Personal View site logo
GH2 Maximum Variation Experiment
  • 60 Replies sorted by
  • Interesting stuff. In fact, it immediately makes me want to try it out, but I have a 48 Hour Film contest this weekend and the last thing I want to do is full in love with settings that might not be stable!
  • Ok downloaded, i will make a couple of test with my new Leica 45mm Macro.
  • @cbrandin Yep, many thanks. I follow the logic of this and it should give us the best of all worlds. Been shooting with it on AQ3 for the last 3 hours or more and all seems stable. Its difficult to tell the improvements it gives, but following the logic I used a really shallow DOF on my kid eating (lots of motion there, she's 6 months and weaning). I figure that it would be using a lower QP on the background which would free up more bandwidth to be used for the foreground and motion. Average bitrate was only about 44M, which I guess is a good thing as the previous patch would probably have created identical results at AQ3 but would have run at a much higher average (is this correct ?). It looks very good but it's not a scientific test.
    Shooting heavy motion and detail (trees in a strong wind) I cannot see a difference in the quality of the motion rendering with this patch at either AQ2 or AQ3 (will try AQ4 later). Both AQ2 and AQ3 produced nigh on identical average bitrates, which I guess points to the fact it probably settled on similar values for both shots (as the detail is so high). All good stuff so far.

Do you know what would be the QP range running this at AQ3 ?
  • that's inspiring development in a new scientific direction, look forward to test it, thank you @cbrandin
  • @driftwood

Nope - the other way around - sort of. I'm setting the FB1 settings to their factory defaults, which allows for higher QP values to be tried. The FB2 settings are set close to what they are automatically set to when you set bitrate - which determines the lowest QP (highest quality) settings. It's more work for the CPU, but I think it's up to it. Basically, with 66M settings, it allows macroblock QP values to be in the range of 13-26 instead of 13-17, or there abouts. That's for 24H settings, others are proportionally higher.

Chris
  • @cbrandin You're not touching FB1s then? Lifting the FB2s for more QP movement?
  • @cbrandin Looks interesting. Let's see what Chris has been up to...!
  • Thanks Chris, looking foward to checking this out.
  • The AQ parameters are currently set to AQ2. It might be worth testing AQ4 to see if that works well.

Chris
  • I'll put this to work in my GH2 and see what transpires....I'll post when I have feedback, thank you.
    Should I be adjusting parameters or use as you've posted?