Personal View site logo
Tim Cook - I’m proud to be gay
  • For years, I’ve been open with many people about my sexual orientation. Plenty of colleagues at Apple know I’m gay, and it doesn’t seem to make a difference in the way they treat me. Of course, I’ve had the good fortune to work at a company that loves creativity and innovation and knows it can only flourish when you embrace people’s differences. Not everyone is so lucky.

Huh....

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-10-30/tim-cook-im-proud-to-be-gay

Disclaimer

Thing you will read below (all posts) are made to make your gray cells think. If you want to keep them in a sleep and just believe in everything media tells you, leave now, it will save your time.

P.S. Most arguments are made to be arguments. Not to hurt gays (do not know why I write this even, but some people have trouble with anything gay related).

• 69 Replies sorted by
  • Hey Tim, as if anyone really cares about this?

• @johnnymossville Agreed, who gives a shit? Im proud to be straight, big deal.

• "Agreed, who gives a shit? Im proud to be straight, big deal."

That is correct - it's not any kind of deal at all. It shouldn't matter in the least. Unfortunately, that's still not true today, certainly not everywhere in the world, and not even in the U.S. - "who gives a shit"... plenty of people apparently do, which is why there is such a political and social fight over it, laws are passed in some countries to discriminate, in others to prevent discrimination and so on. If nobody cared, people wouldn't feel compelled to "come out"... but because so many people care what others do in their bedrooms, unfortunately, it's an issue. You may not care, and I may not care, but millions/billions do.

One day - hopefully soon - nobody will feel a need to announce such things. But that day is not here as yet - hence this announcement.

• Who is Tim Cook? And what doe the fruit company do?

Never bought a single Apple product in my life. Macs are over-priced but generally good products. iProducts are over-priced and generally idiotic function-wise with user interfaces that kids love

• really guys? @johnnymossville plenty of people care. if you don't then just leave the thread alone. @joethepro Same for you, but to equate it to being straight and proud, I can't find the words.. I'd love your comment to be appropriate, but what world have you been living in that makes you think it is? @paulhouston what the hell relevance does your post have?

@rottencarcass thanks for having a more reasoned response than me.

• Never bought a single Apple product in my life. Macs are over-priced but generally good products. iProducts are over-priced and generally idiotic function-wise with user interfaces that kids love

I think PV is above such level :-). And it is not flame topic.

• @jules I dont care if anyone is gay, Im just so tired of homosexuals being made out to be heroes for being who they are. Of course this does not apply to all of them, but many act like they have done something worthy of attention and acclaim. Its just not a big deal. I dont get why people care enough to make articles like this valid. Probably because America does things like have huge parades where gay people can celebrate their diversity as if it is something worth anyone's attention.

• I dont care if anyone is gay, Im just so tired of homosexuals being made out to be heroes for being who they are. Of course this does not apply to all of them, but many act like they have done something worthy of attention and acclaim.

Well, you just posted my old position on this and why I made this post.

• @joethepro, I understand that you are tired of "homosexuals being made out to be heroes for being who they are". But like with the laws of physics or sociology, it is good to try to understand why things happen. You are tired - but the homosexuals are even more tired of being discriminated against (even in the U.S. there are tons of laws that discriminate against them in all sorts of ways). The reason they say "I'm proud to be gay", is because they were told for so long "it's wrong/disgusting SHAMEFUL to be gay", so they say that to affirm to themselves and others "I am not ashamed to be gay, I am PROUD", it is exactly the same as black people who were told they were subhuman "I am PROUD to be black", or Jewish people who were told they are subhuman and scum "I am PROUD to be Jewish". Yes, these are all things that are just facts that nobody can help - you are black, or Jewish or gay - but do you now see why they NEED to day it?

Of course, if you are straight, and nobody said "to be straight is wrong/disgusting SHAMEFUL" you are surprised that anyone would say "I am PROUD to be straight". So, of course, you take YOUR experience and say "huge parades where gay people can celebrate their diversity as if it is something worth anyone's attention", because it would be strange to have "huge parades where STRAIGHT people can celebrate their diversity as if it is something worth anyone's attention" - YOU ARE RIGHT, it would be strange. But for gay people who had a different experience is NOT strange. Now you understand? You must look at the world with understanding "why does THIS happen?", and just going by your own experience doesn't always give you all the information. If you lived as a gay person, suddenly you would understand.

That said, yes, when the day arrives when gay people are as NOT discriminated against just for being gay as straight people are NOT discriminated against just for being straight, then you will be 100% right: no more need for parades, no more need to announce "I am PROUD and not ashamed to be gay", no more need for it because as you put it so well "it is not something worthy of attention and acclaim".

But in a world where people are discriminated against, beaten and even killed for being gay, it takes GUTS to say "I am gay". And for showing such guts, it is worthy of acclaim. Just as a person in a deeply anti-Semitic environment, to stand up and say "I am PROUD to be Jewish", takes guts, and that person is a hero.

Thank you for thinking and understanding, and not just jumping to conclusions. The world is a complicated place, and we always benefit by studying what we don't understand, instead of just dismissing it. Have a nice day!

• @Jules Why should anyone care that Tim is Gay? Please, tell me. Does he deserve a medal? :)

• That said, yes, when the day arrives when gay people are as NOT discriminated against just for being gay as straight people are NOT discriminated against just for being straight, then you will be 100% right

Well. Some talks about discrimination went over any logic and boundaries.

Being gay also not only means few strange things we won't be talking about (btw, observation shows that gay percentage is connected only to one thing - media propaganda of being gay). It also means that people fully and knowingly do not want to have offspring. Well, and this thing MUST produce discrimination. For example, because it will be your son and/or daughter who will work for this old gays.

Just as a person in a deeply anti-Semitic environment, to stand up and say "I am PROUD to be Jewish", takes guts, and that person is a hero.

If you spent some time researching history you'll find strange thing. Most people had quite logical reason to hate jews due to things they did.

• "I think PV is above such level :-). And it is not flame topic." - a reasonable response

• @johnnymossville homosexuality is discriminated against. a way to overcome such discrimination is for people of 'standing' (fame etc) in society to put their hands up and say 'hey i'm gay too, there's nothing to be ashamed of, the world isn't going to end' etc etc. Same way it's good for sports people to do the same.

and that's it. he doesn't have to do a roadshow on it or anything... he doesn't deserve a medal. but this is important as the world tries to do away with homosexuality. if he gives one person the courage to come out and stop living a lie then this is worth the coverage. by god, we live in a world where people take their lives for being gay and too ashamed to come out or too beaten down by the bullying.

If you are so comfortable with it that you don't care, then that's great! but in reality that's not the case for a vast section of the world's population. so key figures coming out is something that's newsworthy.

• @johnnymossville - that's a little bit strange to ask that question "why should anyone care that Tim is gay"; strange, because he explains it very clearly, and so the answer to your question is right there, all you have to do is put the letters together and read them out... and there is your answer, like magic!

Who should care? As Tim explained. The people who care, or should care are all those lonely gay young people, perhaps in circumstances which are deeply homophobic and dangerous, everyone around them, religion and state and society telling him "gay people are horrible and it's a sin". That young gay person - so many commit suicide because of the terrible pressure - looks around and thinks "to be gay is horrible and I can never accomplish anything - there are no gay presidents, and no gay senators, and no gay generals and no gay CEOs of respected companies". AHA! YES THERE ARE, AND TIM IS ONE, and one day YOU CAN BE TOO!

It is the same reason black people, or Jewish people, or any people historically discriminated against need role models to show that SOMEONE of their background CAN reach the top. It makes it possible to dream. It makes you feel less isolated.

You may not need to care that Tim is gay. But plenty of people do. And it is to them that Tim said this. Your second question is also strange "does he deserve a medal", because Tim also explained that too - all you had to do is read, put together the letters and read them out... and there is your answer, like magic!

Does he deserve a medal? I don't know if he deserves a medal - or if you deserve a medal - but he explained that announcing that he was gay was not something that was easy for him. It can still be a very negative thing for you to announce you are gay, even as a CEO. There was an article in NYTimes just recently where they observed that it is almost unheard of for a CEO to admit to being gay - that at work, most gay people even today hide their identity. So you see, it takes some guts to go against that. He didn't do it because he wanted - as he said himself, he wanted to keep his own right to privacy, but he GAVE UP THAT RIGHT to help those young gay people he spoke about who desperately need a role model. He sacrificed something. He certainly faced criticism from small-minded people who say mean things like "does he deserve a medal", who needs that? But he took it, knowing that millions of such nasty people are out there, and he did it for others, the lonely, the weaker, the discriminated against.

• homosexuality is discriminated against. a way to overcome such discrimination is for people of 'standing' (fame etc) in society to put their hands up and say 'hey i'm gay too, there's nothing to be ashamed of, the world isn't going to end' etc etc. Same way it's good for sports people to do the same.

Let's me change it a little to put into extreme

pedophilia is discriminated against. a way to overcome such discrimination is for people of 'standing' (fame etc) in society to put their hands up and say 'hey i'm pedophile too, there's nothing to be ashamed of, the world isn't going to end' etc etc. Same way it's good for sports people to do the same.

Btw, in some countries it already went this way.

• Who should care? As Tim explained. The people who care, or should care are all those lonely gay young people, perhaps in circumstances which are deeply homophobic and dangerous, everyone around them, religion and state and society telling him "gay people are horrible and it's a sin". That young gay person - so many commit suicide because of the terrible pressure - looks around and thinks "to be gay is horrible and I can never accomplish anything - there are no gay presidents, and no gay senators, and no gay generals and no gay CEOs of respected companies".

It never happened to you that it could be other way around. Some poor, not attractive and lonely guy who have trouble finding girl see constant coming outs and TV and starts to think that he is actually gay (why he is clearly not)?

May be many young "gay" people could just find their girl if not this stream?

• Yes to RottenCarcass and Jules. The forum is 'above' platform bashing but apparently not above equating being gay with being a pedophile, or the idea that people "turn" gay due to media influence because they can't "find their girl".... the mind boggles. Maybe you've never watched someone's life destroyed because of the abuse they suffered growing up gay, or even worse not being able to admit to themselves that they were out of shame - often ending in the suicide or just complete inability to function for people who have a great deal to offer the world. Or maybe you just don't have enough gay friends to have an understanding of what being gay both is and is not. By the way, Mr. Cook did not ask for a medal or recognition or anything at all. It was quite clearly a painful decision made out of a sense that whatever trouble it would cause for him was outweighed by the mere chance that it might do someone some good some day. Gee, what a terrible thing to do.

• Earth is flat - Earth is round. Sun goes around Earth - Earth goes around the sun. We must pray for rain - rain is a meteorological phenomenon and is not affected by prayer.

The first is a certain worldview that was popular once upon a time... nothing wrong with it, people made speculation, because they didn't have enough information. The second view is the result of deep understanding of the world around us.

You can convince the person with the first view, that the second view is correct, but you cannot do it on a website and short posts. So you must bow down respectfully, and then keep quiet. The person with the first view, will go on believing what they believe.

Gay people are gay by choice - first view. Gay people are created by propaganda and believing propaganda - first view Gay people are sexual perverts - first view Gay people destroy society and retirement funds - first view Jewish people are evil and so it's understandable to discriminate against them - first view.

The first view is understandable, but you cannot argue against it on a website. You must bow and keep quiet, because just like you cannot convince someone in a few short posts that praying for rain is hopeless, because you cannot give them a physics education in posts on a website, so you cannot explain sociology, history, anthropology, biology and economics in a few posts on a website.

And so I can't argue. Besides, I am not even gay - I am however, interested in understanding the world around me, and so I put some time in studying it. You can learn a lot by studying. Of course, that's hard, so it's easier not to.

Thank you everyone for a great discussion, have a nice day!

• Gay people are gay by choice - first view. Gay people are created by propaganda and believing propaganda - first view Gay people are sexual perverts - first view Gay people destroy society and retirement funds - first view Jewish people are evil and so it's understandable to discriminate against them - first view.

Well, pedophiles are pedophiles by choice. Yet you get life sentence in most countries for this, sometimes even if police will find one picture or video on your note. Why not fight for equal rights here? May be your 10 year daughter also need full right to choose if she want to fuck this this old daddy? No? Why gay can make this choice in same age after watching main news with such coming outs? What is the actual difference?

If you do not have any offsprings it must be penalized - it is actually working people in economy who make your life as old guy possible, not some financial funds.

If you did not good things that society was against and become rich and powerful while making huge number of people poor and in debt, and, after some time, society made bad things with you - do not cry that you have some specific nation, look at your actions.

The first view is understandable, but you cannot argue against it on a website. You must bow and keep quiet, because just like you cannot convince someone in a few short posts that praying for rain is hopeless, because you cannot give them a physics education in posts on a website, so you cannot explain sociology, history, anthropology, biology and economics in a few posts on a website.

I am confused. As it is because science and proper education most people stopped praying for rain (some still do) :-)

I do not think I can explain all in few posts, but I can ignite interest so they could find more detailed posts and books.

• The forum is 'above' platform bashing but apparently not above equating being gay with being a pedophile, or the idea that people "turn" gay due to media influence because they can't "find their girl".... the mind boggles

In math it is usual method. I just pushed to the extreme. To make you think and find the difference (and it is not much difference here).

As for girls and becoming gay. Problem here is that science does not support usual gay theory that it is some kind of nature "gift". For most actual gays it is not gift, it is purely their choice. For some it is media flushing their small poor minds, for others it is logical choice as it allow to get big advantage (yes, being minority also provides big advantage sometimes).

In the start of 20th century some people seriously fought (and still are) for right to go naked openly every day. Quite natural thing. Yet if you try to do it today you will be pressed much more than being open gay, much more. I do not see media cry for this. Why?

• http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/30/7133103/thank-you-tim-cook

Well, mass media :-)

I wan to see another coming outs. Like "Tim Uncook - I am proud to be engineer" and story how he made things and invented things since being child and how he become founder for his own company, how he worked 15 hours a day for years and finally made big company that made smartphone and computer of such quality that Apple decided to move to condoms market.

Instead we have coming out where leading manager famous for pushing contractors to reduce their workers salaries as much as possible tells us that he likes to push his dick in the different hole belonging to a guy. Well, shit.

• As soon as being an engineer subjects you to ostracization from many (and often popular) society, your argument will be valid. Until then, good luck!

• Oh boy am I sick of all this "proud" BS. Proud to be gay, proud to be black, a Jew, a German, American ore even a woman?

How can anybody be "proud" for something he was accidentally born into? Some country, some gender, some race, skin color or sexual preference?

Oh pleazzze - it's nothing you have accomplished stupid, it just happened .

If those people wouldn't be so selfimportant, and wouldn't make such a fuzz about it (which is the sheer opposite of the "normal" they always ask for), we would have reached gender-, race-, andwhatnot-blindness since years. But since they make them self so special (and often even better) than the rest - the rest is just pissed off.

@RottenCarcass

"to be gay is horrible and I can never accomplish anything - there are no gay presidents, and no gay senators, and no gay generals and no gay CEOs of respected companies". AHA! YES THERE ARE, AND TIM IS ONE, and one day YOU CAN BE TOO!"

Well there is always a carrier in the catholic church - up to the highest ranks ;-) And when it comes to gay presidents, gay senators and gay generals - do your research and you may be very surprised.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions