Personal View site logo
Some answers to our questions from Panasonic
  • Q1. GH4 camera is large success among filmmakers. Yet it still does not have ProRes or RAW recording that everybody asks. Rumors constantly surface that we will see this implemented in new firmware. Can we hope?

A1
    It is hard to add new recording formats by the firmware update.
    There are two reasons why this cannot be done with GH4. The capability of GH4 codec engine does not guarantee the process of those recording formats. The other reason is that there is no SD card which can record huge data in raw compression with high bit rate.
    However, we would like to study this request for a future model.

Q2. Many people who really like films made using GH4 just can’t allow this camera due to price of the body, especially outside US. Can we hope to see update to G6 camera with 4K and another updated features made for more mass market?

A2
    Unfortunately, specifications of G6 does not allow to incorporate 4K and other related functions.
    However, compact cameras such as FZ1000 and LX100 have 4K recording.

Q3. All cameras outside GH series have blocked HDMI output during recording. So people who want cheap second and third cameras frequently buy camera from another manufacturer. May be it is possible to change?

A3
    We have received the same requests from the other markets and would like to study this function.

Q4. Very small GM1 camera was being prized by many users. Do you think that Panasonic can make even lighter and smaller camera? May be one without screen and flash ‐ oriented to be operated wirelessly and used on quadracopters?

A4
    Thank you very much for your comments on a new product development.
    We are continuously seeking new opportunities for market needs, considering size and weight of a camera.

Q5. Do you think that in next year or two it will be still possible to reduce model line even more and continue move to premium segment considering big economic troubles around the world?

A5
    We will not focus on the premium segment only but will propose an optimum product line-up, considering the growth of a market and each segment, user preference, technology trend and other factors.

• 19 Replies sorted by
  • Bla bla bla bla. No answer made.just the same bullshit as always typical PR stuff.

• No answer made.just the same bullshit as always typical PR stuff.

Well, something like it.

But it is good progress as Nick could not get any response for months from them.

• What i really would like to know is if hey are planning to update the gh3 firmware to include focus peaking.

• What i really would like to know is if hey are planning to update the gh3 firmware to include focus peaking.

They already answered this multiple time - they won't and can't add this.

• I think he misunderstood q2. I'd like to know if there's a g7 in the works...w/4k and a higher bitrate mp4 1080 mode ? If they'd just add a headphone jack...it'd be perfect.

• I think he misunderstood q2.

Yep. But we have that we have. For now.

• you should have asked him, if they could sell a little bit more expensive gh4 variant for europe without this nasty 30min recording limitation or an add-on to unlock it.

the anser would be: usual european sd-cards are much to small for this and the compression hardware of the actual european product is to weak and not prepared fur such a burden. but the are thinking about unaccomplishable demands like this for future products and the next price increase...

:(

• the answer would be: usual european sd-cards are much to small for this and the compression hardware of the actual european product is to weak and not prepared fur such a burden. but the are thinking about unaccomplishable demands like this for future products and the next price increase...

LOL. You can send your resume to their marketing team.

• Q1/A1...

Hmm...

SD card - check

can record huge data in raw compression - check

high bit rates - check

Well, I guess the BMPCC must be a figment of my imagination then! Amazing!

• Well, I guess the BMPCC must be a figment of my imagination then! Amazing!

BMPCC is not sold to average Joe at BestBuy.

• why didn't you ask about 5 axis sensor stabilization? we need it Panasonic!

• why didn't you ask about 5 axis sensor stabilization

It is useless to ask about such things usually. :-) Firms never reveal very specific plans.

• Maybe Panasonic could surprise the world with a Full frame sensor GH5? with a Canon and Nikon compatible lens mount, so it can work with both brand lens systems?

A G6 like camera with 4k/UHD (30p,25p,24p) and 5 axis sensor shift in video would also be great.

I like Panasonic because they dare to implement the new things fast, not being satisfied with small marginal improvements.

• Maybe Panasonic could surprise the world with a Full frame sensor GH5? with a Canon and Nikon compatible lens mount, so it can work with both brand lens systems

If their intention is to commit suicide - they must :-)

I like Panasonic because they dare to implement the new things fast, not being satisfied with small marginal improvements.

You must love Samsung and Sony in this case :-)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev > BMPCC is not sold to average Joe and BestBuy

Neither is the GH4 or any camera below $500 - you won't even find the high-end GoPro's at retail shops. That's the odd thing to me - I feel like the "prosumer" is a person who doesn't exist. Someone who wants a balance between professional and consumer features - this person is shopping at Walmart and doesn't want to spend more than a few hundred bucks for something they can just do with their phone. There is no sense in catering to these people at all with a GH4 or similar camera. They should try to make the camera as inexpensive as possible, but don't cripple it or not put the extra effort to integrate better features, most will pay the premium for this.

I am wondering why there was no word about V-log from Panasonic? Ok, no raw or ProRes - that's understandable given the need to significantly increase bitrate. But a log format should be able to come via firmware. I think they're just teasing, maybe hoping people will keep buying the camera expecting an update, but I think major updates for this camera are done. They're working on the GH5 now.

• I think they're just teasing, maybe hoping people will keep buying the camera expecting an update, but I think major updates for this camera are done.

It was told here many times and it is really official info - all development team moves to new cameras after release. They can add minor things using small force, but only minor.

Neither is the GH4 or any camera below $500 - you won't even find the high-end GoPro's at retail shops.

I see all the GoPros and even plenty of Sony AX100, Nikon FF models, Canon 5D Mk III's at retail shops.

Thinking that people are stupid and constantly mentioning this motto about "it can be done on phone" is already old.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I don't think people are stupid I am only saying the kind of person I assume you are talking about when you say "Average Joe at Best Buy" really doesn't see the point in buying a dedicated photo/video camera. And I think for good reason compared to entry-level DSLRs and camcorders.

At a retail photo/video store, sure you will find some high-end gear, but - at least in the States - those shops are almost non-existent outside of cities and big box stores like Best Buy, Walmart, Target, etc only sell low-end stuff. GoPro 4 or 3+ is usually not carried, you will find Canon Rebel and consumer Nikon DSLRs, Sony a6000 and NEX, kit lenses, and very cheap camcorders.

• I assume you are talking about when you say "Average Joe at Best Buy" really doesn't see the point in buying a dedicated photo/video camera

I did not said anything like it. My reply was about BMPCC - very niche product.

Mass media and photo niche people made huge damage to average Joe constantly repeating him how cool his phone is and how it is enough (many of the people who did this were actually paid by smartphones manufacturers who sell products with high margins).

GoPro 4 or 3+ is usually not carried, you will find Canon Rebel and consumer Nikon DSLRs, Sony a6000 and NEX, kit lenses, and very cheap camcorders.

Things are different in different places. Mostly it is managers who decide that to have.

I see plenty of big Canon L lenses here at very simple retail chains.

• sorry for offtopic, but I would even consider soldering mic input on LX100 (even losing warranty) than buying blackfriday=500$ BMPCC, that how crap is BMPCC, even with 1stop DR advantage.