Personal View site logo
Playback of edited 4K on camera
  • Hi all, I have searched for existing answers to this question/issue all over this site and google, but have yet to find anyone with the answer:

I have the FZ1000 but I hear the problem is the same for GH4:

I can currently only playback individual 4k clips in camera over HDMI to a 4k TV, but I wish to make an edit and play it back...

Is it possible, once I have edited a 4k Video, to make it playable in camera so that the edit can be displayed over HDMI on a 4K TV or monitor?

Many Thanks for any solutions, as my friend has a 4K TV and I have a FZ100 so we would like to be able to playback an edit in camera over HDMI so that we can watch my work..?

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • No, you can't.

• really? is it the same for the GH4? I am able to playback a 4k Clip on my friends 4k TV, I'm not sure why they make it impossible to playback a 4k edit?

• @SAS

ANY 4K TV can play 4K video files. All you need is to export in proper container and with bitrate at about 50Mbit. Put it into USB flash or on 2.5" HDD and go to your friend.

• Thank You Vitaliy !! You Saved me a whole heap of frustration :) now I can do what I need to do. Many Thanks.

• While I hope for SAS that you'll be using a 4k TV that actually can replay your 4k videos, I have only recently visited a friend who owns an LG 4k TV, and I was disappointed to find that it was unable to replay 3840x2160p24 .mp4 files encoded in either h.264 or h.265. It was able to replay h.264 encoded 1080p files with the same audio track, so its limitation was definitely regarding the resolution.

Thus I think SAS' question could use an additional response. It sure should be possible to prepare an .mp4 file that, when placed in to the DCIM/*/ folder, could be replayed by the camera.

Yet, it seems that the Panasonic firmware is very picky about the specific attributes of the MP4 container, and complains of not being able to replay a file if it ever so slightly differs from the format they expect.

I tried re-muxing original clips using MP4Box, and did not yet succeed in creating a clip that the camera would replay. But I'll spend some more time on investigating why that is.

After all, I would like to be able to take my LX100 with me to others for displaying edited videos, at times.

• I have only recently visited a friend who owns an LG 4k TV, and I was disappointed to find that it was unable to replay 3840x2160p24 .mp4 files encoded in either h.264 or h.265.

Sounds strange. Try to use MKV container instead of MP4.

• Any chance that Ptools will be able to modify the firmware of the FZ1000 just to remove the 30 min restriction? Thanks.

• I think that you can play edited 4k videos with GH4 if you name the edited file same way the camera wants to name it. It must be in DCIM/PANA101 or PANAxxx folder and the same additional files must be in other folders.

Easiest way is to maintain folders/files after shooting and replace only the first video file in DCIM/PANAxxx folder using the proper name (like Pxxxxxxxx.mp4 or .mov)

Cheap 4k TVs dont play 4k files. Example Panasonic AX680.