Personal View site logo
Sigma DP Quattro, strange camera

PR

The Sigma Corporation is pleased to announce the new generation of high image quality compact cameras “SIGMA dp” that incorporates a newly developed Foveon X3 direct image sensor (generation name: “Quattro”).

Unique and without peer among image sensors, the Foveon direct image sensor is similar to traditional color film in that its multiple layers capture all of the information that visible light transmits. Along with Sigma’s proprietary image processing technology, this sensor produces incredible resolution, precise gradation, gorgeous color, breathtaking realism with a 3D feel. In other words, full-bodied image quality.

For the new dp series, we rethought and redesigned every aspect of the camera, including the sensor, engine, lens, and body. While retaining its famous textural expression, which seems to give form to the air itself, the updated Foveon direct image sensor produces images that are more colorful, rich, deep, and faithful than ever before.

To a radical degree, the new-generation dp series embodies Sigma’s philosophy of creating cameras that produce works of art. Featuring the highest level of fundamental performance, this series unites artistic expression and daily experience as no other cameras can.

Special Features

With every element optimized for image quality, this camera is ready to produce works of art

Thanks to its optimized design featuring a fixed focal length lens and integrated body, the dp series offers both sensor and lens performance at the highest level. The result is full-bodied image quality.

In addition to superior holding performance, the camera body offers a balanced shape, layout, and weight distribution. With all of its elements designed for image quality, the dp offers highly intuitive operation. Its complete and robust specification allows the photographer to concentrate fully on photography itself and leverage the camera’s potential to produce outstanding images.

In everyday life, the dp series lets photographers find unexpected opportunities for experiencing emotion and enjoy photography and personal expression in exciting new ways. It is an outwardly simple yet extremely powerful embodiment of Sigma’s philosophy of photography.

Wide-angle, standard, and medium telephoto options

All of the fundamental photographic approaches in one lineup of three cameras

The dp series comprises three fixed focal length cameras, each of which features a different basic focal length for a different fundamental photographic approach: the wide-angle dp1 Quattro at 19mm, the standard dp2 Quattro at 30mm, and the medium telephoto dp3 Quattro at 50mm (respectively equivalent to 28mm, 45mm, and 75mm on a 35mm lens). Moreover, the three models share an exciting new camera body that brings out the best performance from the lens and image sensor.

It’s a simple but powerful lineup that delivers medium format-level image quality anywhere, anytime. Take all three with you and select as needed for the perfect shot. Only the dp series puts so much luxurious photographic potential in your hands.

The world’s only image capture system to use vertical color separation technology

Starting with our very first digital camera, we have featured the Foveon direct image sensor, which offers radically better image quality than any other sensor available. Leveraging the light absorption characteristics of silicon, the sensor comprises three layers of photodiodes, each at a different depth within the silicon and each corresponding to a different RGB color. Since it is the only sensor to use this superior vertical color separation technology, it is also the world’s only direct image sensor.

Almost all other image sensors are mosaic sensors, which use an array of RGB color filters in a single horizontal plane to capture color information. Each pixel is assigned only one of the three colors and cannot capture all three colors at once. In contrast, the Foveon direct image sensor captures color vertically, recording hue, value, and chroma accurately and completely for each pixel.

In the Foveon direct image sensor, there are no color filters, which cause a loss of information transmitted by light. Moreover, there is no low-pass filter needed to correct the interference caused by a color filter array. Finally, unlike the data from other sensors, which requires artificial interpolation to “fill in” missing colors, the data from the Foveon direct image sensor is complete for every single pixel and requires no interpolation. The unique technological principle of this sensor produces consistently outstanding image quality.

Newly developed Foveon X3 Quattro direct image sensor. Now featuring 39 megapixel-equivalent ultrahigh resolution

Capturing the information transmitted by light vertically instead of horizontally, the full-color image capture system of the Foveon direct image sensor is the only one of its kind in the world. This system makes possible the sensor’s full-bodied image quality, which is characterized by rich tone and gradation and texture that one can almost touch.

The newly developed Foveon X3 Quattro is the latest generation of this unique sensor. While retaining the distinctive characteristics of its predecessors, it offers an even higher level of image quality. In addition to 30% higher resolution, the volume of image data has become lighter, and it enables much faster image processing and lower current consumption.

At the same time, Able to maintain the same exacting standard of image quality while increasing megapixels and enhancing noise characteristics, this 1:1:4 solution was the inspiration for the name of the current generation of Foveon sensor: “Quattro.”

Newly developed TRUE III image processing engine. Optimized for processing Foveon X3 Quattro direct image sensor data.

The new dp series cameras feature the newly developed TRUE (Three-layer Responsive Ultimate Engine) III. This image processing engine has evolved in pace with our Foveon direct image sensor and incorporates all of the image processing expertise we have developed over the years. Thanks to new refinements, it is the ideal engine for processing the rich and complex image data produced by the new-generation Foveon X3 Quattro direct image sensor. Our proprietary algorithm makes possible ultrafast processing of an immense volume of image data without any deterioration of the final images. The result is high-definition, 3D-like photographs with outstandingly rich color detail.

• 76 Replies sorted by
  • Suddenly the GH4 attachment does not look so bizarre anymore... :)

• I think it has something right in design. with such design you can have very big battery.

• I agree. It's beautifully designed. Shame it probably won't do hd. With the futuristic design, they should have made a really futuristic camera . But for what it does, stills, foveon is the best.

• Sigma is pushing new concepts lately. Looking good. Just wish they would incorporate a built in vf.

• Vitaliy is right, Sigma Merrel cameras eat battery like candy, literally ! Design can manage that problem maybe by double capacity for 200 shots maybe,.

• I think it looks like a really big beer bottle opener for a really big bottle of beer, and they should sell it with the matching keg. "Only Sigma beer captures the depth and flavour for the new senses--optimised for direct chugging". Maybe call it "Brewskeon".

• Kudos to Sigma for trying new approaches =)

Very interesting idea of getting right hand separated from viewer and lens operations. + 1 for ext viewfinder.
    From ergonomics POV seems a mixed bag. Really like the back protrusion module in right side, the focus button seems in perfect place, not sure about the thing that surrounds it (why not a wheel, faster than reaching the top), the strap holder location or the dial around shutter.

Why, just why they don't make shutter and front/back wheels in angle (around 30 º)?!!! Nikon got it almost right in new models... Though if you asked me, front wheel should lean in the opposite direction, just at the fold of the grip. Yeah it's 2014, so maybe it's also time to embrace some of the organicism in curved shapes/forms and go "wild" in the arrangement of controls, i.e. not in straight tight-ass lines. The rain has stopped

• Hmm. So far I haven't read about the two fundamental issues of the Foveon sensors to have been resolved: Their excessive power consumption and their poor color separation. Even the bigger grip is not yet big enough to host the nuclear power plant you'll want to have with that camera.

• the wide-angle dp1 Quattro at 19mm, the standard dp2 Quattro at 30mm, and the medium telephoto dp3 Quattro at 50mm (respectively equivalent to 28mm, 45mm, and 75mm on a 35mm lens).

I find that if you've got a fixed lens, it's more useful if it's wide. I adore my DP1.

I won't get the new DP1 just yet, but almost certainly will once I've checked it out.

• That index finger and hand position; ummm... I think I'll take back my previous purely speculative comment on ergonomics and go with an even more speculative far-reached one: the source of Sigma guys' inspiration; code name Dachshund

Unfortunately, the execution of how the camera was designed is a bit odd. There surely is a grip on the camera–but it seems to go more into the palm of my hand than having my fingers curve around it to snugly hold it in place. In fact, the design seems to mimic the look of a phone more than anything; and if Sigma decided to put a microphone into the grip then it could be a more viable option.

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2014/03/11/first-impressions-sigma-dp-quattro/

oil13.jpg
    672 x 422 - 43K
  • Will be available in early August.

Suggested retail price will be $999.

• IQ for stills looks very good.