• Depth from defocus AF
    • 2.36 million dot-inch OLED EVF
    • 3" 920k screen
    • 12fps
    • Dual-axis electronic level
    • Time-lapse video creation •*Stop motion animation
    • Wi-Fi, NFC
    • Focus peaking
    • Available for $799 at https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-FZ1000-Camera-Megapixel-F2-8-4-0/dp/B00KOUIBZW/

Previews and samples

• 297 Replies sorted by
  • PR

Panasonic announced today the new LUMIX DMC-FZ1000 (FZ1000) -- the world’s first digital compact camera to offer 4K video recording capability*. The FZ1000 boasts a one-inch, High Sensitivity MOS Sensor and 4K video recording capability. The latest member of the popular LUMIX FZ series, the FZ1000 will be available at www.shop.panasonic.com and select channel partners in late July with an MSRP of $899.99.

The integration of a newly developed LEICA DC VARIO-ELMARIT 16x optical zoom lens achieves high resolution edge to edge. It also produces stunningly beautiful defocus together with the large-sized MOS Sensor.

The 1-inch large 20.1-megapixel High Sensitivity MOS Sensor dramatically improves S/N (signal to noise) ratio, making it possible to capture a clear image with minimum noise even when it is shot at a high ISO. The Venus Engine is also newly developed to feature multiple noise reduction systems such as Multi Process NR, Random Filter and Aperture Filter, to achieve high color reproduction and high image quality with a natural look.

The FZ1000 incorporates 4K (QFHD 4K: 3840x2160, up to 30 fps in MP4) video recording capability for the first time with a digital compact camera*1. Panasonic is also proposing a new solution to capture 3840x2160 8-megapixel equivalent images from the 4K video footage which is normally difficult to photograph. Also, videos can be recorded in full-HD 1,920 x 1,080 60p in AVCHD Progressive (MPEG-4 / H.264) format or MP4 at 60p. A powerful 16x optical zoom with 5-step speed control enables smooth zoom adjustment even while video recording. The 5-axis HYBRID O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer)+ with Active Mode effectively compensates for vibration. Creative Video mode, High Speed video in full-HD at 120fps, Time Lapse Shot and Stop Motion Animation are all available for a variety of video effects..

The FZ1000 also features DFD (Depth From Defocus) technology, for its focusing accuracy and improved Light Speed AF of approx. 0.09 sec*2. Together with the quick start-up time of approx.0.66 sec, the DMC-FZ1000 never misses a shooting opportunity. High speed burst shooting can be shot at 12 fps in 20.1-megapixel full resolution. It also offers a max.1/4,000 (mechanical) and 1/16,000 (electronic) shutter speed.

The FZ1000 boasts a high-precision, high-speed OLED (Organic Light-Emitting Diode) LVF (Live View Finder). With 0.39-inch 2,359k-dot high resolution in 4:3 aspect ratio, the new LVF boasts approx.1.88x / 0.7x (35mm camera equiv.) magnification and 100% field of view. The 3.0-inch 921k-dot free-angle LCD with its wide-viewing angle rotates 180° to the side and tilts 270° up and down. Operability is also improved with a newly added zoom lever, zoom ring and drive mode dial for more intuitive operation. For more creative freedom, Creative Control, Creative Panorama and Photo Style are available.

The FZ1000 integrates Wi-Fi® connectivity (IEEE 802.11 b/g/n) with NFC (Near Field Communication) to offer a more flexible shooting experience and instant image sharing with a simple operation. The FZ1000 also comes with a 3.5mm jack for an external microphone connection. In addition, RAW data can be processed in camera

Bright Leica DC Lens 25-400mm F2.8-4.0
    Panasonic newly developed LEICA DC VARIO-ELMARIT lens system (F2.8-F4.0) with 16x optical zoom (35mm camera equivalent: 25-400mm). Comprised of 15 elements in 11 groups, including 4 ED lenses and 5 aspherical lenses with 8 aspherical surfaces, this advanced lens unit achieves high MTF value.

Large 1-inch 20.1MP MOS Sensor for Amazing Defocus Control
    The DMC-FZ1000 incorporates a 1-inch large High Sensitivity MOS Sensor with 20.1-megapixel high resolution. The new 1-inch sensor is 4x larger than conventional 1/2.3-inch sensor in size. This new large MOS Sensor improves S/N ratio, resulting in dramatic reduction of noise even when shooting at ISO 12,800.

The Venus Engine image processor was developed for the DMC-FZ1000 to dramatically boost its performance with a new quad-core CPU providing high speed signal processing required for rich 4K video recording . The advanced Multi-process NR (Noise Reduction) applies effective noise reduction and detail processing according to each component frequency. Plus, newly added Random Filter granulates chromatic noise to be blended into the image even more naturally.

The World’s First Digital Compact Camera Recording High Quality Video in 4K
    The LUMIX FZ1000 is not only for capturing still images but also high quality video in 4K. It features outstanding 4K video recording capability (QFHD 4K: 3840x2160, up to 30 fps (NTSC) / in MP4 ( up to 29 minutes 59second). Users can enjoy recording video in ultra high definition and even grab an 8-megapixel frame as still image. After recording video in 4K, users can cut out a single frame to choose the best still image in rich resolution of 3840 x 2160 pixels. The FZ1000 should be used with UHS Speed Class 3 (U3). The UHS Speed Class 3 (U3) guarantees a constant minimum write speed of 30MB/s to respond to market needs for 4K video.

Super-fast LUMIX DFD Focusing Technology
    For even faster response and higher mobility, the FZ1000 newly integrates a dedicated motor into the focus system to achieve extremely fast focusing. In addition, the Light Speed AF is further enhanced with an adoption of DFD (Depth From Defocus) technology which even shortens the time to set focus. It calculates the distance to the subject by evaluating 2 images with different sharpness level while consulting the data of optical characteristics of the current lens in a moment. As a result, the DMC-FZ1000 achieves ultra high speed AF of approx.0.09 sec2 at wide end and even approx. 0.17 sec at tele-end.3 Together with the quick start-up of approx.0.66 sec and short release time lag, the DMC-FZ1000 never lets photographers miss fleeting shooting opportunities.

Integrated Smartphone/Tablet Wi-Fi® for Remote Imaging Control
    The FZ1000 integrates Wi-Fi® connectivity (IEEE 802.11 b/g/n) with NFC (Near Field Communication) technology camera to offer more flexible shooting experience and instant image sharing. With the Panasonic "Image App", remote shooting of both stills and video is possible by using the smartphone/tablet for a remote shutter with a monitor. You can release the shutter, zoom, focus and set shutter speed, aperture, exposure compensation with a smartphone / tablet.

3cm Macro Shooting
    Stunning macro shots can be shot with minimum focusing distance of 3cm.

Highlight/Shadow Control
    The Live View function is also advanced digitally making it possible to adjust highlight / shadow separately with the front/rear dial. 3 patterns of settings can be customized in addition to 3 patterns of preset.

• Also this came be directly related to 1" sensor used :

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/10572/on-semiconductor-buys-aptina#Item_2

As Aptina is known for fast 1" sensors.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Would be great, but Panasonic generally don't use 3rd party sensor in their cameras, isn't? (only GH3 comes to mind).

It could be a new NMOS sensor - a shrinked version of the GX7 / GM1 / GH4(?) sensor.

• In fact, from the sensors listed in the Aptina's website, the highest resolution 1'' sensor is 14mp.

http://www.aptina.com/products/image_sensors/ar1411hs/

It have all the right specs, but it would be a very brave move from Panasonic to release a 14mp camera to fight the 20mp RX10 - I would love to see that happen, but I doubt that the marketing division allow it...

• @MarcioK

Most probably they use Sony sensor, but who knows :-)

• The question is....will pany announce both cameras at the same time ? This is really making things interesting. Is it the holy grail ? Probably not....but sure getting close ! Btw...the image looks real.

• A great camcorder replacement.

• Camera is announced. Check for updates (first post will be also updated).

• FZ1000 4K sample

• "A powerful 16x optical zoom with 5-step speed control enables smooth zoom adjustment even while video recording. The 5-axis HYBRID O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer)+ with Active Mode effectively compensates for vibration."

two issues owners of the RX10 have complained about...slow non-variable zoom speed & mediocre OIS

dpreview has a very good detailed initial impressions review out.

• Japanese info page - http://panasonic.co.jp/corp/news/official.data/data.dir/2014/06/jn140612-1/jn140612-1.html

Video modes

• AVCHD

• 1920×1080(FHD/60p:28Mbps)
      • 1920×1080(FHD/60i:17Mbps)
      • 1920×1080(FHD/30p:24Mbps)
      • 1920×1080(FHD/24p:24Mbps)
    • MP4

• 3840×2160(4K/30p:100Mbps)
      • 1920×1080(FHD/60p:28Mbps)
      • 1920×1080(FHD/30p:20Mbps)
  • The FZ1000, as per the headline of this article, isn't just another superzoom. Even given the generational improvements in the class, the FZ1000 is a genuine leap forward. The FZ1000 improves on the traditional strengths of superzoom cameras while greatly mitigating the usual weaknesses. The first and most obvious sign that the FZ1000 is a little bit unusual is its 1-inch type sensor. Although not as large as the APS-C sensors in most DSLRs, 1 inch is a considerable improvement on the 1/2.3in and 1/1.8in sensors in conventional compact cameras. Certainly, my initial impressions of the FZ1000's image quality are very positive indeed and it's great to be able to say that about a camera in this class. I don't feel like I'd be making serious compromises on image quality if I picked up the FZ1000.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/4245510255/panasonic-fz1000-not-just-another-superzoom

• I was loving it until I saw no 4k at 24p or IS at 4k. Still. A damn cool camera.

• Lack of 24p is the killer for me. I love my LX7, but it is really just a stills cam for me on shoots (great behind the scenes cam). I used it here and there, but to be truly valuable, it would need 24p. Of course, 30p is good for TV guys, I suppose, but I pretty much shoot 24.

• I guess (will have to wait for proper reviews) that the hybrid 5-axis is not enabled in 4K; probably there is a 3-axis optical stabilizer in the lens and the x and y axis are stabilized electronically, by some cropping. Since in the 1080p mode (depending how the sensor is sampled) there is more room for cropping, probably this is the reason.

No 24p in 4k was a shame, really. But the price is VERY right; will wait for the reviews, but I guess that I will have one for some situations that it will fit very right.

• All I can say is.....WOW ! When driftwood put up the thread about asking the pany designers anything , I asked them about the followup to the g series and the fz. Looks like they already had the camera of my dreams coming...on steroids. And I'm amazed with the price. I've got to look at the specs more closely. Lack of 24p was obvious considering the line. Personally I love 30p. It's got 1080/120 . Do time lapse and stop motion shoot in 4k ? That would be an artist dream ! The downsampled 4k will probably be beautiful hd, and to boot, it shoots 8mp photos at 30fps ! The future has arrived and as usual , panasonic brought it here first. My only wish would have been that it shot 50Mbps 1080. But if the downrezzed 4k is real 1080 lines of resolution, then that will be enough. Now to look at the material.

correction...it's got 24p in 1080