Personal View site logo
GH4 with an external recorder vs Blackmagic for greenscreen?
  • 30 Replies sorted by
  • Vitliy You know RAW is better for VFX and green screen YES its heavier but its better.

• 2k raw över 4k h264 any day of the week.

Do you have any actual tests?

• Thank you very much for both your replies and advice. I am a total noob as far as green screen goes. I haven't bought a GH4 yet I just wondered how good it would be for greenscreen. I was under the impression that an external recorder might mean it could output at a higher bit rate that would enable better keying (probably totally misunderstood that bit). If i just wanted the camera for greenscreen I guess the blackmagic option would be best but I need something a little more multi-purpose.

• Nothing beats raw in VFX. 2k raw över 4k h264 any day of the week. 4:2:0 can really ruin green screen material, no matter how good it is. But if you plan on mastering in 2k/FullHD, I say go with the native 4k in camera unless you got the Shogun that can actually record the 4K externally, other recorders so far is 1080p only.

I don't know how much you know about shooting with green screen, but as usual: Keep the screen smooth, no wrinkles. Even lighting and keep your subject away from the green screen so you don't get any spill.

In after effects I have found the primatte tools he best. CC also have few new tools compared to CS6 like an alpha cleaner and a better version of the refine edge tool. With compressed sources I usually split it upp to do different keying on different parts of the subject. Hair is one, the body is the other and combine the two layers for best key.

• For green screen resolution is very important. So, you better key in 4K and later downscale for delivery.

Why you need external recorder?