Personal View site logo
Official GX1 hack development topic
  • 363 Replies sorted by
  • Thanks yskunto, that's unfortunate, I currently use a GX1 on a hexacopter for still photography and a GoPro (which I don't like) for video.

The GX1 provides a composite video output for photos which I feed back over a 5.8ghz link and it would be great if it would do the same when recording video.

The GH2, GH3 & GH4 are bigger and weightier (and more expensive) and the EVF or articulated screen have no value in this application.

Do you think is it likely that a future hack would provide a live video output on a GX1 when recording or is it technically impossible

Regards

• All Lumix is capable outputting photo and video through HDMI and video composite output on playback but not during photo and video taking. I do not understand well what your need is but if you only need photo and video playback during short range hexacopter flying, then all Lumix are capable through build in WiFi or WiFi SD-Card. I think GF6 is a good candidate if you need a lighter Lumix with build in WiFi to monitor photo and video taking. In my opinion, the codec on GF6 should be better compared to the stock GX1's codec.

As the possibility of GX1 outputting lives video through hack, only Vitally who knows it. For know, GX1 is incapable to do so including the newer GX7.

• The GX1 outputs video when taking photos but not recording video, I understand the Panasonic only enables that feature on the GH range. The GX1 also allows remote shutter triggering from the radio control system

The distance I need is up to 500m, I didn't think WiFi would operate at that distance also I would be worried that using WiFi on the Hexacopter might interfere with the radio control which also operates on 2.4ghz

Camera like the Sony NEX5 will output video while recording but my preference is to stay with Panasonic as I have a range of lenses and like the results better.

• Hi all,

Can GX1 MP4 480p mode be hacked for anamorphic correction, like MJPEG of previous models? If so, GX1 + hack + LVF2 would be a great little kit. Since I have never heard of this being done, I am afraid the answer is negative...

• Thanks Vitaly. I just bought a G3 really cheap on EBay to play with anamorphic, I guess that is my best budget option for now (I have a Sankor 2x anamorphic lens.) Now I don't have to think about getting a GX1. ;-)

• Vitaly will update ptool? PASM mode for video. Thanks

• Vitaly will update ptool? PASM mode for video. Thanks

I still did not made update, my big fault. As for PASM - this one I am not sure about.

• Any small incremental improvement that you will bring in the new PTOOL is very welcome, Vitaliy!

I am sure that even a hack that will release the PAL/NTSC switch and world language of the later Lumix cameras is a great news.
  • Japanese only GX1 now set to English. Thanks Vitaliy!

• Hi everyone,

I owned a GF2 since 2012 and bought a used GX1 recently for video shooting.

I hacked my GF2 with settings with over 100 Mbps in MP4 and the gear worked well with my Sandisk 45m/s card (U-1) Then I hacked the GX1 with the same setting (for example, driftwood's MOON T9) and used the same Sandisk 45 m/s card. Surprisingly GX1 always showed writing error due to card speed, which never happened with my GF2! I tried several lower mbps settings at around 60-70 mbps with my GX1, no writing error came up, but the video became very unsmooth when played in my computer. The unsmooth playback is obviously caused by the insufficient writing speed during recording.

Quite confused that GX1, a camera supporting SDXC U1 card, could have insufficient wrting speed problem which never happens with GF2, an older model without SDXC card support.

• Hi, With manual lenses, I can control the f-stop. With flicker reduction mode, I can somewhat control the shutter. However, without some way of locking the ISO, even moderately low light video clips are unusable due to the high levels the camera picks. I don't need PASM, just some way to lock the ISO while shooting video. It is so close. Thanks, Vitaly, for all that you have done

• @XISO

Yep, it'll be cool to make.

Thing is that it needs really big time to refresh all past knowledge and also find proper places.

May be we'll go the GH2 way.