Personal View site logo
How Apple works with press
  • This time I was invited to come to Cupertino. Two days in California, all inclusive. Of course I was free to pay for my own ticket, I was told when I explicitly asked. But wouldn’t it look funny, if I were to travel all by myself back in Economy, while my colleagues were living it up in Business? There were times when Apple treated media representatives to Economy only – even for long-haul flights. That was changed a few years ago – allegedly because some journalists clamored for it.

Each journalist is handed a white bag containing an iTunes voucher, an iPhone jacket and a device in the reporters “favorite color”. These items are referred to as “permanent loans”. This year they even gave us two models for testing – the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6 Plus (sales value between 699.00 and 999.00 US$). We were kindly requested to send one of them back soon.

https://medium.com/@krautreporter/the-apple-media-distortion-field-644e9e7b8666

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • Good read VK, I had no idea it was this "bad".

I wonder if GoPro will follow a similar pattern ?

• @Rambo

I can tell it is very similar for leading manufacturers of high marginal items. May be GoPro, do not know. Most reviews of tablets and smartphones of leading brands are highly fucked up due to this.

• I always wondered why certain online reviewers acted so skewed toward Apple in the Samsung match-ups. Fanboyism didn't seem to make much sense to me because qualified review geeks should appreciate performance and value and be able to separate it from flashy marketing hype regardless of mfr. Never would've suspected Apple to be this bold, but I guess it makes sense in hindsight.

• I dont care for Apple's products, but will say they know how to throw a great party.

• I dont care for Apple's products, but will say they know how to throw a great party.

You'll be even more shocked if you check local parties made by major manufacturers on presentations in every country. Most journalists just do not come is party and food is third grade.