Personal View site logo
Panasonic LX100 camera topic
  • 566 Replies sorted by
  • @vempire
    I'd heard that there was no output on either port during output. Just looking to get that verified.

Seems kinda dumb feature on Panasonics part. They loose a growing segment of the market because they leave off a pretty simple feature that I'm sure wouldn't have cost much.

I was also set to buy one. I fly the gh4 on a larger Multirotor and would have bought the LX100 for my mid size bird. It's all about quality and weight. They missed the boat on this.

Unintended consequences may lead me to another brand, but what do they care.

• that's a bummer! ---No video out (hdmi and composite) during recording and standby

• How well does the autofocus perform in video mode? Would it be usable, at 24mm, aperture wide open, AF enabled, for a steadicam? Or does it hunt a lot? Also, is there somewhere a depth of field chart? Could somebody post some exaples of the wide angle DOF at various settings (aperture and focus distance)?

• @yaz72. No sharpening in post. You can reduce in-camera sharpening if you think there is too much artificial detail. I used all defaults except -1 NR. @hini you can control zoom and focus (touch focus!) and start and stop recording by wifi connection to your phone/tablet. And of course you see what the camera sees.

• What I like so far: great color and saturation, skin tones are very accurate and pleasing, auto white balance works great. Image stabilization does not jump/stick and release when panning and it also does not seem to jitter. Auto ISO is right on and in video gives perfect exposure. Manual focus with focus peaking works well, though I set it before hitting record and leave it fixed during the shot (if I can).

Things I do not like: Noise when zooming from the lens (other wise the audio is pretty good). Autofocus squints now and then. It's not a full on refocus, but enough so that it is distracting and I would not want to rely on it for a critical one take shots. I wish the screen was higher resolution and could tilt. I don't like how most of the time depth of field is deep. Unless you are tight on your subject and standing back to zoom in it is hard to get much for ground/background separation.

So, the high resolution, excellent color and exposure, good image stabilization, manual focus with peaking, and price make me very happy.

The deep depth of field, autofocus squinting, lack of HDMI out during video recording, and lack of a mic input make me want to try the Samsung, but the price is literally twice as much with 16-50 pancake lens and 3 times as much for the kit with 16-50 f2.0 and battery grip etc., so unless the NX1 is as good as the Canon Dual Pixel autofocus, I will make the LX100 work.

• What about the 15 minute limit when recording 4k - can you immediately start another 15 minute clip, or does it need to 'cool down'?

• Ive tested both the lx100 and the 12-35 with my gh4 this morning.

I think IQ is a tad better on the lx100, (better color rendition, sharpness is equal). Ois is also better on the lx, but worse when moving. Af is equal.

It's a shame the lx100 has better optic than the 12-35 on the Gh4, and faster ! (1.7 vs 2.8), less expensive, better macro mode etc

So, i think if Panasonic doesn't come with a good firmware update for the gh4 (video oriented), it will be a lot of unhappy buyers and may be a lot of 12-35 resale !

Some people can argue that you can't keep the lens of the lx100 for a next camera, but honestly, 4k is really recent so for the price, you will keep this very solid camera for a long time. So if you are not a pro, the choice is quickly made.

• @Madmanden: I just tried this: After 15min 4k/24p recording, I immediately pressed the record button again, and the camera continued to record for the next 15min. The LX100 was not noticable warm to the touch anywhere after the first or second 15minutes of recording (at an ambient temperature of 23°C). When the recording stopped after 15min, a message was displayed "Recording stopped due to limits exceeded". No sign of "overtemperature". So the limit is probably just another deliberate market-segregation fuck-up.

BTW: I just ordered 3rd-party batteries from here. Will update you on how well they work.

• Thanks @karl, I appreciate it!

• Is the LX100 weatherproof? Where is the best place to buy one in Europe?

• Where is the best place to buy one in Europe?

You can just find via any price comparison sites in EU :-)

as for PV, we'll have LX100 on deals on second half of November.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev, will the PV deal be shipped from inside the EU or from the outside? Will they be immediately in stock?

• will the PV deal be shipped from inside the EU or from the outside? Will they be immediately in stock?

It is same as other cameras deals, shipped from HK, of course it will be in stock.

• The LX100 goes to a museum:

• @WildLion: The LX100 is not waterproof (according to its specification, and I'll not try it) - it's weatherproof as long as it doesn't rain ;-)

(To me this wasn't relevant because I'll have to buy an underwater housing anyway...)

• Does anyone have any recommendations or know of any cage that could fit the LX100? It's quite small to handle and I feel like a small cage might make the handling better and also protect it. The BMPCC cages seem to all work with 1/4" threads for bottom and top, so I'm not sure they could work with the LX100. A GH or A7s cage might work, but I was looking for something a bit smaller perhaps...

• @BenjaminChan Why do you need the cage? Wouldn't it defeat the purpose of small size of LX100? Never understood the idea of "accessorizing" point and shoot cameras....