Personal View site logo
Post Production Sound Tutorial (+ a bit on location sound)
  • 63 Replies sorted by
  • @DrDave

Small addition, I think it is also not really proper place for discussion.

• Sometimes a single program contains many licenses. Most of these allow you to use the software, but not commercially. It is a personal use license.

For example? I never really saw paid sound editing applications who directly prohibits using software itself to produce commercial products.

I think you just confusing it with part describing that owner can't lend this software or otherwise make income similar ways.

By using open source software, you then are free to use the resulting video commercially.

No. Again, open source is just the way source is available to developers. License may have same or even worse restrictions. Making source available do not restrict author any other way.

• You have to read the license carefully for each and every aspect of each software program. Sometimes a single program contains many licenses. Most of these allow you to use the software, but not commercially. It is a personal use license. By using open source software, you then are free to use the resulting video commercially.

• It gets very complicated if you are using loops, samples, EQ, algorithms, convolution, impulses, NR, mixing, etc., etc.

What you mean exactly? For samples and loops included in software they have license you need to read. All else does not make sense.

Opens Source make no sense also, as it just tell that some developers can get the source.

• I guess I would add open source software to the list since if you use commercial software it does not generally speaking include a commercial license. It gets very complicated if you are using loops, samples, EQ, algorithms, convolution, impulses, NR, mixing, etc., etc.

• @spacewig Nice one! been waiting for a while for someone to explain the audio. You are right mostly people drool over glass and sensors but the audio which is most important not many touches on that.

I have noticed coursera has started a course on sound design as well https://www.coursera.org/course/digitalsounddesign. Would be complimentary to spacewig's knowledge transfer. Looks like the audio gods have been in a nice mood lately!

• Agreed. I perhaps mistakenly assume that indie filmmakers don't have budget or resources for ADR sessions.

• Good list. The one thing I don't see is the dialogue re-recording and editing. In narrative films and series there's often a dedicated dialogue editor who finds the best sounding takes for various lines and makes them work together. The dialogue editor then suggests lines for ADR/looping.

• Very cool. Thanks @spacewig

• Looking forward to it!

• Awesome. Thanks a lot for this.

• Hello all and welcome to the Post Production Sound tutorial. My goal is to expand on all 18 points of the workflow listed above keeping in mind that some of you have limited knowledge of the subject. This means that the overriding principle guiding my approach is to discuss concepts/techniques that have a PRACTICAL use and to not get involved in, or encourage tedious discussions about, the minutiae of theory or one product's merit over another. I will make every effort to remain gear/software agnostic so that whatever we cover here can be implemented on whatever gear/software the reader prefers or has access to. However, when I do upload a video to emphasize or demonstrate a point, I will necessarily have to use the tools (i.e. software/gear) I have at my disposal; in no way should this be taken as an endorsement of the tool being employed.

The 18 points of the workflow above will take time to write about and elaborate on. My aim is to update each item on the list as the core overview of the subject is written and follow up with posts containing videos/illustrations/samples to illustrate those points I think might be more readily grasped by visual demonstration. I plan to cover the subject in the order of the workflow so would ask that you refrain from asking questions about topics not yet covered as I do not want the thread to bounce back and forth and becoming a chaotic mess; it will be much easier if the conversation progresses linearly relative to the workflow.

A note about posting etiquette: Should anyone have a disagreement with any of the content of my posts, please present your opposing view and supporting arguments in a rational and civil manner; don't jump into the conversation with guns blazing. This has happened in the past and I find this behaviour unproductive and unnecessarily hostile, doing nothing to advance our collective knowledge base. I have no issues being challenged and will happily modify the wiki linked to in the OP to add important new info/methods or to rectify my errors. That being said, don't expect me to answer or address your post if it is rude or obnoxious in tone and/or spirit. The wiki link will always contain the latest updated version of the tutorial since the timeframe to edit posts in this thread is only 24 hours.

OK, let's get this ball rolling. Have fun learning, and fire away any and all questions as topics start to populate. Don't forget that I'm doing this on my spare time and simply cannot dedicate the time required to cover each section in a thorough and thoughtful manner within a short period of time. I strongly encourage those of you working in the industry or with relevant knowledge/experience to contribute to this thread to enrich its content and refine the information base with your expertise - I'm looking forward to learning myself as this tutorial evolves.

Cheers!