Personal View site logo
RJ Lens Turbo m43 adapters
  • 782 Replies sorted by
  • I received mine a few months ago and it doesn't have a tripod foot. It is the Nikon G. Can I buy it separately?

It seems you did it before they were available. Most probably it won't work with your adapter.

I've tried adjusting the RJ adapter and used its full range of adjustment but cant get it to work right.

Do you have single lens to try it with? Also you can use too big steps between adjustments.

• Does the RJ lens turbo come with both front and rear caps?

• Hi everybody, almost ready to order my M42-version and have a question for another one:

Could I use my Hexanon lenses with Konica AR mount via a AR->Leica-M adapter on the Leica-M-RJ adapter on my Blackmagic Pocket? The flange distance should be alright for this.

• can we petition RJ to make a BMPCC focal reducer?

• @Vitaliy_Kisilev

It doesnt look like the lens Turbo is any different to the current one. It just has an attachable tripod foot.

In terms of infinity focus, I have tried it with a few lenses and the same thing happens. Ive made small adjustments of the lens turbo and gone to both extremes of the adjustment but cant get it to work right. I can infinity focus but it happens before the infinity mark on the lenses then the whole image goes out of focus.

• Any word yet of an upcoming Rollei QBM - Micro 4/3 Speed Booster?

• @Tone13 I was wondering about the focus scale on these... I have a regular nikon-mft adapter and the focus scale is off on that as well, but I can get close and infinity focus OK. Its just off scale in between, but who knows it may just be the lens itself.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Think I have been mislead by wishful thinking that made me see a Lens Turco Leica-M to MFT.

So there is no way to use any Lens Turbo with my Konica AR lenses, isn't it?

• @hilburger

All the adapters present now have bigger flange focal distance - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance , so yep.

• Ok I just realized that all new Nikon G adapters come with the foot. My bad...

• @chopnshoot: Yes, please lets make them make a BMPCC one. :) I would not know how to go about this, though.

Has anyone tried stacking the EF-M43 Lens Turbo with various EF adapters and old lenses like M42 and MD? I would like to see some results as to possible optical problems.

• Just testing the RJ Focal Reducer Canon EF to m4/3 (with tripod mount) on my two favorite M42 lenses using the extra adapter M42 to Canon EF. So far so good, very happy with the results. No need to buy the seperate adapter for M42 lenses. Don't have focus to infinity but I don't care. If I want it I would make a micro adjustment.

• @sakattaq76 Thank you for the great example!

• Mine arrived some days ago and it is amazing quality. There is no reason to get anything else. Perfect corner, edge and center sharpness. Fstop gain and built qualit is OK. New life to all lenses.

• Panasonic G6+RJ+Nikkor 85/1.8D+Olympus 45/1.8 in some shots.

Adapter is amazing=)

• @sakattaq76: great! what would you have to do to get infinity focus?

• @fatpig, thanks! It has been mentioned in a previous post that you have to unscrew the rear mount of the adapter so that you can change the distance between the two rear elements. Doing so you can achieve the prefered focus to infinity. Mark the original position before you change anything. It also depends on the lense.

• I just got mine, and I think I have a little too much focus past infinity, I think Ive lost a bit of close focus. I'll have to try adjusting it back a bit. There is severe binding with my Nikon AI 35mm F1.4 lens when trying to adjust the aperture. From 1.4 - 2 its fine, from 2 - 2.8 its a little stiff, and from 2.8 - 16 it is a serious workout to try to turn the ring. I know it is mounted properly, so it must just be a tolerance issue at the front of the adapter.

Either way, the images are turning our very nicely! I have noticed an improvement in the spherical abberation and sharpness at f/1.4, which is awesome because the lens is now usable wide open.

I did notice, however, that turning the aperture ring on the lens from f/2 to f/1.4 (f/1.0 effectively) definitely did not increase the brightness by one full stop. With a fixed ISO, the shutter speed only increased by about a third stop. Going from f/2.8 to f/2 on the lens (f/1.4 effectively) did increase the shutter speed by about a full stop. From f/4 - f/2.8 (f/2 effective) the shutter speed increase was definitely a full stop. This is apparently due to the phenomenon of smaller pixels becoming less efficient at grabbing larger and larger amounts of light as the aperture increases. It supposedly comes into play somewhere between f/2 and f/1.4 depending on pixel size, and is severely limiting by f/1.0, as I observed. Off-topic, I know, but still interesting nonetheless.

Edit: The more I think about this, it doesnt make complete sense, but perhaps it has to do with the angle of light hitting the sensor. Also, since smaller pixels cannot accept light at angles approaching parallel as much as larger pixels, this might make more sense in that regard.

• also, it sounds like you are using some automatic mode on your camera. I am not sure this is an accurate way of measuring the amount of light you are getting. :) still nice to hear good things for this adapter.

• @joethepro

it is like that. no problem in adapter or lens. neither pixel sensitivity. it is a physical lens construction behavior.

if you use a full frame lens on a full frame body you will perceive that the first fstop changes the amount of light in the center of the frame but the corners keep with same amount of light. as you stop down, the light in the center will calibrate with the light in the corners, and will decrease the vignetting, and the amount of light will be 1 fstop changing. the angle in which the light goes into the lens does not allow a perfect light distribution when the lens is wide open, so there is a small light changing from 1.4 to 2.0 but when you go from 2.0 to 2.8 the diafragm was already a little closed and if you take a look through the lens you will perceive that the amount of diafragm area is big in the first fstopdown. than from 2.0 to 2.8 the diafragm was already blocking the light which goes only to the center, and than there will be better light distribution and full fstop changing.

in my tests i perceived something around 0.8 fstop changing instead of 1 fstop but this is expected because the glass are not 100% transmission.

• I also used it in manual mode and watched the exposure meter change, but yes it was an unscientific test. :) @apefos Thanks for the info! Makes much sense.

• Received my RJ Pentax K to m43 adapter, and am very pleased with it. Below are some off-the-card jpgs taken with the good old GH1. There are many great full frame Pentax K lenses out there, and unlike Nikon and Canon the market isn't flooded with competition for them. I can now use my set properly on m43. The shots below were taken wide, between 1.4-2.8.

alt text alt text alt text alt text

• @racer5 These shots are amazing! Do you by chance have a videos posted with this adapter and Pentax lenses? Would love to also get your recommendations on some nice Pentax lenses for wide, medium, and close-ups? These shots just kill!