Personal View site logo
Driftwood Cluster X Series 4:│Moon T8│Spizz T7
  • 691 Replies sorted by
  • Hello guys, i'm a rookie with GH2 patches, so please excuse my ignorance if my post/video test looks too amaturish to some here. Thanks a lot Driftwood & Vitaly for priceless work on thsese GH2 patches, much appreciated.

Here's a short Moon T8 test i did last weekend, i didn't encounter any problem testing using sandisk extreme pro 95m/64gb card, and based on my observations, this is the best overall image quality of all the moon patches i've tried, i love it. I added a lil Moon 5 to this test just to see instant comparison, im sorry if it's off topic guys.

I've been following moon threads for a while, although this is my first post, as im not technically knowlegded with the nitty gritty of the patches, i can't stop being amazed at how every latest moon patch turns out to be a significant improvement from the previous one even though some people here thought the previous one couldnt probably get any better cos they so good already. All i can say is BIG KUDOS TO YOU DRIFTWOOD. To say you are a genius is an understatement, thanks much.

• Spizz T7@vintage lenses (Jupiter, Helios, Mir)

• "It doesn't matter whether it's GOP3, GOP12 or another GOP size other than 1."

My point, precisely.

• @Driftwood I've been testing Moon T8 on two cameras for the last couple of days Nick, and I gotta say, I'm impressed especially with the low light. It plays in camera too and today I tried it with electronic lenses and no glitches. You get 4 stars for this one.

• @Jim_Simon It doesn't matter whether it's GOP3, GOP12 or another GOP size other than 1. (even stock GH2 footage has this issue). GOP1 = Intra-frame, anything non-Intra-frame will cause "rain" with the newer (since CS6) Mainconcept h264 encoder used in many products (among ones from Adobe, but also many others), When it has all actual frames and doesn't have to reconstruct any frames with the decoder (that's what intra frame is basically) it's ok, but otherwise you're gonna have to re-encode to something else first. If you're handy enough with FFmpeg it's easy to get around though, and you can always use apps with a front-end GUI like the very popular 5DtoRGB to get to a intra-frame codec like prores or dnxhd.

• @dancerchris I did see the rain on some DREWnet 12 GOP patches as well, so it's not just GOP3, which I've never used.

And the problems shows up in both VLC and KMPLayer as well, not just NLEs.

But again, not there in the Intra patches like Moon.

• @nomad @ Jim_Simon The digital rain is from GOP3 hacks, intra ala Moon is GOP1. Spizz uses GOP3. The problem is the way a certain aftermarket codec is interpreting the info and both Adobe and Sony use it, (I think it is even more widespread than those two).

• I have confirmed about the spanning issue of T8 patch with 02 GH2 and 01 Sandisk 16GB 45MB/s and 01 Sandisk 32GB 45MB/s following: - Spanning well on both Sandisk above, and both GH2 (one is Japanese version and other is US version) - DO NOT span IF you turn film mode to MULTI FILM mode. I have accidentally switched to the multi film mode and found it causing the problem with span function on GH2.

• @nomad

I haven't seen any rain since I switched to the all Intra Moon patches.

• @nomad "digital rain" still affects a lot of software, for me it is Sony Vegas Pro. You can fix it by transcoding to intermediate codec for existing recordings. You can avoid it altogether by not using GOP3 hacks.

• @treibholtz 'SPACE' Is a great long duration setting that spans on every level. Always 32Mbps minimum.

• Does anybody still experience the "digital rain" effect when decoding with current Adobe software?

• @Gardner, I really enjoyed the color scheme of it all. Awesome for weddings, since they are pretty warm, light moments. Good shit.

• @matt_gh2 Thanks man, and while they were cutting the cake my photographer actually gave me the idea to shoot their portrait and it actually ended up being useful! @jdude Thanks, and I would definitely recommend it if you want beautiful slow motion but in order to get playback you will have to switch off the camera and cut it back on (which I had to do some during the shoot).

• For PAL 25fps I really like GOLGOP3-12 from bkmcwd. It's very reliable, spans & looks great.

• I know 'best' can be a bit subjective.

But...for those who may use HBR PAL/25p, which patch do you find best? I'm flitting between Spizz T7 and Nebula T8, but as I'm not that experienced with using GH2 I'm hoping that someone with more usage/experience can give their opinion.

• @Gardner Very nice wedding video. I'm very impressed to with the quality of Spizz T7 thanks for sharing. Did you have any problems with the patch during the recording of the wedding? I film weddings too but I found that the most stable patch for me is Moon T5. Will you recommend Spizz T7 for wedding videography?

• @Gardner I like that closing shot on wedding video. Cool idea for the shot.

• @Gardner: Ok, done! Deleted. If you noticed in the description, I strongly published the link to the original source, i.e. to your video, never wrote it's my job. Only a grading test with my plug-in. Don't know why you took it so jealously weird, but even as a wedding video it's too whitish, out of any even unnatural contrast. It looks to me way flatter than any normal flat image, more defect than effect...

• @producer It's a wedding not a "Hollywood Picture", so the look of the wedding was a conscious choice. Also take down your video before I report you as I'm sure you ripped the video. This was a paid job and I don't believe you shot the film, thank you.

• @AlbertZ: Ask Gardner about the lens.

@chauncy: Just find even one movie production with such a blown out picture from Hollywood or wherever. I definitely wouldn't call this a "mist" effect. The image should be better even if 3 or more LowCon (UltraCon) filters were applied :)

• @producer nice color :) what lenses have you used here?

• the original grade was vastly superior in everyway. the mist effect was clearly a conscious choice.