Personal View site logo
iMac with Retina Display
  • 32 Replies sorted by
  • engadget says about ifixit on the mini-

http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/21/ifixit-mac-mini-teardown/

my computer repairman ( & friend) told me on sunday that he's not working on new apple's...period. Apple's turning into a throwaway in every place but america. An expensive one.

• @kurth

Nothing too Apple specific. Almost all latest tablets and thin notes are throwaway things.

Service centers degradation is easy to see in every country.

• ..that's why I buy $80 chinese tablets ! ...but a 3 grand one ( with a few upgrades ) is alot harder to swallow.

• ..that's why I buy $80 chinese tablets !

Well, I like your self punishment :-) But I prefer better things.

• Apple has a very specific clientele... people who can afford to buy and not worry about it! If that doesn't fit someone's circumstances they have other options. I see nothing wrong with this approach. Many businesses have the same model. They aren't the McDonald's of electronic devices. They love their margins and those who buy love their products. Nothing else matters. I'm typing this on a previous iMac. :)

As for the new iMac it seems like a very nice upgrade. Love the screen and it should be enough power for most of my very modest needs. I'm pretty sure it would be a good tool for a few years, at least for my needs. It's an investment but a very nice combination of function and simplicity.

• As for the new iMac it seems like a very nice upgrade. Love the screen and it should be enough power for most of my very modest needs. I'm pretty sure it would be a good tool for a few years, at least for my needs. It's an investment but a very nice combination of function and simplicity.

Make sure to write here how you will like it after some time with it :-)

I have nothing against Apple, have few of their things.

• Having a 5k monitor at this spec and price is going to make this sell very well in film edit / post / design studios. This feels like the first bit of real innovation from apple for a while.

• Having a 5k monitor at this spec and price is going to make this sell very well in film edit / post / design studios. This feels like the first bit of real innovation from apple for a while.

Sad to upset you, but it is not Apple innovation. It is new variations of panels of famous 27" panels (made by Samsung and LG mostly).

I can assure you that within one year we will see cheap Korean monitors using it. Really cheap.

• Vitaliy, would you or anyone else knowledgable here consider this iMac (judging by the spec), paired with Thunderbolt drives, a reasonable editing solution to work with a 4k raw BMPC workflow?

• make sure to write here how you will like it after some time with it :-)

I have nothing against Apple, have few of their things.

me too....including the original blue&white running fcp 1 ...a worn-out g4 & g5 pm's, imacs and mac mini's ...a titanium pwb that prematurely choked ! ....however, to be frank , Apple's reliability is no better , maybe worse than budget windows machines at half the price. Personally I've been happy with my budget windows machines since I've doubled up . Applecare is either a ripoff, or a savior, depending on your luck. And the whole concept of integrated monitors is bad. I like the advance marketing approach however. Maybe we'll see 4k monitors drop in price. 4k can already be bought for 5 bills ! However....my eyesight isn't that good anyway ! If it had 8 core intels , that might be different !

• @ Vitaly.. not upset at all! I meant that its a first to see a monitor this good (with a very powerful mac inside) and its going to be a big hit with the post production, design studio and small edit facilities I work in.

• @ADCfilms ....a good place to ask is in the resolve 11 thread.

• FYI - the new retina iMac IS NOT 4K, it's 5K as stated in the original post. I keep hearing people compare it to 4k monitors for some reason. A 5K monitor has 1.78 times the pixel count of a 4k monitor.

It's so weird to read comments by apple haters on this forum. Anybody that can't admit that a 27 inch 5k ips iMac for $2500 is an outstanding deal is brainwashed. It's like arguing with somebody in a religious cult.

• I wonder if this machine will be able to handle 4K video editing . So far I don't see any positive feedback on that.

• It's so weird to read comments by apple haters on this forum. Anybody that can't admit that a 27 inch 5k ips iMac for $2500 is an outstanding deal is brainwashed. It's like arguing with somebody in a religious cult.

@DanPV- actually I think that "cult" metaphor works better in the opposite direction, or at least that's how it's been playing with all the cultural pundits. Having 6 macs myself , and now 3 windows, I guess that makes me "deprogrammed" !

And 4k to 5k....is less than 1/2 the increase from hd to uhd. And on a 27" panel, you'd have to be using a magnifying lens to see the difference, if at all.

And about the great deal therein , if you assume that you can't see the difference between 4k and 5k, which is what I was assuming...than you can have a much better computer for 2 grand. But I'm sure the Apple Cult folks will wait in line ( actually spending the night on the sidewalk ! ) just to have one.

And out of curiosity, I just went to apple and saw that to even get close to the 2 grand windows machine, you'd have to upgrade the imac with another grand....i7, 4gb graphic, 512ssd , and you still don;t even have a dvd burner much less a bluray.

@abolit.....yeah...with another grand in upgrades

• FYI - the new retina iMac IS NOT 4K, it's 5K as stated in the original post. I keep hearing people compare it to 4k monitors for some reason. A 5K monitor has 1.78 times the pixel count of a 4k monitor

Well, here we only talked about 5K panels :-) They are coming to cheap monitors.

Yes, for now only very expensive ones are announced (for pro use), but it does not mean that panels cost are huge. It means that companies want to get premium at the start while panels supply is restricted.

• I find the iMac very interesting. 1 month ago I was thinking buying a new PC (about 3000$) because the iMac didn't gave enough for the price. I want to now work on Apple workstation, because a lot of my customers works on Apple machines and I like the professional feeling it offer for everyday work. The screen is impressive, to work and to present works.

BUT, I don't know if the machine will be powerful enough for my future projects, 4k, motion graphics, and whether the lack of techno Nvidia does not penalize work on some soft (Premiere, 3ds Max).

• My guess is that for reasonable levels of editing 4k it should work fine. If you're a power user with lots of stuff running all at once it may not be enough. Check the forums of the NLE and software you use. Someone is likely already using the previous iMac and could give you a reference to go by.

• I was a little in doubt about about the GPU performance after serving the huge amount of pixels. It seems there is no reason for having doubts:

http://www.barefeats.com/imac5k.html

• Can't wait to see how it compares in premiere pro/fcpx in 4k editing against the mac pros...

Getting impatient to get one of these !

• But it's not just the resolution that makes this a best-in-class display -- the image quality is also top-notch. For starters, Apple used Oxide TFT (thin-film transistor) technology to keep the brightness even throughout the 27-inch panel. Apple also added a so-called compensation film for viewing angles. Indeed, colors stay pungent even from severe off-angles -- unrealistically wide angles, I mean. The truth is, though, that the last two years of iMacs had wide viewing angles as well, with relatively little glare, so whatever Apple did here, it feels more like it fine-tuned an already-excellent display.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/22/imac-with-retina-display-review/

• One of the major questions regarding Apple’s 5K display is whether or not it would be a 30Hz or 60Hz panel. We’ve had an opportunity to see some demonstrations of gaming on the 27-inch iMac with 5K Retina display and can confirm that it’s a 30Hz panel when operating in 5K mode. Below 5K, the panel shifts to 60Hz, though we couldn’t confirm exactly when the 60/30 shift occurs.

The GPU powering the 27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display is the R9 M290X, with the R9 M295X offered as an optional upgrade. The R9 M295X hasn’t technically been announced, but rumors from months back suggested this would be a Tonga-class GPU. Regardless, the R9 M290X is the minimum spec — and that chip is a rebranded HD 8970M, which was a rebranded HD 7970M, which is functionally equivalent to a desktop Radeon HD 7870. GPUs inside the new iMac are going to be limited to DisplayPort 1.2.

Well. Shit.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/192305-analyzing-the-imac-5k-retina-display-how-do-you-squeeze-5k-out-of-a-last-gen-gpu