Personal View site logo
Relevance of Gh2 for pro work with intro of gh3 and now GH4
  • I got into dslr work a little late in the game. I have just figured out how to shoot properly with my gh2 and now the 4 is out lol. Anyway I have been using the cake 2.3 hack and getting average bit rates of 29 thousand. I tried flow motion but even with extreme 95 64bit cards the cam shuts off periodically. My two questions are in your opinion how relevant is the gh2 nowadays, and what hack would you recommend that has alittle more punch than cake but not as much as flowmotion. Any opinions greatly appreciated thank you

• 12 Replies sorted by
  • @howardst I use Intavenus v2 hack setting with Sandisk 64GB 95Mbps and never had the cam shutoff. It often comes in at 80-100 Mbps bitrate. In terms of relevance I like the GH2 more than GH3 and GH4 in terms of the image. I've seen good work from GH3 users, and I'm sure we'll see good work from GH4 and other 4K cams. I think you can do great work with GH2, and the price is great if you need 2nd and 3rd cams for projects.

• thank you. would u be kind enough to send me a link to that patch? my email is videoweddings@live.com. id really appreciate it. i seem to struggle finding the actual hack on this site. thanx again

• @howardst Here's the link, once you click this scroll down to "Apocalypse Now 'Intravenus' v2 With cbrandin 'Smooth Cinema' Matrix" for the patch setting http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/4828/driftwood-experimental-series-2-low-rider-cluster-v8-v9-intravenus-ii-gh3onagh2-an-boom/p1

Also here is the link to the hack settings "vault" that has a lot of the links to the various hack settings: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/953/gh2-settings-vault-most-popular-settings-in-one-place-quite-old/p2

Have fun

• The GH2 is now my b-cam, but in decent light still produces a fantastic image. But the GH4 produces the equivalent detail, and (so far) I haven't been bitten by any moire or aliasing issues. I've been using them both for filming interviews and they cut together perfectly. The biggest thing for me though, is the lack of FPN compared to the GH2 - at last it's a camera I can trust.

You'll notice to your right a column of topics, and one called hacks and patches - you'll find what you need in there. I use flow motion 2.2 with a Sandisk 95mbs card and have never had the camera lock up.

• matt. your a good person thank you very much

• not to beat a dead horse matt but i assume spanning is out with that patch right?

• @howardst I've had no problem spanning with Intravenus 2. I think the longest clip I did was 20-25 minutes and it broke it up into clips of 3.99 GB in file size. I would definitely test spanning just to be safe. BTW I always use 24P, so test with your camers settings. I selected Intravenus 2 because it has what I see as a classic film look (~80s film look). I always use Sandisk 64GB 95Mbps SD card.

• Totally agree. I prefer the kind of image coming from the GH2, though it is limited compared to GH3 and GH4. But I love the way it reproduces colors. GH3 (and also GH4 from what I have seen) tends to give more of a color reversal effect. Just my personal view of course

• i shoot in 720p and with flowmotion 2.3 i had issues on three different fast cards. i hope apoclopyses works and spans im gonna load it but i think the framerate.will cause crashes. 24p worked fine with flowmotion. we will see.

• Having done a shoot last week (lights, costumes, make-up, music) I can attest to the hacked GH2 as an ongoing cult camera, first prize. I'm about to get my second GH2 so as to fit a second prime lens and make better use of of the talents' time.

For me, as a street portable, the GH2's size clinches the deal: in terms of bang-for-your-cubic-inch, the hacked GH2 can't be beat.

• do you think it will span in 720? wish i could film in 24p but i do alot of slo mo

• im using flowmotion 2.02. my average bit rate is 38 thousand. i use vegas 12 to edit and render. im wondering if i should be changing the default mp4 hdv file bit rate from the 17 thousand to a cbr of 38 thousand. any thoughts?