Personal View site logo
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • Did you guys have issues getting your GH3s? I was not on the pre-order list and got 2 of them only a couple of weeks after release. Same story with the GH2s. Hope that continues to be true for the rest of ya.

• I was not on the pre-order list and got 2 of them only a couple of weeks after release. Same story with the GH2s. Hope that continues to be true for the rest of ya.

It mostly tells about your luck, not Panasonic efforts as I know about situation in detail.

• GH2 availability was terrible for at least three if not more months.

• Good news: The free RAW conversion software RawTherapee now supports GH4 raw image files, too.

I downloaded the patch attached to this posting, applied it to the current source code from the repository, and tested with this sample GH4 raw image file, for which the camera is said to have produced this JPEG file.

Using RawTherapee, I came to the folliowing result (which IMHO looks less over-saturated than the JPEG from the camera):

You can download the .pp3 file with the conversion parameters I used (you can read this file as a text or load it as a profile into RawTherapee).

I am very pleased with the result so far, even though the picture was probably not ideal for testing, would have liked to have a better one for testing.

• @karl Nice pic & thanks for the tip, I'll give RawTherapee a try with some high ISO stuff. Update No luck with Raw Therapee. It's showing an odd magenta color cast when the file is loaded. I tried loading your .pp3 profile and it flipped it to a blue cast with burnt highlights. Not sure why it doesn't like my files :)

• I am curious about the GH4s available through Personal View. What type of warranty would they come with? In my case specifically would they be covered in Canada? Apologies if this has already been answered previously.

• @Tron: Are you sure you used the most current version and the "camconst00.patch" I mentioned above? The observation you describe sounds like what an older and unpatched version would do...

• I'm so glad to see the moire test from the comparison footage on the last page. If you look at the last shot there, the moire on the palm is clearly a problem for the other cameras aside from GH4. My GH3 (which I sold last week) just bit me too many times.

GH4zoom.png
    963 x 540 - 743K
  • Guys, does the US model GH4 has all the OSD language?

English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Russian, Chinese (Traditional), Chinese (Simplified), Dutch, Thai, Korean, Turkish, Portuguese, Arabic, Persian, Japanese, Swedish, Danish, Finnish, Greek, Vietnamese

• hello - i'm in tokyo right now - i could buy one - but only in Japanese language - are there any English language hacks yet ? - thanks

• are there any English language hacks yet ? - thanks

Of course not.

• Anyone living in or around Dublin - get down to the Photofest Show there today to check out the GH4.

• Damn! The photofest completely passed me by. I am in Limerick and my university's photographic society paid for us to go there last year and I would have loved to go again.

• My mistake @karl, must've missed that patch link in your original post... thanks for the heads-up!

• Fun fact: Dealers react on the frequent (but yet unsuccessful) searches for "Panasonic GH4" on the European Amazon web sites, and try to promote not-really-GH4-products by naming them alike - see this absurd example (advertising a cleaning cloth). :-)

• German computer magazine "Chip" posted a pretty comprehensive Panasonic Lumix GH4 vs. Sony FDR-AX100E comparison test video.

(For the non German speaking: They attest both cameras overall good results and usability. Amongst the detail Pro's and Con's they name a weaker image stabilization for video in the GH4 and the much lower bitrate the AX100 records for 4k. And they mention that despite the much lower bitrate the AX100 records, it refused to record 4k material on some ordinary, fast SDXC cards - which the GH4 had happily recorded to - so Sony had to send them a "special" SDXC card of their own for testing the 4k recording.)

• On this 'Chip' test it seems the guy forgot to turn the OIS on... too much shaky... (2:26)

• Skin tones look very organic.

• Jello is still fairly pronounced in this handheld footage. Is this using an ois lens?

• CinelikeV test from our London p-v meet up.