Personal View site logo
Samsung NX1 Open Source Development
  • As you can see from the Samsungs opensource dev web site (http://opensource.samsung.com/) they added also the source code of NX1. As I understand there wasnt too many developments for NX300 even though it has open source code released also.

Is the source code not enough for meaningful development? Or it is just to complicate to create and compile a new firmware based on the source code? Because I believe with such a strong hardware behind the NX1, there can be many improvements. Even bitrate or fps increases can be very beneficial.

• 9 Replies sorted by
  • Wait really...the NX1 is an open source camera!? That's awesome.

Let's remember the engineers of this camera had it reading the full 28mp sensor at 240fps during development - all as part of a debug mode for some silly baseball photo feature.

• This is incredible. From the reviews I've seen it seemed like all the issues the camera had were things that could be corrected via firmware.

• As far as I remember their other cameras it is source that they must publish due to GPL, all else is closed.

• it is source that they must publish

Is this in uncompiled Unix code? Will it not show how to address different chipset functions?

• So the important photo/video functions are closed in the firmware (like the codec settings, fps options, af tracking algorithm) and they are only publishing the code for their operating system?

• So the important photo/video functions are closed in the firmware (like the codec settings, fps options, af tracking algorithm) and they are only publishing the code for their operating system?

As far as I know every company who did any source disclosure did the same.

• I checked the files quickly to see if there is any reference to codec or fps options, didnt find anything reliable, seems like you are right.

Do you have any plans for "regular" hacking of the camera? It may be the next gem in your hands. And firmware is already released as you know (http://www.samsung.com/de/consumer/smart-camera-camcorder/cameras/nx-profi/EV-NX1ZZZBZBDE/).

• yes -- samsung is usually only sharing those parts they are obliged to, because its GPL licensed stuff. that's by far not enough to recompile and modify the working product, but it's a good starting point and an valuable source of information to start on hacking. it's very nice if you can use quite powerful open tool chains and well documented development software.

• Damn, 1.3gb of source (nx1.zip) is not enough to build the 700mb .bin firmware file? Must be a lot of Tizen libs or something.

The supplied text file does give instructions for compiling the nx1's kernel. What that means exactly I don't know.