Personal View site logo
Suggest a cheap lens set
  • I have looked a many topics/posts on here.

However, I'm looking at getting a cheap (non-native M43) lens set. Kind of flipping between Nikon/Nikkor or a Zeiss Jena (or maybe a Takumar).

Any thoughts/advice?

• 15 Replies sorted by
  • To add, looked at Zeiss Contax Y/C but I think getting a decent set of a few lens will be a touch out of my reach at the moment.

• Samyang, period. Pentax, Minlta, Canon FD are also options, but Samyang is modern lenses, plus it can be cine lens set from the start.

• Jeysus f.... christ...a reply from the 'man' himself.

I'l have a look a Samyang.. but looking to get cheap/bargain (yes, I know.. "you get what you pay for") rather than "reasonably priced".

• Get a speedbooster and dummy adapter and then try:

Nikkor AI/AI-s

24mm f2.8

35mm f2

50mm f1.4

85mm f2

Combo really won't be worthwhile without a speedbooster though... Without speedbooster, a standard set will be lenses between 12-50mm

• Cheapest: RJ Canon FD lens turbo with Canon 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4 and Vivitar 28-90mm f2.8-3.5.

Future proof: Samyang Nikon mount Cine lens kit http://www.samyang-lens.co.uk/samyang-vdslr-cine-lens-kits.html with Metabones Nikon G Speedbooster.

• I had been big fan of old lenses. But with time you realize that except few of them it not worth your time - just get Samyang lens set form lenses you can get, like 10mm, 35mm, 85mm. Add to it 20mm and 45mm native lenses and you are done for primes.

• I have samyangs ciné 14, 35 and 85 in canon mount, I recentely tested them on a GH4 with a RJ speed booster and was totally pleased with the combo. Great consistant color & contrast (not the case when using old lenses, you have to match them in post, a pain...) Beautiful flare, smooth focus and amazing sharpness. Can only recommend! Total about 1000€ of lenses, but worth it!

+1 Samyang

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev But isn't it true that Samyang is not moving forward with a 50mm for Canon/Nikon/Sony but just for Micro Four Thirds? Makes things difficult if you want a matching set for use with Speedbooster, or want a future proof lens set for moving up to a cinema camera.

• Fujinon A20x8 BEVM-28 is by and far the best lens Ive used so far on GH2.

• But isn't it true that Samyang is not moving forward with a 50mm for Canon/Nikon/Sony but just for Micro Four Thirds?

I think they even not announced it yet :-)

• @Haberdasher

Fujinon A20x8 BEVM-28 is by and far the best lens Ive used so far on GH2.

Very strange statement. And it does not have any relation to this topic even.

• Sorry if I sound strange, but I should have said "Why fuck around with a bunch of lenses if one can do the whole job for you"

• I'm looking at getting a cheap (non-native M43) lens set

Minolta is a good option too and way cheaper than nikkor Ai - links to PV's threads 1 and 2. Pentax also has nice stuff, I've got 28, 35 an 50mm f2.8 and f1.7. What I personally found to be hardest with legacy lenses is good quality fast WA... not to talk about weigh, which in my case is crucial.

As other PVs already mentioned, future proof is important, focal reducers may get you a bit wider and faster too. It also depends on which is the use intended (if geared or not) and looks you're after, as (well just a big common place) vintage lenses will bring to the table their non-optimised, what OIS? very pronounced characters. That said I love grandpas... they really know a few things.

You asked for cheap non-native so if costs is of most importance Vitaliy's recommendation is surely the cheapest way around to a quality matched prime set, MHO.

BTW the Rokinnon 12mm f2 (300€) is an affordable 255gr of motherfucking blade to the throat bastard prime.
    To be able to carry 12, 20, 45mm tiny prime set around 900grs makes all the difference to me, mind you, not follow focusing or ass peaking :P

@all cheers guys