Personal View site logo
Ballhead / Videohead for single tripod and slider
  • I'm looking forward to support my motorized 75cm slider using one tripod only. Overall weight on slider is about 4kg. The problem is that I haven't found good solution to attach the slider to the tripod.

Do you guys have similar setups or have recommendations for sturdy ballheads or videoheads that could do the job? Manfrotto 701HDV videohead or Benro B2 ballhead weren't sturdy enough. Ideal solution would be a sturdy lockable tilt head, but I haven't been able to find any.

• 9 Replies sorted by
  • This is an issue certainly and i'm not sure a solution exists! Most of the 'solutions' i've found online didn't work for me and i've ended up going with a main Weifeng (Fancier) set of sturdy legs, Fluid head and 2x monopods.

• If your tripod is half bowl you better use special half bowl attachments for sliders.

You can find them on ebay, Varavon has one as I remember.

• The problem with half bowl attachments (at least with ones I have seen) is that they don't allow vertical slides. The ideal solution would have 90 degree angle tilt movement.

• Good luck ! I use two tripods or a B&D Workmate unless I have to make Vertical slides, Then I use a huge Bogen 303 ballhead.

• Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod.

You can attach the slider directly to the tripod and move it into the vertical by pulling the centre column all the way to the top and pushing it sideways. As long as your gear is light, you have the centre column fully retracted back towards the tripod, and a good ballhead for the camera on the slider you'll be laughing at how easy it is.

images.jpg
    580 x 385 - 28K
  • You can attach the slider directly to the tripod and move it into the vertical by pulling the centre column all the way to the top and pushing it sideways.

As far as I remember cheaper Chinese and other tripods exist with same feature.

• @Sph1nxster I use that tripod as a light carry around. I never thought of trying it with my slider but it makes perfect sense...Thanks!

• I tried several options and found out that no ballhead could really do the job. However the best solution so far has been old Manfrotto 141RC head. It's super strong and can take the weight with no problems. If you are working with one tripod only, I suggest that you buy one without center column since that adds a lot to vibration while working with motorized slider. For me, there is definetely no going back to working with two tripods. One is so much more convenient.

• Hi all, I'm looking for a tripod which prevents a slider from dipping as the camera goes from one end to another. Camera is a GH4, smaller ball head, and release plates -- so not too heavy. Currently with my tripod which uses a center column, I see the slider dipping. What will solve this problem? Replacing it with a tripod that uses a bowl? And I am looking for something inexpensive.