Personal View site logo
The Salvation- superb cinematography
  • I did a review, look at the top of the list. Watch this film when you get the chance.

http://www.onbrokenground.com/Blog/post/2014/12/15/The-Salvation.aspx

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • I saw that film when it was doing the festival circuit - it's absolutely incredible.

• I saw last week, a great movie.

• Another great western from this year and with a superb cinematography is 'The Homesman' directed by Tommy Lee Jones and with Rodrigo Prieto as DP.

• I felt the cinematography in 'The Salvation' was way over the top considering the stringent tone in acting and storytelling they went for. The heavy processing in the day for night shots made me feel a little like I was watching a glossed up commercial.

• Despite I'm very fond of Madelsen, I wouldn't call The SalvatiOMG - - - and its digital blurs (right at the beginning), fake scenery backgrounds (all over composite mountains), heavy vignettes, very bad day4night with more heavy vignettes and bad lighting, awful costume and general colour palette, pseudo-dragan look and bad grading decisions in general, elephantic pace, lack of dialog, mediocre acting and even worst direction loaded with clichés - - - even a good flick. Cinematography wise, meh.

IMHO and without recurring to the classics, good cinematography at The Hurt Locker, Charisma, The Babadook (on the most exciting films of 2014), Haut Tension, Vanishing Waves, UC, The Rover, Zodiac, Cargo, The Quiet Earth, Incendies, Meek's Cutoof, Kairo, Cure, Ringu, The Crow, The Kill List, Absentia, El laberinto del fauno, A Tale of Two Sisters, The Messenger, Man on Wire, Kontroll, Black Death, Mesrine I & II, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, The Brood, Ghosts... of the Civil Dead, Brick, Elephant, Pusher trilogy, Van Diemen's Land, Rampart, Atonement, Nebraska, Revanche, A Simple Man, The Hunger, Trainspotting, Copie conforme, Shinobi, Take Shelter, The Twilight Samurai, The Interrupters, Day and Night Watch, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (original trilogy), Fargo, Zombieland, Caramel, Oculus, 9 Lives, Master and Commander, Headhunters, Wonder Boys, Me and You and Everyone We Know, The Secret Life of Words, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, Kekexili, The Dead, A Touch of Sin, The Master, Ill Manors, The Hunt, Holly Motors, Children of Men, Dark City, Do the Right Thing, The Thin Red Line, Kiewsloski Colours trilogy, Silk, The Wrestler, Reservoir Dogs, The Loneliest Planet, En La Ciudad de Silvia, La Ciénaga, Carancho, Borgman, Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, No Habrá Paz para los Malvados, El viaje de Carol, Resolution, Ichi the Killer, Junebug, Frances Ha, Byzantium, Old Boy, Thirst, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, All Is Lost, 28 Days Later, Matar a un hombre, Blind, Housebound, The Selfish Giant, Strangers by the Lake, Ida, Tore tanzt, The Edukators, The Bourne Ultimatum, Daglight, V.H.S., Starry Eyes, Asmodexia, Nightcrawler, Enemy, Pieces of Talent, The Descen I & II, Moon, Her, Carlito's Way, Sweet and Lowdown and Amores Perros just to put down a few =) *