Personal View site logo
GH4 RAW files Magenta/pink highlight recovery. LOSING MY MIND!
  • 55 Replies sorted by
  • Thanks @DrDave I will look into DxO but it still doesn't solve my problem of WHY this is happening with the GH4.

I own the GH1, GH2, GH3 and GH4 and only the GH4 exhibits the issue. I can't be the only one with the problem!

• I recommend DxO to develop raw stills, then export or "share" to LR for any final adjustments. Assuming you shot a Macbeth card as well, there are tools that will zero out any color changes.

• @tylerknight,

Unfortunately, I hardly ever use my GH4 for photos. I think someone more familiar with the programs you mentioned above would be a much better help than I can in this situation, sorry I could not help you further.

• @bleach551

I never shoot on Auto WB though that's not the issue. I always either custom white balance, or set on daylight. The whole image isn't pink or green, it's just the highlights. There are posts from people with the same issues from different cameras. It's something to do with Highlight Reconstruction where the program tries to re construct the detail but ends up changing the colours and there is no way to turn it off.

I don't get how I can take the same picture with the same settings on my GH3 and pull the exposure right down and have no colour change but have this camera even with a subtle change turn bright pink

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1x0a52wak3s6ryz/P1200485.RW2?dl=0

ABove is the RAW file if you want to try it out yourself. This is it with the exposure brought down to really show off the extent of the pink.

I have tried it in Lightroom 5.6, Photoshop CC with camera raw 8.6 and Raw Therapee and all of them do the same thing.

If I do an exposure adjustment and lower highlights using the in camera raw editor there are no highlights that turn pink they stay white all the way.

2223.jpg
    2000 x 1333 - 325K
  • @tylerknight,

That sounds like the auto-white balance. I've found that it does exactly what you are describing when green or other dominate colors fill the frame of your composition. I only custom white balance the Gh4 with either a 18% gray or regular "White" white balancing card.

Here are two examples below.

Auto- White Balanced 2.jpg
    4608 x 2592 - 653K
    Custom- White Balanced 2.jpg
    4608 x 2592 - 856K