Personal View site logo
Teclast 8.9" tablet with 2560×1600 screen
  • 43 Replies sorted by
  • (I haven't found any shot yet that shows the subpixels - the damn thing is just too high-res, and no closeups.)

I need this for demoing high-end content on the move, so the movies need to be on-board or on USB storage.

I have the Gadmei E8-3D, a Chinese tablet with switchable 3D parallax barrier (same as your device VK, very narrow sweet spot). Awful 1280x800 TN panel with bad viewing angles (each eye sees a different brightness!), low blue gamma that can't be corrected (colours are cold and pale) etc.

The narrow sweet spot of 3D barrier technology panels is a problem, but I can accept it on a good quality display. Eye-tracking could correct the sweet spot issue (for 1 viewer), but nobody is doing it yet on portable devices.

• The narrow sweet spot of 3D barrier technology panels is a problem, but I can accept it on a good quality display. Eye-tracking could correct the sweet spot issue (for 1 viewer), but nobody is doing it yet on portable devices

May be make instead polarizing ala LG? And passive glasses?

I also thing that you can research into making active 3D player without any screen mods, as modern active glasses are driven by bluetooth.

• I have an LG passive monitor (I edit my 3D videos on it). Yes they work better, but the FPR (polarizing film) needs to be built into the screen, you can't retro-fit one. I haven't heard of any tablets with them.

Active glasses require a 120Hz or better panel, and I still don't like the flicker. Plus bulky glasses, batteries that run out etc. Glasses-free makes more sense on a tablet. With eye-tracking (done right), it could be v. good.

• @_gl

OK. But I still do not get why you can't use wireless storage, for demos you do not need 100-200Mbit videos. And under 50Mbit it works fine.

Check https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aromamedia.eassee3d

Also check their site, they seems to make overlays for retina iPads.

• You mean like a WiFi or Bluetooth hard disk? I hadn't thought of that, that could work. All that is extra expense, more batteries to worry about and more to carry though, when your Chinese tab could just use memory cards or USB storage (I assume it has USB OTG?). 3G isn't an option here in the UK (speeds are too unreliable).

Yep, there's a few 3D overlay makers, and they all have various downsides and/or don't support the devices I'm interested in. Long story for another thread.

• All that is extra expense and more to carry though, when your Chinese tab could just use memory cards or USB storage (I assume it has USB OTG?). 3G isn't an option here in the UK (speeds are too unreliable).

Just get fast Wi-Fi 2.5" HDD (or enclosure) with battery. In fact it must be faster to work.

Yep, there's a few 3D overlay makers, and they all have various downsides and/or don't support the devices I'm interested in. Long story for another thread.

What is wrong with iPad? Retina ones have good screens.

• Btw, one of HDX advantages is that it seems to be able to play H.265 videos, and may be even 4K in the future, as it has powerful CPU/GPU.

Rockchip 3288 also much have something for H.265 as I remember.

• iPad? Cost, and not very flexible (no memory cards, no file access, limited file type support, no side-loading without jailbreaking, often can't jailbreak newest updates etc). And for 3D viewing you need a good 3D stills/movie player app that can encode the image correctly (most aren't good).

The overlays also corrupt the 2D image, so you have to keep removing it. Annoying as they also require careful alignment. A cheap tablet can be used as a permanent 3D viewer more easily.

H.265 support would be very interesting (smaller files too!).

• Btw, if you read books you can get http://www.amazon.com/Certified-Refurbished-Kindle-Fire/dp/B00AFKC4EK/

It is their first gen tablet with good contrasty screen and deep blacks, for reading book resolution does not matter much. And cases for it are best from that I have.

• Talking about the biggest storage for devices with a microSD slot, check this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/191059502130?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I got one, and it works with whatever card you throw in it. If you card takes 64gb cards, it'll take bigger.

Cheers!

• I forgot about tablets for a while, and then looked around again. Teclast have just announced the Windows 8.1 version of this tablet, the X90HD (same resolution): http://www.aliexpress.com/premium/x90hd.html?ltype=wholesale&SearchText=x90hd

Supposed to be available in approx 3 weeks, I've pre-ordered one (edit: nope, turns out they got them today).

Windows makes MUCH more sense to me, full hardware/driver support, any software you care to throw at it (including my own), any codec, IE etc. Sure it's a low-powered tablet with small screen so it's a compromise, but much more flexible than Android. I've never liked Android, it's OK on a phone but SO limited for a Windows power-user like me.

• Don't you think it'll be all very tiny? As Windows still has scaling issues.

• Nah it'll be fine :). Bit of tweaking and some compromising with non-DPI aware UIs (I already have that on my desktop monitor with the same res). Sure some desktop apps will be a pain to use, stylus is probably best for small dialogs, but I don't expect a full-blown laptop replacement.

Other reason to buy it was to download Pocket footage to a USB hard disk when I'm travelling. I know Android can do this, but you need special apps etc. So much easier on Windows.

BTW just got an email that they have got them in stock today.

• If screen is same as on my Kindle HDX it is very good screen.

• I hope so, I'll post a quick review when I get it.

• Tell this guys make it thick and have big battery and 4 full size USB ports, and add Wacom stylus. I'll get one in this case.

• That's called a laptop ; ). I use Wacom tablets on my desktop for everything (mouse only for games)

• That's called a laptop

No, it is called proper tablet :-) One that has all I need and works for long time with high load.