Personal View site logo
GH4 1.2 firmware update talk
  • The first evidence of gh4 update 1.2. No news about gamma log. :-(

Panasonic Announces the Firmware Update Program for LUMIX DMC-GH4

NEWARK, N.J., Sept. 15, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --

Panasonic announces the new firmware update program for the LUMIX Digital Single Lens Mirrorless (DSLM) camera DMC-GH4. The firmware will be released to enhance the performance and controllability of the camera, featuring new 4K Photo Mode.

The 4K Photo is a new way of photography that Panasonic is proposing. It encourages users to capture the spur-of-the-moment in high resolution 4K photo by cropping out a designated frame from the 4K video. With the new firmware, it is easier to get a 4K photo by using the 4K Photo Mode. Once selecting the 4K Photo Mode, recording format / picture quality setting / brightness level are automatically set to the optimum parameters for photo shooting. Users can record high quality video either in 4:3, 3:2 or even 1:1 aspect ratios in addition to 16:9 – all can provide a still image with 8-megapixel equivalent resolution. Each JPEG image cropped out of the video footage complies with EXIF just as a normal still picture. While recording the 4K video in 4K Photo Mode, it is possible to mark the designated portion by just pressing the [Fn1] button. This can reduce postproduction work for searching the spur-of-the-moment worth cropping out. Moreover, 4K video can be recorded continuously with Loop Rec function which keeps saving the 5 newest 2-minute video files. Users can patiently wait for the perfect photo opportunity to come as long as they want keep the camera recording without worrying about the capacity of the SDXC/SDHC Memory Card*1.

There are more functional upgrades such as the addition of 4K video recording in 23.98p (MP4, AAC) and enhancement of controllability over ISO setting or the amount of flash emission. Also, the DMC-GH4 now expands its connectivity with external equipment. For example, the PC software "USB Tether*2" enables remote camera control (shooting, setting or image data transfer) by PC via USB.

The PHOTOfunSTUDIO 9.5PE and Panasonic Image App for iOS/Android will also be updated to support these functional upgrades.
    The new firmware program is scheduled to be released with more information in detail at the Panasonic LUMIX Support Site at http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/ in the beginning of October, 2014.

*1 Use SDXC/SDHC Memory Card compatible with UHS Speed Class 3 (U3)
    *2 *For more information on PC software "USB Tether", please visit the website of Promote Systems. http://www.promotesystems.com
    Android and Google Play are trademarks or registered trademarks of Google Inc.
    IOS is a trademark or registered trademark of Cisco in the U.S. and other countries and is used under license.

• 24 Replies sorted by
  • If that's the big surprise for gh4 what a let down. So much for raw and 4:2:2 internal rumors.

• @alcomposer

Fixed topic title, as it is not rumor. It is PR.

• We don't know yet about the video modes. I think that the press release is focused on getting press interest. I don't think anybody would care except for people like us about gamma log (whatever that is) or 4:2:2..

So don't panic yet. If I were writing this press release I wouldn't mention raw either. (If it were included)

• RAW is still a rumour... ;-)

• @alcomposer

Not at the posting time. About raw - forget.

• RAW internal is clearly incredibly unlikely. But a Gamma Log seems pretty do-able.

• Yes forget about gamma log as we'll...

• Is there any way to get a question to the atomos team as regards the supposed firmware upgrade to the gh4 that fixes the HDMI interlaced issues?

• Are atomos at Photokina? Nick where are you?

• @alcomposer I'm not so sure they just didn't mention video-centric updates for lack of interest... Perhaps they will take notice of our disappointment and throw a few things in before the release, haha.

I was hoping for fix to problems with Atomos recording, some people point to: "The DMC-GH4 now expands its connectivity with external equipment." for hope that is referring to external recorders. But if that were so I think they would use that as the example instead of "For example, the PC software "USB Tether*2" enables remote camera control (shooting, setting or image data transfer) by PC via USB."

Gamma log, 4.2.2., raw, etc definitely would have been mentioned (if not the the highlight) if they were going to be included. Such features would elevate the camera to a whole new level. I am not expecting those, but perhaps they have a different idea about how to roll out such updates.

The 4K photo mode is eh. There is an opportunity there for anamorphic shooters but the phrasing of the article seems to indicate minimum manual control of the image, and how the function works is not explained very well. It's for hybrid shooters but anyone I talk to thinks grabbing stills from 4K video is a neat option to have but doesn't ever use it.

• Are atomos at Photokina?

Nick will be talking to them tomorrow, as I understand.

• 4K Photo Mode is a, "new way of photography that Panasonic is proposing", which allows photographers to capture 8-megapixel still images directly from their 4K video recordings, which offer full EXIF data, just like a standard photo.

Thing here is that now it is easy to know all shooting settings you used.

• Nice if that was system wide! @VK

• USB thing is good...if its works as I imagine :) Full 1080 or 720 stream to devices over usb so I can use whatever as a monitor.

• Yes, if we'll be able to stream through USB... it could be nice for monitoring. But i guess it will be only for stills. Actually i would be so happy if, with the new fw, they were just to improve the aliasing/moire in 1080p. I've been shocked at how worse this mode is compared to GH2. I mean, 4k is a nice option, but i mainly wanted the GH4 as an improvement to the GH2 1080 mode. For architecture shots is really terrible and more in general for anything that has a busy geometrical pattern. GH2 never gave me these bad issues, and i still have to understand why, but maybe is just my technical ignorance. For sure i would have never imagined that the price for 4k, was a worse 1080p.

• I'm going to take a Giorgio A. Tsoukalos :) (if anyone doesn't know who he is http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/ancient-aliens )

Could the big implementations in the firmware (the surprise that Panasonic is said to have) be delayed?

Could the Olympus E-M1 4k be delayed because of the delay from Panasonic.

Could Panasonic have a agreement with Olympus so that they only can implement 4K when Panasonic has a bigger edge with the GH4?

• I agree JLemos. But personally I believe the delay could also be attributed to issues encountered while reverse engineering alien technology.

• There will be no 4K firmware update for Olympus right now and none is planned in the near furure according to a Olympus Manager. I asked today.

• I really thought that this update would be heavily geared towards video features. Adding S-Log, fixing the 96 FPS resolution issue, and improved 4K focusing all seemed like reasonable items that they would add or update.

I was shocked and pleased to see the updates were photocentric. Ironically they seem to follow the video that I posted. I asked for a few features that would help take pictures and videos simultaneously and they appears to be exactly what this update does.

Now I am sure this was their plan all along and my video had no influence on them. However, I really would like to know if they will implement the minimum shutter duration in Program Priority mode. That is essential for pulling the still frames from video like they are suggesting.

Their synopsis of the changes hints that you will be able to set the video settings exactly like you set photo settings. That means Aperture priority mode is out because it won’t let you control shutter speed. With stills and the mechanical shutter you sometimes don’t care what the shutter speed is. However, with video and the electronic shutter you always have to be careful about what shutter duration you are using to avoid skewing and strobing from fluorescent lighting sources.

Shutter Priority isn’t much use either because it won’t allow you to control aperture.

Manual control mode is good if they allow Auto ISO. However, you can’t currently adjust exposure compensation with Full manual controls in movie mode. Therefore, manual mode is not the best mode either.

In Program Priority mode you can adjust Aperture and shutter speed relative to each other and you can adjust exposure compensation as well. That is almost perfect except for Panasonic has chosen to set the minimum shutter duration at 1/60 of second for very wide lenses even if they are very fast as well.

1/60 just isn’t fast enough for a lot of situations. A min shutter duration would resolve all of these issues. I really hope that they implement that feature from the LX7.

• The new GH4 firmware 2.0 is ready to be downloaded

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/dl/gh4.html

• With firmware 2.0 I am seeing an increase in the effective bitrate of 4k footage (mp4 and mov). Previously it was rarely over 80-82Mbps, now I am getting up to 96Mbps (@25fps).

• @itrofnoc that sounds promising. I wonder if the 96fps mode has had a bitrate boost also?

• Please keep it to one topic, this one is about 1.2

• I see there is a new topic now