Personal View site logo
Dynamic Range / Latitude
  • 61 Replies sorted by
  • @PerryWilson can explain how is possible for cinestyle to increase the DR by 3 stops?

• Are the new film modes hacks on gh1/gh2 in the works result in something to having like cinestyle look on 7d or 5d?
  • @proaudio4 I too am a 7D, 5D, RED shooter, as a matter of fact my sundance film this year was shot all on 7D's... the cinestyle is at least 3 stops better than the GH2 even hacked and in nostalgic -2,-2,0,-2

@brian202020 yeah you are correct then... the 7D blows in standard picture style
  • I have not used cinestyle yet, I got rid of my 7D before it came out. I was more referring to the stock camera.
  • I'd let driftwood answer this since he owns a 5DMKII and 7D
  • the latitude of the GH2 even with driftwoods newest GOP1 doesnt get anywhere near a canon in cinestyle
  • not in cinestyle picture profile... as a colorist the cinestyle profile is god in the DSLR world... as close to an s-log as it gets infcat it IS a LogC profile
  • If I'm not mistaken the 7D has even less latitude than the unhacked GH2.
  • I would die for a S-Log... the only thing I miss about my 7D is the latitude for post coloring
  • I know Chris is looking into film modes. Maybe in his research he'll find a way to load custom color profiles. A flat s-log like profile could extend the latitude a little.
  • Only indirectly: you can pull up the dark areas more with the higher bitrates without getting annoying macro-block noise. But i'd say you won't gain more than one stop, maybe. After all, it's still 8 depth bits you record.