Personal View site logo
Gh4 4k for downscale to 1080p
  • I have been reading a lot and looking at examples of gh4 4k footage edited as 1080p vs 1080p off the camera and the 4k to 1080 is clearly better. My question is can the cards I have been using the extreme 95 san disk cards handle the 4k footage without write errors and spanning issues. also I imsagine a 64 gig card would only habdle about a half an hour of 4k footage and this doesn't seem practical. anyone who is currently running a gh4 and filmimg in 4k with subsequent 1080 renders, any tips would be much appreciated. Thanx

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • Cool. But @howardst , you have habit to make topic for any of your questions.

Big number of people shoot at 4K and later rescale or reframe and produce 1080p, all you need it set of good cards.

• thanks vitaly. the cards i have are the sandisk 95,s they were the cards i was told to get for using hacks on my gh2. im just wondering if these same 64 gig sandisk extrene cards will handle the 4,k footage. ive read about u3 cards that are extremelynexpensive. your insight is very very aporeciated and i apolgize for being so annoying sometimes.

• The 4k/100Mbps recording never goes over 85Mbps (10.2MBps = Class U1). In a 64GB card I can store around 100 minutes of 4k video. Never had any issues even with the Sandisk 95 (I normally use the Transcend U3s, which are not expensives)

• More on topic If the 4k (100Mbps) downscaled to 1080 is better than the native 1080 (200Mbps), I wonder how much better 10bit raw 4k from the Sensor to an external Recorder would be? I also wonder how much harder and longer the workflow would be to downconvert to 1080?

• I have used nothing but SanDisk 16gb 45mbps cards to shoot 4k including wedding ceremonies, high detail scenes and everything in between. I really feel the UHC III was a money grab