Personal View site logo
Panasonic LX100 camera topic
  • 566 Replies sorted by
  • I keep seeing really amazing "equivalent apetures" charts but are they basing those charts on the actual area of the sensor which is used or on the nominal "4/3" designation. It's pretty clear tjis camera is not really m4/3 because the lens doesn't cover the whole sensor and calling it that is a bit of marketing slight-of-hand.

• @Leto

The dpreview charts are based on a 2.2x crop factor for 4:3 aspect ratio I believe. Yes it is slight-of-hand. However, it isn't really that much. It is about the same as the difference between Canon A-PSC and Nikon A-PSC.

• If those DPreview charts are based on the actual crop factor then the numbers are pretty impressive!

As someone really only interested in video aspects... does Sony still have an edge due to "full sensor readout"?

• @Leto if you mean edge over ax100 sharpness and moire, then no. -BUT hell man, its on same level as GH4 for half the price and isnt the sharpness of the GH4 4K not enough ??? -and the LX100 100mbps handles motion way better than the ax100 60mbit -1 stop better low light than GH4 f2.8 and miles away from the ax100 in low light and at least 1stop better DR than ax100. -...hell, this is the real pocket cinema camera, and not the BM fail

• Really like so much about this compact. But other than the 4K and a larger sensor (surely there are other reasons like the physical buttons). Still, no ND filters, no 1080/24p, no cinelike profiles (which is asking too much), and no articulating screen.

For stills on the go, my LX7 will likely continue to serve me well for right now. I use it on set all the time.

I noticed talk about the lens on this camera maybe finding its way onto our interchangeable cams. Any truth to that?

• The LX100 have 1080/24p.

1920 x 1080 pixels, 50p (FHD: 28Mbps / AVCHD) (Sensor Output is 50fps) (Dolby)/1920 x 1080 pixels, 24p (FHD: 24Mbps / AVCHD) (Sensor Output is 24fps) (Dolby)/1920 x 1080 pixels, 25p (FHD: 24Mbps / AVCHD) (Sensor Output is 25fps) (Dolby)/1920 x 1080 pixels, 50i (FHD: 17Mbps / AVCHD) (Sensor Output is 50fps) (Dolby)/1920 x 1080 pixels, 50p (FHD: 28Mbps / MP4) (Sensor Output is 50fps) (AAC)/1920 x 1080 pixels, 25p (FHD: 20Mbps / MP4) (Sensor Output is 25fps) (AAC)/1280 x 720 pixels, 25p (HD: 10Mbps / MP4) (Sensor Output is 25fps) (AAC)

• BhPhoto changed the specs on the page to read "Video Clip Length Up to 60 Minutes Limited by Memory Card Capacity " So we now have all the numbers from 15-60 covered in different versions of the specs.

• Does anybody know for about how long the LX100 will be able to record 4K video before the battery runs out?

• More numbers from Amazon USA , if true, major bummer:

4K video can be recorded for up to 15 minutes. When recording in 4K, use a SD card rated UHS Speed Class 3.

Motion pictures in AVCHD can be recorder for up to 29 minutes, 59 seconds.

Motions pictures in MP4 (FHD/HD/VGA) can be recorded for up to 29 minutes, 59 seconds, or up to 4GB.

• They ripped that video and downsampled it to 1080p. The 4K version is here

I was just in Berlin so I recognized it immediately.

• @Vitaliy & @DrDave: This video was posted earlier, already, and I already wrote a comment on it in this thread.

• ok...I have a question, or questions ....

Since you have physically manual control of aspect ratio, shutter speed and aperture on the camera, can you , for example shoot 1:1 4k video using the creative mode filters and manually control the shutter speed and aperture using the dials. BTW, I believe on all previous recent panasonics, you could NOT control exposure in creative mode using for example dynamic b&w. I realize this question is probably premature until the camera is released but the possibilities of this , to me , are very useful, if it can be done. Perhaps in the 4k video mode for photo capture ?

ok, in the specs it says all aspect ratios are selectable in 4k photo mode. Has anyone read what kind of file is this ? A photojpeg file ? Or is it either avchd or mp4 ? I know alot of folks who'd like 4k in 1.33:1 for example. Another thing interesting about the specs is that they have a placeholder for high speed video but it's blank. Maybe coming in a fw upgrade ? Here's the pany page if it hasn't been posted yet.

http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/cameras-camcorders/lumix-digital-cameras---point-and-shoot/compact-cameras/dmc-lx100.html

...so the remaining question is does the camera allow manual exposure in the creative control mode ?

• Hmmm... have a look at this video from 02m:00s to 02m:10s and from 02m:23s to 02m:33s:

Why does the commenter say the awful horizontal bands are not "that bad"? It think, they look horrible. ISO 800 and 1600 should not exhibit such image defects, IMHO. Hope this can be fixed.

• @kurth: As far as I understood from one LX100 preview I watched, the "photo oriented 4k video mode" just records some meta data in the video file that allows to export proper EXIV data when you extract a JPEG from the video (using the cameras feature to do so). And even though not absolutely conclusive, I understood the advertising of the aperture, shutter and aspect ratio knobs such that you could use them whenever you want, also in video mode.

BTW: I like the decision from Panasonic to have no "P/S/A/M" dial but just one "auto" per dial, instead.

• Perfect cam if it did not have the time limit, whatever it is.

• @FeriGGGG I don't think you really know what the BM cameras are capable of or else you wouldn't call it "BM Fail". 4k is not the whole story, I'll take a 1080p 422HQ 10bit / RAW over any 4K 420 8bit camera any day.. the Color Depth is all there. Lastly the image on the BM Cams are soo.. filmic, the IQ is phenomenal, DR is just off the roof. I think I know why so many shooters don't appreciate the BM's because they don't really know how to get the best out of them in the color process. Not trying to take anything away from the LX100 looks like a really nice camera, but I'm so thankful, grateful for my BMPCC t'ill this day no other camera manufacturer gives us features like that, even cameras 16X times the price point.

• @karl: That bands are normaly only coming with the electronic shutter (and certain shutter times).
    On the other hand I hope, that it´s possible to manually set the shutter in video mode WITHOUT the dial.
    (As 1/60th of a second isn´t perfect - Especially when you´re shooting 25P here in Europe.
    AND as the shutter speed steps would be a little bit "raw" compared to any other camera ^^.)

• Shooting with the LX100 is quite fun if you're into taking manual control, while the camera in general feels snappy and responsive. The lens has a fast, smooth zoom and locks focus quickly. The physical dials all have a healthy amount of resistance and toothy detents, save for the smooth-turning aperture ring on the lens.

http://cameras.reviewed.com/content/panasonic-lumix-dmc-lx100-first-impressions-review

• It appears some sample images from the Leica D-Lux sister camera are now up. It's worth noting the color science may be different (which looks great IMO) but the general lens characteristics should be the same as the LX100 - http://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Compact-Cameras/Leica-D-Lux-Typ-109/Image

• @Tron Indeed, according to the Leica representatives, even though Leica D-Lux looks identical to LX100, the flat fielding and color correction software is different.

• I'm more interested in the video area of this camera, but the Leica badge does look appealing :D If the picture quality (color & processing) it's better and it's only a bit more expensive I even might consider going for the Leica one, any tips on the video on this version? Can we expect the same as the lumix version?