Personal View site logo
Quad and Hexa copters
  • 423 Replies sorted by
  • Is there a particular site (or thread here) that gives a good general - call a review, of sorts - of the various copters now most popular with shooters? All the vids here are interesting, but I may be in the market for one soon and would like to find some real-world comparisons/pros-cons/etc before I pull out the credit card... so, I'm looking for one that can use a GH2/4-type camera solution, not a "one-in-all-GoPro" thing.

• so, I'm looking for one that can use a GH2/4-type camera solution, not a "one-in-all-GoPro" thing.

It is advanced and costly things. And go from DJI (not Phantom like) and similar things to fully custom hexacopters.

• Well, budget is always a relative thing... but the Phantom series hasn't overly impressed me. I've worked with footage from that rig shot by others, so wanting to be able to provide a step or three up from that. I see that DJI makes higher-end solutions though, so perhaps worth considering...

• Yea .correct vk. That market of copters for the next sized cams after gopro is almost missing without having to spend 3 to 4 times the cost of dji .im.also looking for.something for small dslr flying

• Most of the helis used to fly DSLRs and up are custom built. Only a handful of manufacturers are offering true RTF packages and even less that are worth it IMHO. But end user experience will vary based on all sorts of factors. Most important of those being flight experience and a solid understanding of the entire system. I'm comfortable behind the lens or flying around. But only been combining the two for the last few years. So still learning everyday. I've learned a ton over here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/channels.php?id=34

And here:

http://www.multirotorforums.com/forum.php

Regarding stepping up from GoPro rigs, expect to spend at least $3-4k minimum to get anything worthwhile that you can count on for paying clients. And let me also add that flying smaller, simpler craft first is highly recommend as a primer. Just like in your shooting kit, always have a back up on jobs. The back up Phantom2 has save the day for us on a couple of occasions. GoPro footage from it IMHO can cut with our other cams (FS700, GH2, GH3, 5DIII and 7D.) Here some examples sprinkled in with all the others. Everyone seemed happy.

• U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx today announced that the Federal Aviation Administration has granted regulatory exemptions to six aerial photo and video production companies, the first step to allowing the film and television industry the use of unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) in the National Airspace System.

http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=17194&cid=TW251

• How much weight can a phantom 2 fly anyway ..any chance the new panasonic g5 with panasonic 14mm plus gimbal might fly ?

• ..any chance the new panasonic g5 with panasonic 14mm plus gimbal might fly ?

If you attach camera on plastic mount (without gimbal) it can fly GM1 or GM5 with small light prime, I think.

• I posted a video of this on the other section but it belongs more here. I've included 2 other videos.

Sensefly eXom https://www.sensefly.com/drones/exom.html

• It's too bad the FAA and MPAA have spent four years totally screwing up the US for doing this kind of footage in any professional capacity. Infuriating in fact. Yet they have (so far) nothing to say about the bigger threat to public safety which is the non-professional hobbyist with a Phantom. If they end up making a mess it's just a local law enforcement thing, maybe civil court thing for damages. Like if your dog got out and destroyed a neighbor's property or bit a kid down the street.

• Hawk takes down a quadcopter

• Guys, look at this crazy production, reminds me almost on LOTR:

• Sensefly eXom - Flight demonstration

• @TetakPatak, that video is awesome. I love that part where he rides straight in to the fence, and flips over it..hehe. what a talent that guy has.

• Highly anticipated federal rules on commercial drones are expected to require operators to have a license and limit flights to daylight hours, below 400 feet and within sight of the person at the controls, according to people familiar with the rule-making process.

The agency also plans to group all drones weighing less than 55 pounds under one set of rules. That would dash hopes for looser rules on the smallest drones, such as the 2.8-pound Phantom line of camera-equipped, four-rotor helicopters made by China’s SZ DJI Technology Co.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/drone-flights-face-faa-hit-2014-11-23-231032216

• When they outlaw Private RC Flight, only outlaws will fly RC privately. :)

• EXEMPTION FROM SECTIONS 602.41 AND 603.66 OF THE CANADIAN AVIATION REGULATIONS
    Pursuant to Subsection 5.9(2) of the Aeronautics Act, and after having determined that the exemption is in the public interest and is not likely to adversely affect aviation safety, I hereby exempt persons conducting flight operations utilizing unmanned air vehicles (UAVs), with a maximum take-off weight not exceeding 2 kilograms, operated within visual line-of-sight, from the requirements of sections 602.41 and 603.66 of the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs), subject to the conditions set out below.

• In August, the Federal Aviation Administration missed a key deadline for developing rules for small commercial drones. That failure has infuriated businesses that want to test and use drones for delivering goods, monitoring crops and doing other awesome things.

"The consensus of opinion is the integration of unmanned systems will likely slip from the mandated deadline until 2017 or even later," said Gerald Dillingham, the GAO's director of civil aviation.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/12/10/the-faa-wont-make-up-its-mind-on-drone-rules-until-2017-at-the-earliest/

• Here's my showreel 2014.