Personal View site logo
4K and UltraHD Stuff, Cinemas, Camcorders, TVs
  • 246 Replies sorted by
  • Japan's Ultra HD TV channel, Channel4K, started pilot broadcast on June 2, 2014 and Digitimes Research has found that sales of Ultra HD TV sets continue to enjoy stable growth despite a recent rise in the country's consumption tax. In May 2014, 2.4% of TVs sold in the Japan market were Ultra HD models, which also made up 12.3% of overall sales value, the first time that the percentage has surpassed 10%.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20140711PD210.html

Some low end Intel processors (even desktop Baytail) are up to the task of playing back high bitrate 4K videos.

• Samsung Demo, H.264, 1080p, 35Mbs
    • Ducks Take Off, H.264, 1080p, 108Mbs
    • Ducks Take Off, H.264, 2160p, 243Mbs
    • Porsche Demo, H.264, 1080p, 60 FPS, 45Mbs
    • Timelapse Demo, H.264, 2160p, 60Mbs

User software:

• LAV Filters (DXVA2 native/Intel QuickSync)
    • MPC-BE Filters (Media Player Classic — Black Edition)
    • Windows Media Player 12

http://www.ixbt.com/mainboard/7-platforms-shootout.shtml

gh4_65.jpg
    599 x 697 - 81K
  • Today I looked at the top of the line 55" 1080p TV and the 55" 4K TV from Samsung. I was amazed at the difference, and they were both the same price--$1750. Look for 1080p prices to drop I guess. That's a very good picture on the 4K and the 8000 was one of the top rated TVs.

Of course, it depends on the input signal, but still very impressive from Samsung. The Sony's were also very good, but very expensive.

• Zenbook UX303LN comes with NVIDIA GeForce GT 840M and 13,3" IPS screen with 3200×1800 resolution.

• Samsung Electronics announced its plans to further expand its UHD ecosystem by working with global content partners to help accelerate consumer adoption and access to UHD content.

The company plans to launch Amazon’s UHD VOD service in October globally, and has also expanded Netflix’s UHD VOD Service in Europe, which has been available in the U.S. and other countries since last March. Netflix kicked off its UHD streaming service with “House of Cards Season 2,” a popular US TV series, which is now available on Samsung’s UHD TV.

Samsung also reinforced its cooperation with major European content partners, including maxdome, Wuaki.tv, and CHILI to secure more UHD content to work towards a more robust UHD ecosystem.

http://global.samsungtomorrow.com/?p=40034

• A spokesperson for the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) has used IFA 2014 as the stage on which to announce that 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs and compatible hardware are destined to become a reality by Christmas 2015.

Good news.

• Ultra HD TVs are likely to hit or even exceed a 30% penetration rate in overall LCD TV sales during the October 1 holiday period in China, according to market estimates

China is far ahead.

• What’s hype, what’s real, and what’s just not known yet? Join Mark Schubin in this recorded webinar as he looks at 4K (UHD), high frame rate, high dynamic range, and wide color gamut to see which really gives viewers the best picture, and what it will cost you in resources to provide.

• Let me point out that I’m not saying a native 4K shot doesn’t look good. It does, but often the associated workflow hassles aren’t worth it. For example, let’s take a typical 1080p 50” Panasonic plasma that’s often used as a client monitor in edit suites. You or your client may be sitting 7 to 10 feet away from it, which is closer than most people sit in a living room with that size of a screen. If I show a client the native image (4K at 1:1 in an HD timeline) compared with an separate HD image at the same framing, it’s unlikely that they’ll see a difference. Another test is to take two exact images – one native HD and the other 4K. Scale up the HD and crop down the 4K to match. In theory, the 4K should look better and sharper. In fact, sitting back on the client sofa, most won’t see a difference. It’s only when they step to about 5 feet in front of the monitor that a difference is obvious and then only when looking at fine detail within the shot.

http://www.revuptransmedia.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=591:more-4k-by-oliver-peters&catid=47:blog-guest-

• Picked up a Panasonic AX800 4K UHDTV last week. After some reviews I was a bit concerned about the off-axis viewing, but I was already using a swing wall mount for an alternate viewing position, so it's not a real issue in my viewing environment.

The UHD capabilities of the AX800 match very nicely with the GH4 - as you would expect. The GH4 movie image quality is exceptional - lots of configuration options. It's nice to be able to simply pull the SD card from the GH4 and pop it into the slot on the TV to watch the movies (ARC works great!). I wish the AX800 would play the Photo 4K material. Random 4K content on YouTube that I sampled also looked great.

The AX800 comes with an onboard camera that is integrated with some personalization/interface software ("Life+Screen"). The screen has enough size and resolution to allow for multiple "Life+Screen" items at the same time. I'm not terribly interested in the interface stuff and didn't have much time to mess with it, yet. I'll probably set aside a couple of hours this weekend to play around with it.

• Hi @v10tdi I'm looking to buy a 4k tv as well, to show my jobs, that in the future will be 4k, FHD for now. So for which reason did you choose the ax800 panasonic? I went through several reviews and specs. I don't want to spend too much and I also looked at the less expensive AX 630 series, but it doesn't have the on board Hevc decoder, only hdmi 2.0 ports. Is the Hevc decoder so important? Will it be matter of a firmware update or it's a purely a hardware caractheristic? Excluding the ax630 I'm deciding between the ax800 or the sony X8500 series. What's that "off-axis" problem? Need some advices.

• @davjd LG OLED 4k 65EC9700 IMHO the best tv ever

• @davjd "off-axis" means viewing the tv screen from a position that is not directly in front of the screen.

• @v10tdi Of course. I meant to ask what is the issue of watching from a angled position, or how big is the problem, among other questions. Update: ordered the 50AX800 Panasonic. I read that saturation and contrast change if the viewing angle is more than 30°, while the specs report a generic viewing angle of 176°. Hoping the "change" above 30° is not so drastic or evident. We'll see.

• LCD TV sales in China reached 6.02 million from the Mid-Autumn through October 1 period to represent an on-year increase of 2.4%, according to AVC. In the one week October 1 holiday period, LCD TV sales were down 15.6% on year.

During the period the penetration rate of Ultra HD TVs reached 27.3%, up 23% on year and sales of 50-inch and above sizes held a 35.7% proportion, up 7% on year. Smart TV sales held a 64.4% penetration.

• OLED TV pricing is expected to remain double that of Ultra HD TVs through 2016, which will influence the 120% on-year expected growth in Ultra HD TV shipments in 2015, according to Digitimes Research.

More than half of the Ultra HD TVs shipped throughout 2016 are expected to go to the China market where low-priced units will drive most of the demand.

Ultra HD TV panel shipments meanwhile are expected to reach 17.83 million units in 2014, up 475% on year,

• LG Display reached 674,000 in shipments for Ultra HD TV panels in September 2014. The amount represents a 24.8% on-month increase as LG aims to further its presence in the Ultra HD TV panel market through various low-priced solutions.

Small diagonal LG 4K TVs are already pretty affordable.

• DirecTV will launch 4K Ultra HD video on demand for the first time Friday, making it the first multichannel TV provider to do so. The satellite TV company said it will begin offering a variety of new releases, popular films and nature documentaries in 4K resolution.

http://www.twice.com/news/home-satellite/directv-launch-4k-service-friday/54922

• Amazon just announced the availability of 4K Ultra HD streaming on its Amazon Instant Video service in the United States, starting with a limited selection of content. The company joins Netflix as the only other major streaming service to offer 4K streaming.

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=10195182011&ref=dvm_us_cw_pm_ultrahd

• Starting today, Vimeo PRO members and Vimeo On Demand sellers can allow people to download 4K video files. That’s right, video viewers: super-crisp vids can, in fact, be yours.

Creators have been able to upload in 4K for some time, but now these files can be downloaded and played on those fancy, 4K-compatible displays some of us are lucky enough to own.

And while we don’t yet offer 4K streaming on our site, we’ll be ready by the time broadband providers start widely supporting the high speeds required.

http://vimeo.com/blog/post:664

• I have been watching 4K content from the internet my Panny AX800 for awhile. It's quite nice, but I had to upgrade my service with my ISP in order to have more bandwidth. :-| Even so, some 4K content can still be choppy or slow - probably some latency/bandwidth issues that are outside of my ISP. I'll have to check out 4K content from Amazon.

Update: Panny AX800 is not (yet?) approved device for streaming Amazon UHD content.

• I watching 4K content on my Philips 50pus6809 TV directly from YouTube. Find any clip on iPhone paired with TV and tap "view on Philips TV", it runs very smooth, just few seconds of waiting at beginning.

• This discovery led THX to launch a program focused on identifying the current and future capabilities of HDMI cables and their potential effects on 4K entertainment experiences. “Our finding is that a significant portion of HDMI cables available today, specifically in lengths of five meters and greater, can demonstrate faults when passing high bandwidth content such as 4K 60fps.

THX certified HDMI cable. My god.