Personal View site logo
Using 2560x1440 monitor to view 4K content
  • Hello all

I was wondering on what do you think guys about using a 2560x1440 monitor to view down-scaled 4K content or video edit ? I know it is not 4K, but would the footage look better on this monitor rather than a normal FHD ? The reason for my question is that I want to experiment with 4K once I get my hands on a Panasonic GH4 but the problem as it appears at the moment of writing this message (29/4/2014) that 4K monitors are too expensive and TN only.

Thanks Damian

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • That's a vague question. If your GPU has good down scaling capabilities I think the footage should look a bit sharper on this then a typical 1920x1080 monitor, but this all depends on who designs and engineers the products as well as the footage used for comparison. For example a Sony HD monitor may look better than a generic first gen 4K monitor with certain content, but not others.

• I was thinking about getting Dell UltraSharp U2713HM for this purpose, however I have read that there are issues with the IPS panel used in this monitor: backlight bleeding, low contrast, visible cross-hatching.

This monitor or any other you guys would you suggest to serve me both for 4K video editing and 2D design and composition ?

• That particular model has an incredible contrast ratio along with some pretty high eval ratings - I can't say for sure if it's any better then a typical 1920x1200 monitor (since I haven't used one) but I don't see why it wouldn't be ideal for 4K editing. It's not going to display your 4K content in its native resolution but as long as you have a decent video card it should look great for editing content. I'm presently using a Dell 3008WFP running at 2560x1600 and it looks extremely crisp to me. Granted it's costly and its price range is comparative to 4K monitors but this is designed to be a few inches away from the screen, not feet.

• I have the Dell U2713HM and pretty happy with it. I have the Dell hooked up to my 15" Retina MacBook Pro and the 4K footage looks great. I have had the monitor for almost 2 years and have had no issues. Once calibrated it looks great, however the build quality is not the greatest but the monitor was cheap and the image looks great so I can't complain.

This is a cheap monitor with very good IQ considering the price. So as long as you are ok with the build quality I think you will be happy with the this monitor. I wanted to purchase the Apple display, but at the time the Apple Display didn't even have USB 3.0 so I couldn't justify the Apple tax just for a better build quality.

• Thank you guys for you valued input. I will also read along these two threads and get a better understanding on which monitor would be my choice, although I tend to think about getting that Dell.