Personal View site logo
Idiots and smartphones
  • 7 Replies sorted by
  • It must be annoying as all hell to the restaurant waitstaff who have spanned the popularization of the modern smartphone. Also, I don't want to come across as misogynist but I would love to know the breakdown of phone behavior by gender. This just doesn't sound like the behavior of men, usually the food drops and the shoveling begins. It's literally a race to the finish to see how quickly the food can be made to disappear. With women there's a much more obvious phone-centric lifestyle going on (with exceptions that cut both ways of course). In their case it's actually brilliant because it results in better digestion and less discomfort.

• With women there's a much more obvious phone-centric lifestyle going on (with exceptions that cut both ways of course).

Btw, smartphone can optimize your meeting time. If you see her massaging smartphone too much - just go.

• I think you've just identified the event horizon in modern dating. Once the phone massaging increases on one side, the other side picks up the phone to massage with equal or greater ferocity. To an outside observer it looks like this -

It's perhaps easier to predict the long-term outcome rather than the short-term.

• It's perhaps easier to predict the long-term outcome rather than the short-term.

I also found that smart woman mostly do not know how to use phone for anything besides calls, SMS and checking weather. They just have so many interesting things to do in life so they do not have time to find out this smartphone things.

• Well, I don't think they are serious what they write.. The numbers seemed too exaggerated (3 mins 'in average' for taking a photo of the food, 5 mins for group photo...) I haven't seen anybody taking a food picture for 3 mins.

It seemed to me that the restaurant making excuses for their slow service..

But I admit we are now living in a smartphone centric world.. There is even a new word for it: Phubbing...

• The times might be exaggerated slightly but I think the '3 minute photo' also includes multiple takes, fidgeting with apps, settings, uploading it to instagran, phacebook etc. which then leads to additional surfing, commenting, re-blogging etc. which is why your food gets cold and life goes down the toilet the more you stare at that screen instead of just eating.

• very entertaining. :) I am with @melihdummy here. these numbers are a little high. maybe we can say people spend 5 minutes messaging on their phone or even forget the food, and thats why they want it reheated. a photo is normally about 10 seconds, I would say. :)