 mm.

GH4 UHD sensor diagonal is 16.52 mm.

GH4 C4k sensor diagonal is 17.36 mm.

I put a full table of sensor mode diagonals at http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/gh2-usage/gh2-usage