Personal View site logo
Teclast 8.9" tablet with 2560×1600 screen

• 8.9" IPS at 2560×1600
    • 1.8GHz Rockchip 3288, quad core A17
    • 2GBs RAM
    • 16GBs storage (with microSD upgrade option)
    • 2MP front and 8MP back cameras
    • around $250

Presales start in June.

• 43 Replies sorted by
  • So would this be faster than my 3 year old Galaxy Tab 10.1? At $250 that's quite a bargain, I think.

• Also, newb question here. I wish I had 100% control over my operating system on my Galaxy Tab. Is it even possible to buy a tablet these days where I can install/uninstall exactly what I want and where I want?

• @ragnar

It seems like it uses screen ala Kindle HDX. As for faster - faster in tablets now is mostly for games :-)

Is it even possible to buy a tablet these days where I can install/uninstall exactly what I want and where I want?

On most good tablets you can make root and do more things, of course you can uninstall things. Also many custom firmwares exist usually.

• OK, very cool. Thanks. I found a place that will update my Galaxy Tab 10.1 to Jelly Bean 4.1.2 with Slim Bean Custom ROM. I might start there and see how it goes. I really hate not being able to uninstall what I want. Hope it works.

• Interesting, thanks VK. I'm considering this as a dedicated viewer/player. Res (higher is better) and IPS are good, next question is what the colour quality is like.

• Res (higher is better) and IPS are good, next question is what the colour quality is like.

Must be good, according to tests Kindle HDX screen is best screen of top tablets.

• This seems to be a Chinese site where you can pre-order: http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a220m.1000858.1000725.1.pwHUIm&id=39220895272&cat_id=2&rn=57d971571645160b8da43346641a1f94&user_id=862591116&is_b=1

Google seems unable to translate it (China still blocking them?) ...

• Sounds promising VK. Anyone heard of any (affordable) Chinese 4k tablets yet?

• Anyone heard of any (affordable) Chinese 4k tablets yet?

4K tablets do not exist, just because no one make small 4K panels yet (as real products) :-) Plus I have high doubts that you'll be able to tell the difference (except that it'll work from battery for much smaller time).

• Just superb. Want one.

• VK, at this screen size I agree. But 4K will be useful on a larger tablets eg. for high-res artwork, even if you have to get closer to see all the detail.

I actually want to modify a high-res tablet like this one for 3D viewing (with a custom parallax barrier overlay) - this halves the horizontal pixel count for each stereo view, so the resolution is useful.

• But 4K will be useful on a larger tablets eg. for high-res artwork, even if you have to get closer to see all the detail.

I am even ok with FullHD on 18" tablet (Dell XPS). :-)

I actually want to modify a high-res tablet like this one for 3D viewing (with a custom parallax barrier overlay) - this halves the horizontal pixel count for each stereo view, so the resolution is useful.

Huh. It is hard.

• That's one big-ass tablet VK : ).

• That's one big-ass tablet VK : ).

Yep, but it is good. With very good large screen.

If you spend time it is usually possible to get it with good discount.

• Panasonic makes a 20" tablet with a 4K screen.

http://www.panasonic.com/business/toughpad/us/4k-tablet.asp

• Yes, v. nice - and ~$5k US: http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/UT-MB5025SEM

Where's the cheap Chinese version? : ). Might see one in 1-2 years.

• Has anybody seen a similar Chinese ~2.5k tablet like above, but with a larger screen, say 11" or higher?

• @_gl

Just remember that 8.9" panel is much better

The Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 and Apple iPad Air are both even more impressive on another performance level because in addition they deliver top notch picture quality, absolute color accuracy, and accurate image contrast that is not only much better than any other Tablet, they are also much better than most HDTVs, laptops, and monitors. In fact, with some minor calibration tweaks they both would qualify as studio reference monitors

http://www.displaymate.com/Tablet_ShootOut_3.htm

• Yeah, I know about the Nexus 10 and the colour rendering is pretty bad. I also don't like the rounded shape. With yours VK I don't like the white case (black works much better for media). But the specs are good, might grab one.

• @_gl

I suggest to check Kindle HDX also, just spend some time and get used or refurbished. Will be faster plus you will be absolutely sure about calibration and screen (Kindle say that they make special calibration to get such accuracy) . Teclast wait can last for long time.

Here is cheap

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazon-Kindle-Fire-HDX-16GB-8-9-Tablet-WiFi-only-FACTORY-SEALED-/321418938231?pt=US_Tablets&hash=item4ad60fc777

• Thanks VK, I wasn't aware of this one but I'll check it out carefully.

I've long said that mass market displays need to be factory colour-calibrated, so that people can trust colour accuracy, especially when shopping. I had not heard that Amazon are doing that now, but it makes perfect sense for them. After that we need mainstream wide-gamut.

• I've long said that mass market displays need to be factory colour-calibrated, so that people can trust colour accuracy, especially when shopping. I had not heard that Amazon are doing that now, but it makes perfect sense for them. After that we need mainstream wide-gamut.

Just look around, as I said, Air and HDX are very accurate and good. XPS 18 is also very good.

It all depends of manufacturer. In fact, good and properly calibrated display is not very bug seller for casual user, and it usually lead to shorter battery life. So, it is usually present with brand tablets were they invest max into best battery and best power management.

• The catch with the Amazon tablet: no memory card slot, and no USB OTG support (for USB storage devices). Well, someone said that you can root & patch the firmware for it (unconfirmed).

I want to store a ton of high-quality 1080p H.264 videos, and 64GB is pretty limiting for that (I've been using a 128GB USB stick with my Gadmei E8-3D tablet and even that's full). On the plus side, Amazon support/warranty, good specs + all their other good stuff ...

The other important thing for my 3D application is the RGB sub-pixel layout. They need to be vertically stacked (in landscape mode). Does anyone here have a Kinde HDX 8.9?

• I want to store a ton of high-quality 1080p H.264 videos, and 64GB is pretty limiting for that (I've been using a 128GB USB stick with my Gadmei E8-3D tablet and even that's full).

How much high quality? You can check things like http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CSFCYFY/ or http://www.sandisk.com/products/wireless/flash-drive/
    Wi-Fi must be pretty good with good router as it is 2x2 MIMO on Kindle.

Also, why you are storing high quality things for tablet? May be just make small batch conversion? H.264 encoders are quite fast now.

The other important thing for my 3D application is the RGB sub-pixel layout. They need to be vertically stacked (in landscape mode). Does anyone here have a Kinde HDX 8.9?

Just search for reviews, some have macro shots. I think it uses same layout as in IPS panels without any extra white pixels and such.

As for 3D, I have 1280x800 photo frame that can also play side by side videos. Not very impressive thing (due to very narrow spot and not impressive panel).