Personal View site logo
Panasonic FZ1000 1", 4K video, superzoom, official topic
  • 297 Replies sorted by
  • DPReview finished it's review: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz1000

Now a doubt: DPReview says that the FZ1000 have clean HDMI output (but no word about modes), and Imaging Resource says that not. Which one is right?

• As far as I know - FZ1000 actually does have a clean hdmi output :-)

• Anybody here pre-ordered the camera?

• Maybe that's only my opinion, but image in low light looks very soft, mushy and noisy :-((( Maybe setting it to more flat colour profile could help ?

• @wielkiczarnyafgan Yeah, in this video it is noisy. But it is hard to judge, since we don't know the conditions of the scenes, and (especially) the settings used.

Very good chance that was an consumer user, filming in full auto. The footage was captured in 60p/50p, judging by the motion; we don't know what was the shutter speed, which could be higher than needed, too.

Still wanting to see some reviews from people who really knows how to film with proper settings...

The user manuals (simple and advanced) from the camera are finally available for donwload - good to see some points not covered (or not clear) from the current reviews. http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DMC-FZ1000

• Author of the video has replied to my question, shutter could be fast, conditions were bad, but it was only ISO 1600!!! I think my old GH2 ( which I sold 2years ago had better low light performance ).

"I have set as follows: ISO:1600 WB:daylight Exposure:aperture‐priority automatic exposure Aperture:F4.0"

Damn, I really liked this camera until I sam this footage. Hope Panasonic will fix the noise with firmware upgrade.

I wish someone could post a Low Light comparison of FZ1000 with FZ200 ( which I owned too, then I could estimate the real FZ1000 low light performance, I wish it's better than FZ200! )

• Btw. I like the slow-motion quality

• It's almost certain that the FZ1000 will have worst low light performance than GH2, and better than the FZ200 - because of the sensor sizes, different between the three.

• Wow, it's not really revealing what you saying. I do own the RX10 a the moment, I owned FZ200, GH1 and GH2 - it's not really about the sensor size difference, but the way the sensor processes the noise. Newer cameras have better low light capabilites when compared with their precedessors, look at the GH3 and GH2 for example. They share the same ( more less ) sensor size, but GH3 has better low light performance thanks to newer image processor. Similar thing is when you compare RX10 which has only half size of GH2 sensor, but outperforms the GH2 in low light severly, because of different, newer image processor.

To compare: in scenes where I could hardly set ISO 1600 with GH2, I can go for ISO 6400 with RX10 with no problem, and the image is brighter and has less noise. Btw. I am not a Sony fanboy, had more panasonic's than sony's in my life as you can see and off course I am considering to buy or not to buy the FZ1000.

• Very nice movie and the first scenes in low light don't look so bad.

For those looking for a superzoom camera that excels at both photo and video quality, the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 delivers. While it doesn't have a constant maximum aperture of its biggest competitor - the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 - the FZ1000's F2.8-4 lens covers a much greater 25-400mm equivalent range. The FZ1000 has an advantage over ILCs, as any lens you add to one of those cameras will be larger, heavier and pricier.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz1000

gh4_38.jpg
    800 x 597 - 89K
  • I live in Germany and I ordered the camera from adorama and now I read an amazon.com review that the US models don't shoot video longer than 29 minutes? is that true? what a bummer then. the cam was supposed to go on a tripod for concert shoots. if true, this sucks. the fact they don't include 24p in 4k was bad but this...anyone knows if it is true?

• @olli66 - this is because it's marketed as a dslr. A camcorder is subject to higher EU tax, so the FZ1000 will be restricted from shooting continuously.

• I guess that this time it is not because of EU taxes. I've downloaded the Advanced Manual from Panasonic site, and this 30 minutes is mentioned - and the manual is from the US version, NTSC. It is in page 33:

• [AVCHD] motion pictures:
      Recording stops when the continuous recording time exceeds 29 minutes and 59 seconds.
    • Motion pictures with their file size set to [FHD], [HD] or [VGA] in [MP4]: Recording stops when the continuous recording time exceeds 29 minutes and 59 seconds or the file size exceeds 4 GB.
    • Since the file size becomes larger with [FHD], recording with [FHD] will stop before 29 minutes 59 seconds.
    • Motion pictures with their file size set to [4K] in [MP4]: Recording stops when the continuous recording time exceeds 29 minutes and 59 seconds. (You can continue recording without interruption even if the file size exceeds 4 GB, but the motion picture file will be divided and played back separately.)
  • Some other issues: in the comments of the Imaging Resource's overview, Dave Etchells (the site founder) confirmed with Panasonic that the 30 min limit is for all the FZ1000 models, even the US ones.

And he said (and I confirmed in the FZ1000's Advanced Manual, page 194), that the HDMI output is disabled during recording. For stills, it could be used.

Two point clearly made to "protect" the GH4. Two good point where @Vitaliy_Kiselev would work some magic... :)

• so Adorama has wrong information on the video recording time limit? " Continuous Recordable Time: AVCHD Approx. 130 min (FHD/60p), Approx. 135 min (FHD/60i) Continuous Recordable Time: MP4 Approx. 130 min (FHD) Actual Recordable Time: AVCHD Approx. 65 min (FHD/60p), Approx. 70 min (FHD/60i) Actual Recordable Time: MP4 Approx. 65 min (FHD) "

• Sorry, me again on that continuous shooting issue but I have to find out asap if I keep my pre-order with Adorama or not, buying the US model and paying shipping and taxes only makes sense for me if I can record video as long as battery and SD cards last... This is taken from the official manual and confusing to me. Can anyone clarify please? Recording motion pictures (when using the monitor) [AVCHD] (Recording with picture quality set to [FHD/17M/60i]) [MP4] (Recording with picture quality set to [FHD/20M/30p]) • [AVCHD] motion pictures: Recording stops when the continuous recording time exceeds 29 minutes and 59 seconds. • Motion pictures with their file size set to [FHD], [HD] or [VGA] in [MP4]: Recording stops when the continuous recording time exceeds 29 minutes and 59 seconds or the file size exceeds 4 GB. – Since the file size becomes larger with [FHD], recording with [FHD] will stop before 29 minutes 59 seconds. • Motion pictures with their file size set to [4K] in [MP4]: Recording stops when the continuous recording time exceeds 29 minutes and 59 seconds. (You can continue recording without interruption even if the file size exceeds 4 GB, but the motion picture file will be divided and played back separately.)

• Can anyone confirm it can do 240fps in 720? Also regarding slow motion, is it VFR like GH4 or does it output a 120/240fps file? Thanks!

• Ah, page 2 answered my question, whoops. Still curious about VFR? Would like to be able to playback in slow motion in camera.

• IR is confirming clean hdmi

• Yep.

As long as you're not recording internally, the Panasonic FZ1000 can output a clean image over its HDMI port, using the 4:2:2 subsampling standard most common to professional video work.

The output is 4K or 1080p, depending on what you set as your recording resolution.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/07/31/the-panasonic-fz1000-can-output-clean-hdmi-video

• Just received the camera today. Here are my initial thoughts.

The zoom control really is not smooth at all, plus it is noisy. Sounds like the servo motor is working very hard to bring the lens out and back in. Definitely not to be used during recording for any useable footage!
    I don't see why they made the focus/zoom ring rotate so smoothly and then have actual zooming be crappier than what's on my point and shoot. What's the point?
    If it was not servo controlled and only a manual zoom, it would actually be of some use, maybe with a zip gear and follow focus.

PROS: - Shoots 4K (UHD) - Great zoom range - Sharp Leica lens - Uses same batteries as GH2 - Mic input - Superfast AF - Great Slow Motion similar to GH4

CONS: - Crops in when shooting 4K (real 35mm equiv. range starts at 37mm) - Even shooting 1080p it does not give you true 25mm equiv. - Servo zoom is noisy, image jumps around, does not keep focus, and clunky sounding - Aperture is not constant throughout zoom range - Feels very plastic (but light) - 29m59s recording limit on 4K shooting (I am in US) - SD card slot is at the bottom with battery!

Image is lovely though!