Personal View site logo
Panasonic FZ1000 1", 4K video, superzoom, official topic
  • 297 Replies sorted by
  • @woolhats are your videos suffering from "micro-jitters" as seen in the Panasonic 12-35 f2.8 lens? I see some jittering going on in the 1st half of your video here:

Any idea what it was?

• @CFreak..on this "test" it was a strong wind up on the mountain ,I shot handheld and stabilized it in post.I also think I used autofocus.That might be the reason why you see Micro-jitters. Using a tripod and of cause manual focus should help.

• Owners can you comment on this -

• @kurth, yes I own this camera and can confirm this is a major issue (Manual Zoom & Focus)

It simply doesn't work properly. The other thing that is annoying is the time limit of 29 minutes - All other issues with this camera are non issues, as they can be overcome with the right application of common sense and in some cases, a couple of accessories.

Extremely compact compared to interchangeable-lens camera with similar lenses; Comfortable grip and controls; Bright, far-reaching 16x zoom lens; Excellent electronic viewfinder; Versatile tilt/swivel LCD; Excellent performance; Great image quality.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/panasonic-fz1000/panasonic-fz1000A.HTM

various11.jpg
    800 x 516 - 96K
  • @SAS thanks...this definitely changes the order of my wishlist ! The rx10 is looking more attractive.

• thanks...this definitely changes the order of my wishlist ! The rx10 is looking more attractive.

Sony also has AX100 and CX900 :-)

• I have just purchased one. Zoom isn't such an issue right now. But it needs higher bitrate in 1080p50, things are falling apart slightly. I have compared FZ1000 footage with my hacked GH2 36Mbit 720p50 footage and while GH2 retains "grain" in low light scenes, FZ1000 just smudges it...

• Try NR-5, which should reduce smudging of details in low light. How do you rate resolution of hacked GH2's 720p50 compared to FX1000's 1080p50?

• @Vitaliy

The fz1000 has many features I'd like...4k photo and 4k timelapse, and I'd also prefer the longer reach, but the sony has some things the pany doesn't as well....nd, clickless aperture, better build, higher bitrate 1080. And as to your suggestion, I prefer the formfactor of hybrid cameras, and that's after going thru hi8, minidv, dvcam, and hdv camcorders. Let's see what the shows bring on in the new year.

• About the issues on the video: I don't have (yet) the FZ1000, but I recall in some review that the reviewer said that you have an option in the menus to set to zoom to walk in steps corresponding to common focal lenghts (35, 50, 75mm, etc). Since the zooms steps on the video do not look linear, I guess that it could be the case.

About the zoom not being parfocal, it could be the case. But the reviewer in the video is clearly using autofocus - you only could be sure about the lens being parfocal setting it to manual focus, settings focus manually and after that moving the zoom distance.

The focus problem looks like that is as described - but I'm not sure that I've tried to move my focus rings in my m4/3 lenses. :) Will try at home. Maybe Panasonic made it this way to prevent accidental focus changes. But it clearly could be modified in firmware - albeit Panasonic is not usual to correct these thing in firmware...

Maybe someone which already have the camera could double check it - especially the zoom issues.

• @MarcioK

I own the camera, it does actually have menu options for zoom.. but these are:

Zoom Lever - Default/Stop at preset focal lengths/exposure control

Manual Ring (Zoom) - Default/Stop At Preset Focal Lengths

There are also options for extra iDynamic Zoom & Digital Zoom, basically an extension of zoom length while in 4k.

I have played around with these settings, in new firmware update, and can say that I have iDynamic on, Zoom Lever set to Stop at Preset Focal Lengths & Manual Ring (Zoom) Set to stop at preset focal lengths.

It seems to have less steps in the zoom control fluidity at these settings.. :)

• Hello, i've FZ1000 since September - it's a good camera. Shame is SDHC card slot - and battery.... (so for this, we'll not have a BatteryGrip ;( - best results for video is to off all i-resolution, and i-dynamic.... in 4K, 37mm at wide, in FullHD 26-28+more (depends of OIS and leveler - ON/OFF). The LCD on FZ1000 is OFF (after aprox5sec after REC push) when using ImageApp Wi-Fi. I'm using FZ1000 on 3Axis Gimbal stabilizer (Easystab) - and it works perfectly with stabilizer.... here is my little 2 test - one 4K, one 4K-toHDCrop possibility....

In test below i used my own settings for FZ1000

Enjoy 4K

4K to HDCrop -

• Hi. These are my first videos from this awesome camera.

• A little compilation done with the FZ1000

• How long can the US Spec FZ1000 record for in 4K mode? Does it have a 30 minute time limit?

• US model also has 30 min. limit due to heat.

• Greetings Gentlemen,

I've been using the FZ1000 since August 2014. You can find my in-depth user review on DPReview (same user name, Would post links, but not sure if I can yet as a new user).

Curious about 2 items, if these are hackable fixes:

1. Lens retraction: After 15 seconds of reviewing photos, or using the menu, the lens retracts automatically. Of course, 15 seconds is the amount of time I need to review such things, so exactly when I'm ready to shoot again the lens is retracting, then I must wait for it to extend again. As you can imagine, this gets really frustrating, and wastes a lot of battery power. I would love to be able to disable this auto-retraction.

2. Noise reduction is quite strong with this camera. Setting the NR to -5 appears to preserve luminance noise, but the NR setting has zero effect on chrominance noise - it is always obliterated. It's rather extreme, and creates posterization effects or colour blobs, especially visible on darker scenes. It would be nice to be able to reduce chroma NR in-camera without resorting to RAW processing.

Do changes like this seem feasible?

• small example how the manual focus Lumix FZ 1000 Manual focus. Picture of hand. I do not see breathing lens or other negative things. Your opinion ?

• Hello, friends!...Here is a comparison of the FZ1000 & GH2-optic Panasonoc 14-42mm,shots are taken from Timeline project 1080-25p

FZ1000 comp1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 225K
    FZ1000 comp2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 220K