Personal View site logo
GH1 Firmware Hack FAQ
  • 71 Replies sorted by
  • Can the camera be "reset" to its original state after the hack has been applied? Can it be "unhacked?"

Edit: By "the camera" I mean a new previously unhackable GH1.
  • @zerilliworks

Worst thing could be that camera will hang during video shooting :-)
    And you'll need to pull battery off.
    But use original fully charged battery for firmware update for safety, ok?
  • So I just started with the GH1. Lovely camera. I was just curious, what is the worst that could happen if you incorrectly configure a firmware patch? Will the camera just not take it, or will it brick the camera? I know that the battery MUST be fully charged to be safe during the actual firmware swap, but what if I just don't correctly configure it? Check all the right boxes, etc. I imagine the camera will just reject the firmware. Is this true?
  • >I may be totally stupid, but is that about the GH1 hack only? GH2 is still "under construction"?

Yeah, GH2 hack is in the development stage. I am working on it.
  • I may be totally stupid, but is that about the GH1 hack only? GH2 is still "under construction"? And what do I do if I'm a Mac user? Thx
  • xman: Are you shooting in PAL? Did you check the box for "30min limit removal" under Movie Related Restrictions when you did the hack?
  • My hacked GH1 stops recording every time it reaches the 4GB limit. The GH1 hack is stable in all modes & on all scenes and has not stopped or thrown an error (other than this). The 4GB clips are not corrupted and you can resume recording again without repowering. Any previous postings on this?

update 6th june:

yes this is a known issue -
    https://www.personal-view.com/faqs/ptool/ptool-faq

I have tested a modified form of the standard 'seta.ini' as in link below (ie. loaded a new hack in my gh1)

http://www.personal-view.com./talks/discussion/162/100mbps-max-latitude-patch-v2-updated-for-ptool-3.55d

My gh1 in FHD 25p mode now spans 4gb file ok without stopping on a fast moving scene (21mbps ave, 45mbps max) - so the patch to increase buffer size seems to work.

Also in my modified hack, I set SH mode (with these seta.ini values in link) but with frame rate at 720 60p & 50p and with sandisc class 10 card the camera locks up immediately on going into record whatever the scene (battery reset needed).
  • thanks schmoe im play with the cam a little more
  • blackseedz: AVCHD is a variable codec. If you record a low detail scene, the camera will still record at around 16-17Mbps. Record something with alot of detail like a leafy tree or grass blowing in the wind and you'll likely find that your camera bitrate shoots up to where you expect.

I thought the hack had not effected the bitrate when I first hacked my camera. I was still getting around 16Mbps. Then I shot footage of an elaborate test pattern and my bitrate shot up to 40Mbps and locked up my camera ;-)
  • it says i hacked my gh1 the firmware version 0.0 but when i record in avchd it comes up with the same old bitrate someone help
  • and its hacked!!!!!!! Thanks V
    Serial WE1AA00
  • @Toronto

Thanks for you input.

• MY BEGINNER TUTORIAL INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO INSTALL THE HACK ON YOUR 'UNHACKABLE GH1"

I got a gh1 'unhackable' about 1 month ago from B&H. Today I was able to get it working with Vitaliy's new ptool. Here is a beginner's version of what to follow that I used to get it to work. Also at the bottom are various quotes I have copied and saved over the last few months off various forums as I researched this topic.

I downloaded the new Ptool zip file, then downloaded the panasonic GH1__132 bin file from the panasonic link. Extracted them into the same folder. Then I downloaded the settings file online called "lpowell - Reliable In-Camera Playback Patch". I then put the 'setj' file into that folder too.

Then I opened ptool from the folder. I clicked the "j" highlighted at the bottom letters, then I made sure all 3 boxes at the top were selected.

I clicked the "version increment" and then typed in '10' where the default was '1'.

(I tried before without typing in 10 in the version increment and it did not work when I did that, so make sure you put 10 or maybe a higher number in there and save as GH1__135)

I then clicked "save firmware" and made the name of the file GH1__135. I saved the file to the same folder on my computer as the other 3 files.

I then formatted the sdhc card on the gh1, and then took 1 photo and 1 video. Then put the sdhc card back in the computer and uploaded the GH1__135 bin file into the root of the sdhc card (not in any folder). (if it doesn't work this way, just try again with total reformat without taking 1 photo and 1 video).

Then I put the sdhc card into the gh1, and turned it on again and pressed and held the play button for 5 seconds, a screen came up asking if I wanted to update, I said yes, and then it started and took a couple minutes.

I then took a movie in avchd and mjpeg. I shut off the camera and took out the card and put it back in the computer again. I then used a program called 'mediainfo' to view the settings that the videos were recorded at, and they were the high hacked settings!!!

Thanks to Vitaliy!!!

OVERVIEW ON SETTINGS FILES TO USE WITH 3.55d

To compare the different settings file choices at a glance download the following files off the internet by doing a search for them.

Blackout - Powell Native 24p Patch
    lpowell - Fast Action 3-Frame GOP Patch
    lpowell - Reliable In-Camera Playback Patch

Look for necessary topics in this category of our forums!

Then simply open each one at the same time in separate notepad windows and then right click the taskbar and choose "show windows side by side". You can then see all the differences between each of the settings files that others have made and if there may be anything you may want to change yourself to make a new settings file. It is a good way to see everything at once as an overview. To load any one of them just copy and paste all the files into the main folder you put the new ptool and the panasonic file. Then when you open up ptool you will see more of the letters at the bottom highlighted, just click on each one to initiate each one of the settings files one at a time. Then save different bin files for each setting you want to experiment with. You can only run one at a time, so if you want to change settings, you just go back into ptool, repeat the above process, and choose different settings each time you want to change anything, then save a new bin file, and do the upload to camera all over again from the beginning like you were starting from scratch.

Update, I tried changing a few settings and then reloaded a different bin with different settings, the camera just shut off within like 5 seconds. I think I was trying to see if I could get 24p mjeg 1920. I also was trying a non panasonic battery I think too, so am not sure which caused this problem. I just reinstalled the native 24p settings as is on a new bin file and loaded that and it works now.

I just did a 1 hour test record, on fhd 24p native and on the card it was split into 2 files but the camera didn't stop until the battery went dead around the hour mark. I was not moving the camera though, I have read that moving the camera around a lot may be a problem for some settings. I will try that next and post results.

• You should add you need a FULL BATTERY for this to work and not to use the DC adapter as Vitaliy said any power fluctuation could brick your camera.

I couldn't hack my new GH1 because my battery was only 2/3rds full and when I charged it, the hack worked.
  • Zcream, great explanation of colour space / avchd etc. Although I'm a GH2 owner, of course this applies to that camera too. Very clear - thanks!!

By the way, interested in 4:2:2 mjpeg as that would be better for chromakey work.
  • right on!!!
  • If oyu GH1 is made in 2011 it already runs on v1.34 :-)
    In version info it won't show 1.34 :-)

• My GH1 runs on v1.30 it shows serial number from jan 2011 - should i need to upgrade firmware to v1.34 and then next week apply future patch or do i simply need to apply patch as it is.

Thanks again vitaly you are truly a Weapon of Mass Destruction, us as a community should contribute more so you can hack whatever it gets in your way.

Cheers
  • @aljimenez

You can always make new topic.

As for reprted framerate - do not bother about it. Different utilities use different methods to get it. And it do not affect actual data anyway.
  • I was looking for a topic where one could discuss possible bugs and did not find it. Thus forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this. I just used the latest Native 24p Patch of Blackout-lpowell and the MTS files produced are reported as 47.952fps by an old version of Mediainfo. The latest version of Mediainfo reports the correct 23.976fps. Another video program I use, Corel's Video Studio, also reports double the framerate. I am wondering if the AVCHD encoder in the GH1 is inserting double the frame rate somewhere in the created MTS files which PTOOLS could correct?
  • Thanks, zcream!
    You can use HTML tags to format text if you wish.
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions