Personal View site logo
GH2 and 430EX...Rear-curtain sync possible?
  • As the title says, is it possible to even do the specific 'Rear-Curtain Sync' flash mode with the GH2 and a Canon 430EX flashgun?

All I can see in the menu is 'Slow-sync' flash mode and that's only available in Aperture Mode, and I do everything in Manual.

Am I missing something here? cause it is a really big shame that the GH2 is not able to do such flash mode :(

• 10 Replies sorted by
  • Yup, it's possible! On the GH2, switch to a stills mode and go into the REC MODE menu. There should be a FLASH SYNCHRO item. Switch it from 1st curtain to 2nd curtain.

• @jpw21683

Hi there, sorry for the late reply!

You are right, there is this option and I have tried it myself!

HOWEVER...this does NOT work with my Canon 430EX flashgun. With the GH2 built-in flash, it has a pre-flash at the start and then the full-flash in the end which is exactly how a Rear-curtain sync flash mode works, but with my (or probably any) flashgun it only fires one flash, hence not making proper use of this synchronization.

Am I once again missing something here? :(

• Hello?

Anyone at all may I ask??

• Hello?

Anyone at all may I ask??

Isnt it at all possible to get the flashgun to pre-flash and full-flash with the GH2? It doesn't seem to do so! :(

• Usually for all modes to work you need compatible flash.
    Normal non-native flash will fire one time only (as usually preflash is used to determinate exposure). Usually you just use it in manual mode. But I rarely use flash on m43.

• Hmmm, as far as I'm aware, there isn't a Panasonic branded flashgun like the 430EX, are you to say that my one isn't compatible for this to work? What one will perhaps?

And I do everything in Manual, I like to take the time to set my exposures :D

• It depends on that you want. If you want all features - you need native or compatible flash, as I said. Check Panasonic site about flashes.

• Well all I want is for my 430EX to work with the GH2's 'Rear-Curtain Sync' flash mode which is known as 'FLASH SYNCHRO: 2nd curtain'.

It works/flashes twice with its built-in pop-up flash but not with the 430EX, even though that is also set to Slow Shutter Sync.

Isn't it at all possible? :(

• Thing is, by idea it must not flash twice, as I understand. Changing mode just changes time the flash fires relative to shutter movement.

• 'Rear-Curtain Sync' flash mode is made to flash twice on a slow-sync shutter (a long exposure), you can try it with a GH2's pop-up flash, this is suppose to be replicated with an external flash.