Personal View site logo
GH3 Best Video Settings
  • 814 Replies sorted by
  • @Draksider ...

Most welcome. We learn from each other around here ... very helpful all in all. :)

Neil

• @Vesku @rNeil

Thanks for answering me ! You are right, noise is much better in .mov ! Vesku, could you say me how i can change this "normal player settings" ? It looks weird for me to need to edit the player, for having the "real" camera results...

• Made my own music video to showcase one of my songs. It's electronic music aka melodic dubstep. Anyhow... made this with my GH2 and GH3. All details in the description. If you like the music better alone its available online on the major streaming sites. Enjoy.

• @Draksider

GH3 mov uses luminance levels 0-255 like new GH4 (adjustable). GH3 AVCHD uses normal rec709 luminance levels 16-235. If you play GH3 mov with normal settings in player you loose 16 levels in blacks and 20 levels in whites and video looks too contrasty.

GH3 mov is better codec than AVCHD. It has more information and much less artefacts in motion. Audio is too superior in mov. It is more easy to use (recording starts faster, simpler files, better numbering...)

• @Draksider

A lot of the folks around here use the mov over the AVCHD, for noise reasons ... less with mov. And after first trying out everything at -5, the consensus has been more contrast -4 to -2, sharpness -5 to -3, saturation around -2, noise at -5.

This is using either "standard" or "neutral" profiles most often. DO get a nailed WB in-cam, and of course dead-on exposures. You don't have the latitude to get either wrong and get the best end-result.

Done right, over all it's a pretty nice rig.

• Hi erveryone ! I got a gh3 a few months ago, and i already shot a short film with it in january with the AVCHD codec... Since a few days, i'm planning to work with .mov settings, but it looks like .mov is flatless than avchd... Is it normal ? I used erything at -5 with natural settings at iso 200

AVCHD = http://puu.sh/8v9Jc.jpg MOV = http://puu.sh/8v9Pf.jpg (50Mpbs)

It's quiet embarrassing for color correction if i can't get some better "flat-look"... Does someone have any tips ?

Sorry for my bad english, i don't practice it a lot... I hope that I can make myself understood ! :)

• Hello all. Just wanted to say thank you for your input, comments and advise since I started this thread a year ago last May.

I Sold my GH3 to be able to purchase the GH4 and made the purchase on line Friday. Hopefully the GH4 will arrive soon!

I've started the same thread topic for the GH4 for anyone wants to participate. http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/10255/gh4-best-video-settings#Item_5

• Well, I have had a chance to play around with the Picture Styles and I can see I will have my work cut out for me. I started in the late afternoon (clear sky) with the sun dropping low toward the horizon. A bit before that mythical "golden hour". :)

First, I tried setting the Camera to "P" and auto WB/exposure and checking all of the Picture Styles with contrast, sharpening, saturation, and noise reduction (NR) set to "0". I will probably just set the WB to avoid any color cast issues due to oddball WB changes.

Ewww!

When I look at the ~30 second clips I took on my back patio (on my calibrated monitor(s)), everything appeared over sharpened, over saturated, excessively contrasted, and under exposed compared to what I could see with my eye.

I thought, "Hmmm, this is going to take longer than I thought."

So I set the Picture Style to "Standard" and tried adjusting the EV comp by +1/3, +2/3, and +1 stop. About +2/3 stop seemed right on my monitor. That helped get the brightness of the colors (mid tones) in the right ball park, but then many of the highlights were blown out. UGH!

And I had some ugly color casts in sun faded browns on the "umbrella" on the patio. Double UGH!

Then I realized that the problem was that the contrast was too high. Arrrgh!

Just like calibrating a TV, "brightness" (i.e. exposure) and contrast are inter-related. When I adjusted the contrast back down (-4 to start), the apparent "brightness" of the colors increased, so I didn't need any EV comp.

Also, as you would expect, there was a significant increase in shadow detail. Detail that was just crushed out with the contrast set to 0. AND some of my highlights came back. So now I'm going to have to play around tomorrow with various contrast settings to see what works best.

Oh, I also decided to set sharpness and NR to -5 for the reasons I thought I'd end up there in my post a couple back. I'll play with them later once I get the Picture Style, contrast, and saturation settings worked out as sharpness, especially, alters color and apparent brightness.

And as I adjusted the contrast, the apparent saturation changed. Needless to say, I'm going to be busy trying to the myriad variations available to get my GH3 in its "sweet spot". At least I have some of the variables narrowed down.

Anyway, that is today's adventure.

As the serial "Scott's adventures with GH3 settings" continues... :-D

• Love mine too ... with the little (or sometimes not so little) irritants that come with it. EVERY tool will have them. That's part of what makes having them fun, though, isn't it? I know mid-70's through late-90's Jag owners ... who love their cars ... constantly berating the original electrical harnesses shorting out every few weeks, and the way those Brit-designed/built vehicles could NOT take 90*-and up heat without blowing their cooling systems out ... on cars they'd nursed for 20 years! :)

• @rNeil - Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my GH3. I just really don't care about 4K right now. I know the potential advantages, but I don't need them right now or, frankly, for the next couple years. What interests me more about the GH4 is the high frame rate 1080p and potentially more accurate color/latitude from the HDMI port. I record sports that my kids participate in and that would be really nice.

For someone like me, the 422 10-bit capture of the sensor data would be nice when I mess up with the exposure or white balance and need some elbow room to adjust it to my liking. 10-bit helps with capture all of the dynamic range that is available from the sensor. The 422 helps make sure that the colors that are captured are more faithful to the scene than what is available from 420.

I can't remember if it was this thread or another, but this link (below) really illustrates the problem with 420 chroma subsampling:

http://gro.solexiv.de/2014/02/panasonic-gh3-color-profiles-2/

If the "Manual" part of the bottom graphic is pretty close to correct colors, then all of the variance in the colors from the video frame grabs with the different picture styles are (mostly) a result of the 420 (and a bit of the 8-bit color space). The results on this page (Original/Manual vs GH3 Picture Styles frame grabs) are in line with that found in the graphic about 1/2 way down on this page:

http://www.videomaker.com/article/15788-the-anatomy-of-chroma-subsampling

Wikipedia also has a decent article on this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroma_subsampling

I'm just posting this for anyone who isn't familiar with the issues. IMO, the GH3 does an amazing job with its video, especially considering the challenges the codec team had to overcome with outputting 420, 8-bit!

Overall, I'm very happy with the GH3! I just wish it hadn't been left wanting for some things I think it SHOULD have had output wise.

Anyway, I'm going to go out and play around with Picture Styles and then contrast, sharpness, saturation, and noise reduction for awhile. Wheee! :)

Scott

• @GlueFactoryBJJ ... Was just looking at some 4k from the GH4 on a full 4k monitor at NAB yesterday ... yea, why didn't they put all that in our GH3's? ( ha ... )

Still, dialed in with good post, the GH3 isn't anything to be embarrassed about ....

• @rNeil - Thanks for the confirmation. I'm going to be experimenting over the next week or two to see if I can get things more dialed in. It is a real shame that Panasonic elected to not include 422 10-bit HDMI out. (Sigh!)

• @andersen123 Well done! Love the music, the shots look a tiny bit underexposed, but good control of the highlights and I enjoyed your shot composition. Did you use any filters?

• @ jonpais thank you, yes the color correction is a few yellow, I was, all the time, perfectly exposed or just -1, no more. at the end of tis month, I go to Maroco to make a film with my GH3 and my canon FD lenses and slr magic, and I don't know if I take 72Mbits or 50Mbits ????

• @surfculture very nice test. strangely, I liked all of the results (especially the film convert, for a stylized look), except for the color corrected ones, which looked kind of yellowish to my eyes (but again, I'm watching on a MBP Retina, not a calibrated monitor)

• In general, you're pretty well along the way. Yep, NAIL what you can while shooting ... WB & exposure ... and to my eyes, there's not a lot of "close" to count. You've got some leeway, if you want to end up with the finest output ... but not a lot.

I tried transcoding to DNxHD at first ... but Premiere Pro works in floating-point 32 bit internally, so it doesn't really matter that much whether the files are transcoded "up" to 10-bit before it sees them. I couldn't tell a difference, I just spent more time doing it.

You're right about the differences between the GH-x and more spendy cams ... largely due to data-rates, partly due to superior sensors, processors, & camera codecs.

• I realize this will appear a bit rambling, but this is the edited version... :) In many ways, this is a kind of summary/replay of the discussions a few pages back regarding optimal settings, with MY reasoning/understanding thrown in. I just didn't really understand the "why" behind the comments, being a noob and all.

I've been playing around and taking some video outside over the last few months and, like many, have been kind of disappointed with the "color recoverability" (probably wrong term) of the GH3. Now before everyone jumps on me for this, let me explain.

Since I got my GH3 (almost exclusively for home videos) I've been playing with different settings and trying to learn how to get the most out of a camera like this. My previous camera (still have it as I'm still transferring old tapes) was a Sony HVR-Z1U HDV camcorder. By comparison, with the Z1U what was recorded was what you got. With the GH3, I have a lot more flexibility.

So I started learning about video and kept seeing that the "good" cameras for video always produced video that was really flat and dull out of the camera, but during processing would "come alive" with some color correction and grading. I was amazed. So I started trying to shoot everything as flat as I could with the GH3 (Natural, -5, -5, -5, -5) thinking I would be able to do the same.

Unfortunately, once I started processing these videos in Premiere Pro CC, there were limitations that I've been trying to ignore, but wouldn't go away. I realize that some of them could probably be addressed by using SpeedGrade or Resolve, but, for home videos and similar, that is just way more work than it is worth... I'm not a colorist. And even then, I question that the results would be as impressive.

So I've been trying to understand WHY I'm having trouble bringing back flat video out of the GH3, when it appears to be relatively easy with "higher end" cameras. And I think I've figured it out.

While I may be overstating the obvious for those of you who are professionals, I'm just trying to see if my understanding is close to correct. Here goes...

The higher end cameras don't produce video as nice (IMO) as the GH3 straight out of the camera (with just about any settings). However, their video can be brought back to the point where they CAN look better than the video on the GH3. I guess this is why all pros keep going on about "latitude".

These higher end cameras have a number of advantages that give them this ability. From my perspective they are dynamic range (sensor), bit rate, bit depth (e.g. 8 or 10-bit), color encoding (e.g. 420 or 422), and codec (I could well be missing some). While they are somewhat inter-related, it seems only two are directly responsible for the GH3's limitations and are not resolvable with things like external recorders (or sensor limited).

Because of the GH3's 420 8-bit recording/output (SD card or HDMI), it will NEVER have the latitude that the higher end cameras have. So from what I can see, it becomes even more important to get it as close to "right" out of the camera (for the look you are trying to achieve) than these higher end cameras... without a hack that will give us access to higher end recording. EPIPHANY ALERT! :)

I say this because the GH3 appears to only have about 1/3 or less of the latitude of higher end cameras due to its 420 8-bit recording (I haven't scientifically tested this, so it could be a bit higher or much lower). So we can only recover about 1/3 of the information that a higher end camera can. Due to this, we need to have the camera set close to how we want it so we can do the final color correction/grade and get our "perfect look".

Based on this, here are my thoughts on in camera settings (especially since photos and videos appear to share the settings):

Photo Style: I'm going to have to do a lot of experimentation here to see what looks best to MY eyes. I really don't know what I'm going to select here. Especially in light of discussion regarding skin tone earlier in this thread.

Contrast: I think I'm going to end up a bit higher than -5 on this one, though below 0. My reasoning here is partially based on EOSHD.com's review of the GH3 where they found -5 left some "muddy" shadow tones. Though, theoretically, a negative value here (up to the -5) should allow for increased shadow detail recovery and apparent dynamic range. Though I may get more benefit by adding some exposure compensation for an "exposure to the right" (ETTR) approach at the risk of blowing out some highlight detail (my current preference).

Sharpness: I think that this will stay at -5. However, I will need to do some experimenting to see if -5 really just doesn't add any sharpness (or minimizes what is added) or actually actively softens the video. This can affect the amount of aliasing and moire that can be see in addition to the visibility of noise.

Saturation: Like many here (though I didn't understand it before), I think that I will be setting this much closer to 0 than I have been in the past, though probably not above 0. I just haven't been able to bring the saturation back in post at -5. Not to mention that it seems to be easier to reduce saturation than to increase it without strange color artifacts.

Noise reduction: I am likely to keep this at or close to -5. I say this for two reasons. First, noise reduction will almost always reduce detail. Because of this, I would rather have the detail and associated noise and adjust it afterward to my liking (in Premiere or using Neat) than to not have it and have no way to recover the real detail (sharpening doesn't add/recover detail). Second, with products like Neat, there are far better (if more computationally expensive) methods to control noise than what is available in the GH3. Though I may increase it depending on if I don't want to do much/any noise reduction in post (i.e. how lazy I am and the video's importance).

Anyway, am I nuts? Or am I finally beginning to understand the limitations of the GH3?

I also may try transcoding to ProRes (DNxHD?) 422 10-bit to see if that helps at all in post. My poor hard drives! :)

• Hi there,

Lots of tests here ! Very interesting but a little bit confusing for me. After make my own tests, I decided to use settings recommend by Andrew Reid in his GH3 guide. And I'm pretty happy with it. For instance, I've only use the one for good light situation, Natural set to -5, -5, 0, -5. Love the way it's flat and have so much details.

For what I've seen, it's just a way of color correction and grading. All my "curves" was pretty well balance, the skin tones was not bad, pretty close naturally (very quite place in the vectorscope). If your shot is well exposed, I find the GH3 very capable. Only little corrections with FastColorCorrection (for example).

The 50Mbs is very robust, better than what I was making with the 5DmkII. You can grade pretty well without artefacts. Like @jonpais says, it's just color correct/grade. GH3 is fantastic, I'm so happy with it. If you want, I could make screenshot of my vectorscopes by default.

Here is an edit shot with my GH3, everything in Natural with -5, -5, 0, -5 settings. Just make some little corrections and grades.

Thx

• Picture Profile: Natural (-5,-4,0,-4)

Normally I use all setting at -5 but I noticed that when I have lots of underexposed areas and hard backlights I need a bit more saturation to avoid losing colours on the shadows. Graded with Film Convert and Colorista

• I wanted to see that they were difference between both modes the 72Mbits and the 50Mbits, if they changed something at the level of the skin or other one, it's up to you. I used LUT of @YAK, as well as davinci resolve and filmconvert. The white balance was made on a neutral grey in 80 % with 2 in the green.

• My eyes don't even have the same color balance.

• NTSC: Never Twice Same Color

• At least when you have the monitors calibrated, they are in the same ballpark... :)

• @GlueFactoryBJJ ...

Quite true. We had LaCie pro-type CRT monitors, one set of 'em bought three at a time ... identical monitors ... calibrated with the same equipment every time ... and all three had their own 'characteristics'. Images that looked perfect on mine came up just a bit over-yellow on the wife's.

There were a few folks what told us that when the LCD and other "modern" style monitors came in, things would be SO much better. Yea ... right ... I've seen two identical spendy "pro" monitors side-by-side on same computer, calibrated ... and there was still a slight difference in them. Between monitors of differing brands on different computers/OS & all? Not making any assumption they'll be dead-on the same.

And that of course is not considering the other big slip-up here: the eyeballs and "hardware" in the head of each person is clearly unique. Every single one of us.

Combo the above? Best guess is what you have to go with much of the time ...