Personal View site logo
Sony A7s, FHD camera, with 12Mp sensor, big DR
  • 1100 Replies sorted by
  • @MikeLinn Thanks for the links. It was kind of hilarious in the last one when they tried to figure out why the GH4 maxed out at ISO 6,400 and said "maybe it's a micro-four-thirds thing". Good to know we just imagined being able to use ISO 12,800 on the GH2 with PTool since 2011. ;)

• @MikeLinn, you wanna buy one already? You're like a Google alert for the a7s. :P

• @balazer, in his defense he's like a Google alert for a bunch of other cameras and threads lol

• I was asked for a 720p 120fps Slog2 clip. here it is. outdoor, sunny, on a spinning boat. HOYA Variable ND -green color cast removed by auto white balance in camera. Nikkor 28-70/2.8 https://mega.co.nz/#!k8FXGTCL!wnCZiD5Uh6PccMkdJaxIQJpibgRdjsaUvSX07iH_FuQ

• Shot a short film on the a7s yesterday, just to test it out and see what works and not. A dimly lit room ofc to test low light. Only stills for now with a quick dirty grade (too much for my taste and not matching too good, but I also wanted to see how much I could push it. It's quite flexible), just levels and curves, no LUTs or film convert. Will do proper grade when I've edited the short. Used Kholi's SLOG (really like it, man!). Canon 24-70 f/2.8. Started out with FF, but switched to crop mode when I felt that I needed more tele. Didn't really see any difference, stayed at ISO 3200 all the time.

1.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 1M
    2.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 1023K
    3.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 1M
    4.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 1M
    5.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 1M
    6.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 1M
  • Thanks for the clip @jurand! I'll check it as soon as I get home. Really excited to see what I can bend out of it. :)

• @hempo22 really impressive stills! what lights have you used exactly?

• @AlbertZ thanks. Just a regular 300w with some diffusion and DIY black wrap to flag it off.

• BMPCC vs. Sony a7S, this time using an ACES workflow for both:

High bit rate version:
    http://www.4shared.com/video/MCaDQImGce/ACES_BMPCC_vs_a7S.html

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Is there any possibility of a bitrate hack on the A7S similar to that of the GH2 it looks like the A7S with only 50 mbps could really use a higher bitrate.

• The a7S's compressor performs very well. I routinely shoot 1080/60p to 50 Mbps XAVC-S, and compression noise is simply not an issue. Of course it helps that the camera has low noise even at somewhat high ISO settings.

If you need higher bit rates, use an external uncompressed recorder.

• @balazer I'm talking about for grading purposes a higher bitrate would be better, and the external recorders make the camera not so portable (and are extremely expensive!). With only 50mbps there is still a lot of room for improvement in the bitrate. My gh2 goes all the way up to 200 and beyond. I think this camera is a GREAT candidate for a hack as was the gh2.

• Is there any possibility of a bitrate hack on the A7S similar to that of the GH2 it looks like the A7S with only 50 mbps could really use a higher bitrate.

For now - nope, no one knows encryption of last gen Sony cameras.

• The GH2 tops out around 150 Mbps. It can't do 200.

For low noise footage, 50 Mbps long-GOP is higher quality than 150 Mbps intra. Intra is very inefficient.

I shoot S-Log2 exclusively, and it grades fine.

• Echoing balazer, I can report that I've done simultaneous HDMI capture with the A7s, and the internal XAVC version grades virtually identical to it, even when pushing to the extreme. The XAVC codec is superb!

The only place where a higher bitrate would be useful would be for 1080 60P. As it is, 60P is very, very good, but pixel peeping around, I can see a few subtle issues. But for 24P, don't worry about the bitrate - it's great.

• Just wanted to share this quick camera test during a tech rehearsal I had yesterday. Ignore the audio and jello as it was just the camera audio and handheld to get framing, but let me know what you think of everything else :)

• Hey A7s Owners! What is your favorite picture profile (OTHER THAN S-LOG2) and why?

• @MikeLinn

Sony A7S vs. Panasonic GH4 ISO comparison – very helpful. Thank you for posting this.

(Need to choose a 2nd camera.)