Personal View site logo
Well, shit
  • 35 Replies sorted by
  • @vitaliy got any links with some accurate analysis of what's going on? All the big media links say shale, tar sands blah blah.

• @brianl

You can send PM and I can give you short version.

Very short version - energy redistribution. Our government and world oligarchs with company of nature itself decided to reduce energy consumption in our country. As they did previously in Ukraine. Period. All else is consequences or thinks made to mask main issue.

• Krugman's take:

If you’re the type who finds macho posturing impressive, Vladimir Putin is your kind of guy. Sure enough, many American conservatives seem to have an embarrassing crush on the swaggering strongman. “That is what you call a leader,” enthused Rudy Giuliani, the former New York mayor, after Mr. Putin invaded Ukraine without debate or deliberation.

But Mr. Putin never had the resources to back his swagger. Russia has an economy roughly the same size as Brazil’s. And, as we’re now seeing, it’s highly vulnerable to financial crisis — a vulnerability that has a lot to do with the nature of the Putin regime.

For those who haven’t been keeping track: The ruble has been sliding gradually since August, when Mr. Putin openly committed Russian troops to the conflict in Ukraine. A few weeks ago, however, the slide turned into a plunge. Extreme measures, including a huge rise in interest rates and pressure on private companies to stop holding dollars, have done no more than stabilize the ruble far below its previous level. And all indications are that the Russian economy is heading for a nasty recession.

The proximate cause of Russia’s difficulties is, of course, the global plunge in oil prices, which, in turn, reflects factors — growing production from shale, weakening demand from China and other economies — that have nothing to do with Mr. Putin. And this was bound to inflict serious damage on an economy that, as I said, doesn’t have much besides oil that the rest of the world wants; the sanctions imposed on Russia over the Ukraine conflict have added to the damage.

But Russia’s difficulties are disproportionate to the size of the shock: While oil has indeed plunged, the ruble has plunged even more, and the damage to the Russian economy reaches far beyond the oil sector. Why?

SNIPPED

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/19/opinion/paul-krugman-putins-bubble-bursts.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=c-column-top-span-region&region=c-column-top-span-region&WT.nav=c-column-top-span-region&_r=0

• @brianl

My idea is to keep it from some liberal theories about Russian economy that have very little to do with reality.

Extreme measures, including a huge rise in interest rates and pressure on private companies to stop holding dollars, have done no more than stabilize the ruble far below its previous level.

For example, it is simple lie. No one pressured "private companies to stop holding dollars", quite reverse.

Change of interest rate from 10.5% a year to 17.5% a year can't do ANYTHING if you have devaluation and volatility allowing to get 1000% a year. Actually, guys who do this never read even their own liberal books that explain basics on how interest rate adjustment works.

In contrary, our central bank provided around 17 trillions to private banks (with junk bonds used for warranty :-) ) of rubles almost all of them went into speculation.

• @brianl - you seem to believe whatever dumbshit they throw your way ! Rudy says what ? Guess what...head of stratfor admits the US orchestrated the ukrainian coup.

I offered no comment on the article. For all you know I posted it to be ironic. Krugman has habit of seeing things before they happen. But I guess you want to talk about Ukraine now.

• @kurth @Alienhead

This topic is not about it, please stay away from it.

• Strange to me how much Russians blame everyone except Russian leadership.

• Strange to me how much Russians blame everyone except Russian leadership.

LOL. I think you never had been here.

• I hope russia holds out. It might be the worlds last hope !

i think there's a bizarre prophecy by a famous psychic from the US in the 50s (?) named Edgar Cayce. something about Russia being the world's last hope.