Personal View site logo
Sony A7s, FHD camera, with 12Mp sensor, big DR
  • 1100 Replies sorted by
  • @endotoxic

This has been posted here earlier. Those guys at Cinema5D are Canon and Sony apologists. ;)

• The Cinema5D test is hilarious. They guise it under all this scientific talk but don't show any of the work that led to their conclusions. There is no way 5D3 in H.264 has more usable DR than the C300 in Clog. I would also wager that the A7s has at least 1-2 stops that are just too noisy by trying to fit 14+ stops in 8bit codec. Of course if they showed the images that led to their conclusions it would either reveal fanboyism or show they are correct. Right now that test stinks.

They still haven't answered which 'Cine like' profile they used as V & D give very different DR numbers.

• so far the only believeable facts about DR are the dxomark measurements: GH4 12.8stops, A7S 13.2stops which is shame on sony

• Since when is 13 stops a shame? Sorry BlackMagic, you're an embarrassment.

• @hempo22

It's a shame because Sony was quoting a much higher number.

• @last_SHIFT 5:35AM "Lol - that guy is complaining about how his 'Canon lenses' didn't work well with the 'Metabones adapter' on the 'Sony FE mount'. Is there some magical universal adapter that lets you cross brands together seamlessly? Did he just start buying gear and did not know this? Maybe he shouldn't have been so quick to post about the camera in the first place...oh I get it, these are all 'evolving' reviews aka let me change my mind and not take responsibility for it."

I'm not complaining at all. Only pointing out what I consider issues with the A7s. Don't be so attached to it. It's just a camera! :-D and it's my hard earned money that I used to buy it.

I was hoping the new version of the Metabones adapter would solve some issues. It works fine but does crash a lot. I wish auto focus was better too for stills. The A7s is a hybrid and I want to take full advantage of that. In order to I would need to buy native mount lenses. This gets expensive.

As for my review I stand by what I've written so far. I actually have a day job so writing for my blog takes up a ton of my personal time and adding to a review over time makes sense otherwise it will take forever to complete. I see no issue in doing it this way. Here is a test I did with A7s and the Canon 24-105. I also shot some 120 fps stuff too but it was pretty noisy. The camera was set to Slog2 and graded with Colorista II.

@last_SHIFT Care to share anything you shot to the conversation?

• Color modes and workflow comparison for the GH2, a7S, and BMPCC:

high bit rate version for download: http://www.4shared.com/video/OzjGrOI6ba/GH2_vs_a7S_vs_BMPCC.html

This was a best-case scenario for all three cameras: lowest ISO settings, well exposed, and a sharp lens that more than covers all three sensors.

• I'm waiting for my cat to get back from the vet.

• @erikn I wouldn't worry too much...I personally found that your review really bought up some interesting points, and I have read others mentioning exactly the same points as well and been a lot harsher on the camera than you were, its a really good article on all the things that bothered you about the camera, and the adding up of costs is a really great piece of information in this article.

Andrew over at EOSHD really loves the camera for his work, and thats great, for his work its probably the camera he needs most right now, but everyone has different needs and different things bother people. I for one am very cautious about getting an a7s to add to the GH4 I recently bought.. I am really glad I read your thoughts and also many people at the dvxuser forum have expressed similar thoughts to yours and elsewhere too, many of those problems would drive me nuts . Personally if you cant get hands on with a camera...I think its wise to read a cross section of all the info...good and bad before you pull the trigger...saves a lot of hassle.

• Hey @balazer thanks for the tests and footage! Really usefull stuff. Would you happen to have any wide dynamic s-log2 120fps footage for download?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

One can learn a lot from the A7s from that article. Much more than most other 'professionals' blogs. Loved his approach on that.

• @last_SHIFT

Also contrary to most review sites they actually can take good photos.

• @Manu4Vendetta with settings used in these clips, the GH4 shows higher DR and a more appealing image (to my taste, of course). A7s looks to much contrasted. May be they did not use SLog-2 and native ISO.

• it's an awful comparison - for sure it wasnt slog2 which has a base iso of 3200

• This comparison was not well done, but the shooter said he will try again

• @RatLabProductions Totally agree. I shot two weeks ago an event with both GH4 and 5D mark 2 and the Gh4 in 4K (neutral + iDinamic auto) had more than two times the DR of 5D mark2 in RAW. I have strong doubts about the Cinema5D DR test.

• Sony A7S SLOG at 4K vs GH4 10 Bit 4K | HDMI OUT C…

The same test as above, but better done . Although not perfect! GH4 is now quite underexposed. WB is not good.