Personal View site logo
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, User reviews and opinions
  • 1273 Replies sorted by
  • @joe1946 That is amazing, my wife's gonna be pissed when I come home with a telescope tomorrow ;)

• Just did a quick test shot this evening with a Kit Lens from GX7, the Pany 14-42 and a 45-200. Not that expensive lenses, but the quality from this camera is outstanding even with Kit lenses outdoors. Love my GH4.

• got my gh4 but for some reason can not get it to film at c4k can any one tell me how to get it to shoot in that mode

• @jaycass you need to select 24Hz in the system frequency settings found on page 5/6 in the setup menu :)

• @matthere thanks just did that and it worked :)

• The compression is so bad. I'll try to upload a better version. All Available light. Cine D.

• So.. who's making the report to Panasonic about the audio bug?

• Some thought from playing around a bit this week and last:

• Focus peaking is very very good. I use manual lenses so it makes things easier. I prefer the low setting as it picks up more edges.
    • I'm still learning to get the hang of using zebras. I think I prefer keeping them at 100% and then adjust exposure as needed.
    • I really like the monochrome live view, it especially complements focus peaking very well.
    • I tried Mercalli v3 to stabilize 4k clips and am amazed at how well it works to get rid of microshakes and jitter. I was filming a concert using Voigtlander 42.5 handheld and after stabilization it looked rock steady. There is a bug in the software however... it compresses 0-255 mov into 16-235 colorspace.
    • very glad that shutter angle can be saved into a custom preset, no more frantic shutter changes when going from photo to video.
    • I'm not a fan of using a VF but GH4>>GH3. LCD is also clearly improved.
    • Sharpness when viewing 4k on a 1080 monitor is incredible.
    • No problems using Transcend 64gb UHS-1 class 3
  • Screen capture from the 4K moon video taken with the GH4

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2939/14134515692_c6936b71fa_o.jpg

• Flycam Nano + GH4. Coming from the GH2, I'm absolutely in LOVE with the GH4.

• First quick test with my Lomo anamorphic prime lenses. Cinelike D. 4k UHD down to 1080p.

4K grabs: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjXmoFMh

• @x_worpig_x What are you settings on the video you posted at 11:50am?

• @T1000 Settings were: Shot with 20mm fd 2.8 at f4, 4k 24.00p, iso 640(i think), Cine D, -5 -3 -3 -5 0, shadow +2, highlights -2, 180* shutter angle. Graded in Premiere with Film convert + 3 way color.

• I''ve seen a lot of 4K, and it looks great. How does 1080P look?

• Am I right in assuming that when I shoot longer videos the files will be saved in 4GB chunks on the memory card? Also I could not find any functions in the software that came with the camera to merge the 4GB files.

• @curtisMack in my opinion 1080p looks quite similar to GH3, except of course if you use the new profiles.

• @AdamT does the extra mbps make a difference in 1080p MOV mode with the GH4 vs GH3?

• @azza_act If the extra mbs makes a difference it's awfully subtle. All-I is definitely better with the GH4 but IMO it's still not as good as 100mbs IPB.

Bottom line is that what DOES make a big difference is shooting 4K and downscaling it to 1080p.

• Here's a gross hack for anyone wanting to batch-tweak their RAW stills so that Adobe products will read them. As @joesiv mentioned back on April 24th, doing this won't include any camera-specific optimizations Adobe may come up with when they start supporting the GH4. So it's best to hack a copy of your originals and re-import when the official stuff comes out.

So here's the hack: in a *nix command line (Terminal.app on Mac):

cd theFolderYourCopiedRW2sAreIn
    for x in * ;do echo -ne \x33 | dd conv=notrunc bs=1 count=1 oseek=890 of=$x; done

Anyone want to suggest a more user-friendly way?

• The slowmo 96fps looks better than 720p.

• Not much! I am really not impressed with the quality of the 96fps!

I am going to get the gh4 regardless because it is absolutely amazing besides that!

• I think it's quite a bit better. Comparatively to the clean 60p it's no match, but it's not too bad. Is it worth the extra 36p? I think so in some cases. Nice to have options. No it's not an FS700/Red, so I'll let it off this time :).